Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2017 1:30:05 AM EDT
I am a hunter from NY and want to look for some recreational/hunting land here in PA following a family vacation in the poconos. My family really liked it here so I am considering  here and not in NY.  I know a lot of folks hate us NYers, but I am one of you and hate the liberal jerks too.

If I was going to look for land, what areas should I target? My priorities are:
cheap. I want about 10 acres (so I can shoot on my land) and want to get away for under $100K. A small house on the property would be nice but not essential.
Close. Ideally, it should be under 3 hours from Long Island
Proximity to huntable land. It would be nice to both hunt my land and extend into bordering state land. Or drive 5 minutes to huntable land.
Proximity to a lake. The family likes boating and kayaking.
Proximity to trails for quads and snowmobiles.
Close to a small "cute" town. For the ladies
Close to supplies. Should be able to drive 15 or 20 minutes to reach a Walmart or real supermarket.
Is this a pipe dream?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The Poconos area is cheap. concentrate your search up there.

I found this one just for you..  http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Lehigh-Rd_Covington-Twp_PA_18424_M37347-81763
On a Quiet Country Road, this Level, Varied and Densely Wooded Acreage is the Perfect site for your Home or Sportsman Estate
Adjoins Game Lands, Flat, Irregular, Not in Development, Wooded Lot
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
once your in PA, id never go anywhere near Long Island...LOL
i used to work in NY. hated every minute of it. in 2013 i changed what i do, and never crossed the Hudson again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Monroe county is what you seek, plenty of shopping.  You will feel right at home in Monroe.   might be able to find some land North of I80 in your price range.

If you are looking for nice hunting land for a deal,  it can had cheap and is pristine, you should look in up state NY.  Eastern PA is way way over hunted,  most deer do not or barely meet the antler restriction,  and the game commission is always on the lookout if you bait deer in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I found this one just for you..  http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Lehigh-Rd_Covington-Twp_PA_18424_M37347-81763
On a Quiet Country Road, this Level, Varied and Densely Wooded Acreage is the Perfect site for your Home or Sportsman Estate
View Quote

Interesting. Thank you. I will look into how well that fits my other criteria.
It does seem odd that it has been on the market almost 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
once your in PA, id never go anywhere near Long Island...LOL
i used to work in NY. hated every minute of it. in 2013 i changed what i do, and never crossed the Hudson again.
View Quote

I am here because of family. If it were up to me, I would be long gone by now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it doesn't have any services and perhaps to put them in is an issue, but you said you wanted a hunting property and maybe a cabin. this place butts up to  a State game land and it close enough to town for you and theres a nice size lake to the North East.   If you need a place to stay while there my advice is to buy a big used RV and leave it there.  You wont need services right away or perhaps ever. you would just have to bring in a water buffalo and get it filled, that way you don't have to tote water in.  The sewage water you will have to deal with, but I think you can figure out how to pump in into a tank in the bed of your truck and dump it at a real RV park for a fee.   Then later if you choose to build a home, you will have years invested into the property and years to get the needed services brought in and its not a big rush.  You probably wont be going there every single weekend, so you would be able to rough it in a RV till you build a cabin.  I guess it depends on how many people will be joining you and that you didn't really say.

I just wanted to point it out to you that there are properties within your driving range, budget and other requirements that are affordable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top