Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2017 7:33:16 PM EDT
Anyone in the pike, Wayne or Monroe county's know of any places for reclaimed old barn wood?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask a farmer yet?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I only know of two farms near me with old barns and it is owned by the park service. There is one in Milford, But the property is "pending sale" so figure no chance there.

I am looking for good planks, dried from age to make a dining table from. I have found a place in NY that has 3" thick hardwood boards from some old Military barns. Well at least that's what he is saying they are, no way to confirm. planning on a 72"x48" top distressed would be preferred. Nails are fine as they add character hell even some burns as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
What quantity, what type of wood, how much are you paying, and just how worn do you want?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Size of table top will be 72"x48" so quantity will depend on what width the boards/planks are. I am looking for 2 3/4-3" thick for the top. Need enough wood to do the main top, breadboard ends and a skirt. I have Turned legs already, just need the wood to make the top part.

As per type of wood depends on price, Looking for either Cherry, Hickory or maybe Black walnut. But the wood depends on size, condition etc. so cant really put a price on that until its in front of me.

And yes I know this in the end is going to be a heavy table.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Size of table top will be 72"x48" so quantity will depend on what width the boards/planks are. I am looking for 2 3/4-3" thick for the top. Need enough wood to do the main top, breadboard ends and a skirt. I have Turned legs already, just need the wood to make the top part.

As per type of wood depends on price, Looking for either Cherry, Hickory or maybe Black walnut. But the wood depends on size, condition etc. so cant really put a price on that until its in front of me.

And yes I know this in the end is going to be a heavy table.
View Quote
I wouldn't use barn wood. The wood in a barn that's 3 inches think is going to be rafters and such... maybe a few floor joists..... probably not the floor.   anyway, it will have all been inside and not exposed to weather.

what are you looking for as far as appearance of the grain? 

find a lumber mill... they might be able to help you.    I'm at the other end of the state, but I could point you to a few out here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Going to need some sort of good heavy polyurethane to seal in the mouse and bat poop.
And reconsider the 48" width for a table, to something narrower.  It will be a lot more comfortable to use.  Unless you have some massive dining room.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
JQ66, Yes large eat in kitchen with plenty of room. Current table is 40" wide and when we have friends and family over for dinner or holidays the table is cramped. As in when we put the main course out the plates are hanging over the edge a tad bit.  And the dog sure loves it..... If Food falls from the edge of a plate it is game on and never reaches the floor..

I am new to the wood working side of things like this. But I have been to a few stores that sell reclaimed wood country dining tables. They are nice and very sturdy and heavy, They should last a lifetime. So I decided this would be a good father/son project. I want a table that will seat 6 with good comfort, but can fit 8 if needed.

I do not want any leaves , Just one solid top.

I have a few pics on my phone of a table we like, I will post them up either later tonight or tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top