Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 11:40:04 PM EDT
I'm from the Altoona/J-town area.  Finally may have the opportunity to move back east but it's in the Baltimore/DC area.  Anyone commute from southern PA (right on the border) down to DC?  I'd be looking for a house and piece of land as close as possible to the mason dixon and driving.  I know it will suck.  But WITH TRAFFIC, how long of a commute would I be looking at?  I'll buy a 4-banger econobox and drive it daily...I have no issues with that if I can enjoy where I live when I get home.  Suggestions/experiences from folks who do this?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I think from southern Lancaster county you would be looking at 35-45 minute commute to Aberdeen depending on where you are going and traffic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It's 50-60 miles from the state line, depending on how you go.  Tons of traffic around that area at all hours.  Probably around 1.5-2 hours each way.

I would not take the job... in fact I wouldn't care how much money a job pays.... its not worth 3-4 hours on my time to commute.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a guess, but I'd count on minimum 1.5 hours one way.

I was stationed at Fort Meade around 2007. I lived at an apartment complex in Sykesville, it was just about 32 miles one way. In the morning I was driving in if I remember correctly to be there around 630am for PT. At that time traffic wasn't bad, I typically made it there in 30-35 minutes. Leaving at 5pm though during rush hour, it would typically take me around an hour minimum to get back to Sykesville.

A DA Civilian I worked with lived up around Thurmont, MD, which was maybe 65 miles from Meade and not far south of the PA border. I wish I could remember how long her commute was exactly, but it was well over an hour; I don't think it was as long as 90 minutes though, maybe 75. She may have had an adjusted schedule too so she wasn't leaving at rush hour, but I could be wrong about that.

Our unit commander told me one time they used to have a guy who commuted there from a farm near Gettysburg. Supposedly took him around 2 hours each way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm from further north in PA and only travel through that area maybe 10-15 times per year. The thing that sucks for me is I do group meetings with employees of employers so I cannot be late.

Sometimes it takes 1.5 hours to get through that area rarely it takes 3. But it just sucks and I dread it every time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
PA to APG is not bad, about 45 minutes to an hour to delta, southern York, oxford, and some other communities, a lot of people do it,

PA to Mead, fuck that,  Mead is about 45 minutes south of APG and you have to go on the Baltimore beltway and a 4 dollar a cross toll bridge.  the only way you should consider PA is if your working a flex schedule and work like 4, 10 hour shifts a week, assume 1.5 hours down, 3 back

ATC is doing a big hiring push right now, not sure of your background but there's a lot of interesting stuff here,  I am heading overseas for a while but will be probably coming back to area southern pa, MD isn't as bad as people let on to.

another possible option, rent a room for the week around mead for about 600 a month, go home on the weekends, was considering doing something similar for an Indian Head job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top