Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 2:40:32 PM EDT
I live north of Pittsburgh.  Cranberry to be exact.  I have a few old semi shotguns that need some TLC.  These were my fathers guns.  He past away and my mother moved them in to the basement.  Well as luck would have it her basement flooded.  I now have surface rust on the barrels.  The bore looks clean but I want someone to take them apart and go over them with a fine tooth comb.  They might need to be re-blued. Can anyone recommend a good gun smith anywhere in the Pittsburgh area?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good results with Doug Hall, but he's in Connellsville.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Try contacting Bruno's gunsmithing in Cheswick. He's right off of the turnpike at the Allegheny Valley exit. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try contacting Bruno's gunsmithing in Cheswick. He's right off of the turnpike at the Allegheny Valley exit. 
View Quote

Would that be Dave Bruno? Are you sure he's still in Cheswick?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he moved too. 
                     Bruno's Gunsmithing & Supplies     919 Kittanning Ave
Dayton, PA 16222  

Title:Owner
Phone:                        724-274-6607                                      
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard good things about a gunsmith in the Valencia area that's been there forever but forget the name.

Dammit sorry.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've heard good things about a gunsmith in the Valencia area that's been there forever but forget the name.

Dammit sorry.
View Quote
this dude,
Stewart Custom Gunsmithing
104 Denny Rd, Valencia, PA 16059-2314  

Phone: (724) 898-1572
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think he moved too. 
                     Bruno's Gunsmithing & Supplies     919 Kittanning Ave
Dayton, PA 16222  

Title:Owner
Phone:                        724-274-6607                                      
View Quote

Yep, if that's who JK is referring to he did. He converted my CZ527 to 6.5 Grendel a few years back. He did fantastic work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, if that's who JK is referring to he did. He converted my CZ527 to 6.5 Grendel a few years back. He did fantastic work.
View Quote
This was the guy I was referring to. I wasn't aware he had relocated; he was in Cheswick for the longest time. I think he was still there as recently as about 5 years ago?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This was the guy I was referring to. I wasn't aware he had relocated; he was in Cheswick for the longest time. I think he was still there as recently as about 5 years ago?
View Quote

Could be. When he built my Grendel he was in Dayton, I think that was probably 2013. That was the first time I ever dealt with him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. I called Economy Gunsmith.  They are about 10 minutes from my house.  I will let you know how it goes.  I will take before and after pictures.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Let us know.

My dad took a few shotguns there years back to get cleaned up. I don't recall what he thought of their work. I've been in their shop a time or two. Dark, dungey old place.

We're ex-"neighbors." I grew up in that area and miss it dearly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
forget his name and but give high tech handgun, good group of guys

9012 Perry Hwy, Pittsburgh, PA 15237
(412) 367-9294
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I called Economy Gunsmith.  They are about 10 minutes from my house.  I will let you know how it goes.  I will take before and after pictures.
View Quote

My friend Mark, recommended them to me for some trigger work on my Interarms Mark X rifle.  I dropped it off Friday and it was ready Monday.  Reasonable price also.

Mark had a Winchester Model 12 solid rib and a Winchester 1906 pump .22 refinished, both metal and wood, and it looks as if it just came out of the factory.

They used to do all the factory wood refinishing for Beretta USA.

Good people.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any updates?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Any updates?
View Quote

No updates yet.  He said it should take 2 weeks.  It will be 2 weeks this Friday.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#18]
If you took your gun to Hi Tech it went to Economy Gumsmithing to be repaired.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I do this up at Allegheny Gunworks in Bethel Park. We just opened a few weeks ago. Economy is swamped at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I do this up at Allegheny Gunworks in Bethel Park. We just opened a few weeks ago. Economy is swamped at the moment.
View Quote
Do you anodize completed 80's?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you anodize completed 80's?
View Quote
Yup.

SchlaffTablett is the owner, and you can probably ping him for the phone number to call in regards to pricing. I don't want to be dinged for trying to advertise without a dealer account.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#22]
you can edit your post.
I already know him.
just wondering about the 80's and if you did them onsite.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm around 5 minutes away from there.

Probably gonna head over to the grand opening today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted: It will be 2 weeks this Friday.
View Quote
Yankee, how did things turn out?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
you can edit your post.
I already know him.
just wondering about the 80's and if you did them onsite.
View Quote
Not on site, but it's near by.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm around 5 minutes away from there.

Probably gonna head over to the grand opening today or tomorrow.
View Quote
I'll probably see you if you pop in. I'll be the only youngish looking dude wearing a hat (unless J money is wearing one).
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll probably see you if you pop in. I'll be the only youngish looking dude wearing a hat (unless J money is wearing one).
View Quote
Stopped in yesterday for a bit, had  cwar hat on.

Talked with Josh for a few minutes, looked around (nice place).

Got a call from the mechanic, wife's Jeep was ready to be picked up, so I had to go.

I like that there is a gun smith so close.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Stopped in yesterday for a bit, had  cwar hat on.

Talked with Josh for a few minutes, looked around (nice place).

Got a call from the mechanic, wife's Jeep was ready to be picked up, so I had to go.

I like that there is a gun smith so close.
View Quote
I may have seen you. I was the only dipdork runnng around with a black shirt on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I may have seen you. I was the only dipdork runnng around with a black shirt on.
View Quote
Do you guys have a laser engraver?

Feel free to pm if you don't want to worry about advertising...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got my shotgun back.  It took over a month for him to work on it.  The reason why it took so long is that he does not blue or re finish the material himself.  He has another company that does all of the re-finishing.  He waits until he get a bunch of items that needs to be refinished and sends them all out.  It turned out great.  This is the first time I am trying to upload pictures so I am not sure if it is going to work with my google drive.

As you can see in the pictures there was a good amount of rust and pitting.  He was able to remove all of the rust and pitting. I cannot see any pitting on the barrel at all.  He told me that only the barrel had rust on it. Since this was the only part that needed some TLC he only sent that part out to be refinished.  There is a slight color difference between the receiver and barrel but nothing that sticks out.  I can take a picture of the receiver and barrel if someone would like to see the color difference  

Before 1

Before 2

After 1

After 2
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:09:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice job, worth the wait.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool update OP 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Economy does there own reblueing Rich is a good friend. It's a all day job blueing so they wait until they have enough to make it worth their time. There isn't much they send out most services done in house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top