Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 6:25:27 AM EDT
Philadelphia Soda Tax Results in 50% Sales Decrease + Mass Layoffs

don't ya just love the free market system? price an item beyond the means of buyers--and guess what?--THEY DON'T BUY!

Heck...even small kids figured out THAT!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The current Mayor of Philadelphia appears to be a total whack a hole.   He is the poster child of tard in libtard.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
And the tax is on ALL sweetened beverages, not just soda, and included artificial sweetener.

t's easier to list the things NOT taxed:
plain water
HOT coffee & tea
100% juice - any blended juices below 100% are taxed
Baby formula
Most dairy milks - some nut based milks are taxed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Another loser: labor unions. Danny Grace, head of the Teamsters union, representing many of the drivers, said members have seen pay cut by as much as 70 percent because they’re moving fewer products. “Many of them have quit as a result,” Grace said. He did not provide specific figures.
View Quote

Meanwhile I'll be picking up some Pepsi at a Weiss at a 5-for-$5.00 Deal and paying only Sales tax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
For years I'd make a weekly lunch break run to Costco or Wally World for supplies/beverages since it saved a stop going home or over the weekend.
Can't complete that mission any longer, as every place by the office (which is just 2 miles outside of Philadelphia county) is PICKED FRIGGING CLEAN of beverage.
I can't fathom how the city can claim higher than expected revenue from the tax in January... unless it was just liquidation of existing stocks.
No one I know still living in Philuja buys the stuff inside city limits.  Most have stopped purchasing ANYTHING inside the city.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I said exactly this! I am not economist but I do have common sense.

This TAX only hurts Philly business’s. Lets face it Philly is not that big most residents will just drive to the border and get their groceries. People are pretty dumb to think something like this could even work.

More importantly tax should not be used to help people decided on what they should or should not buy. Philly wake up dont just drive out of town to buy your goods contact your representatives and raise a fuss.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Hilarious, I absolutely despise liberalism.

You have a very large municipality with 1.2 million people living within the city limits. You tax wages on top of state income for both residents and non residents. In addition you tax cigarettes and sugar drinks for even more tax revenue yet they can't afford to pay for anything. Good job Democrats, you've done one hell of a job. It must be convenient to be a Democrat because they fuck up everything they touch and then point the finger at Republicans and blame them.

Every year I hear city officials blaming Harrisburg for not being able to keep the schools open. I wonder how many philly residents pay zero tax. Philly is a burden on the entire state and I wish we could give it to New Jersey. They're going to drag the rest of the state down with them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I like how the Mayor said the soda distributors are greedy. The asshole needs to look in a mirror.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sugar is like a drug now they practically smuggle it into the country.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
business is kicking just outside philthydelphia where i live. pepsi guy spent his whole day putting product out in only 2 stores. 8 pallets in one store. he didnt say what was in the other one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top