Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2017 12:46:30 AM EDT
So, now that semi autos are allowed for hunting use in PA for the next hunting season, those of you that plan to use them on deer, what load are you going to use?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Use something like Barnes TSX or Fusion MSR. If you're buying factory ammo vs reloading make sure the round has a hard primer. IIRC MSR does and I'd bet anything from Barnes does as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, despite how the misleading headlines read all through late last year, unless I missed some new news much more recently, you're still not allowed to hunt deer with semi-auto rifles this coming season.

As I understand it, the only change so far has been that the PGC is now allowed to regulate use of semi-autos for hunting. There's been no changes to their regs as far as I've heard. The rumor is we may see a change where we can use semi-autos for coyotoes, maybe small game, but not likely for deer any time soon, if ever.

ETA: Scratch that, I guess I'm behind the times.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a ~14 page thread on the Deer Hunting portion of the site that discusses 5.56/.223 hunting rounds.  I have some Federal Fusion that I plan on trying next season.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, despite how the misleading headlines read all through late last year, unless I missed some new news much more recently, you're still not allowed to hunt deer with semi-auto rifles this coming season.

As I understand it, the only change so far has been that the PGC is now allowed to regulate use of semi-autos for hunting. There's been no changes to their regs as far as I've heard. The rumor is we may see a change where we can use semi-autos for coyotoes, maybe small game, but not likely for deer any time soon, if ever.
View Quote

I honestly didn't notice which season it begins but I'm almost certain it is the 17-18 seasons. Yes, you've missed a lot. Semi is approved for all game animals.

https://timesleader.com/news/630480/game-commission-approves-measure-to-allow-semi-automatic-rifles-for-hunting

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationResources/MediaReportsSurveys/Documents/2017%20January%20Agenda.pdf

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_14/606534_PA-House-Bill-263--Semi-Auto-Rifles-LAST-DAY.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a ~14 page thread on the Deer Hunting portion of the site that discusses 5.56/.223 hunting rounds.  I have some Federal Fusion that I plan on trying next season.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/626832_223--Deer-Hunting-Rounds.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have looked through that thread already. My only point of contention is are we restricted to using soft points of some sort or is it simply no FMJ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Wow, so that development was just in the last week or so. That's kind of shocking, I never thought I'd see it happen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have looked through that thread already. My only point of contention is are we restricted to using soft points of some sort or is it simply no FMJ?
View Quote

I didn't see any restriction on bullet type but please don't use FMJ. Use something designed to expand.

Disregard that, this was in the article and I forgot about it.

"For deer and bear, full-metal jacket rounds are not permitted and semi-automatics used for big game are limited to a five-round magazine capacity. The measure also carries a sunset provision that expires on June 30, 2020 to allow for a board review the measure."
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wow, so that development was just in the last week or so. That's kind of shocking, I never thought I'd see it happen.
View Quote

I added a news article link if you didn't see it in the thread.

I didn't think it would happen like it did. I expected it to come in bits and pieces. Going all in by the game commission was the right way.

ETA Still needs final approval on March 27,28
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I didn't see any restriction on bullet type but please don't use FMJ. Use something designed to expand.

Disregard that, this was in the article and I forgot about it.

"For deer and bear, full-metal jacket rounds are not permitted and semi-automatics used for big game are limited to a five-round magazine capacity. The measure also carries a sunset provision that expires on June 30, 2020 to allow for a board review the measure."
View Quote

LOL, I certainly wasn't planning on using FMJ. I was simply stating that PA does not allow the use of FMJ for hunting. I simply didn't know if Hollow Points and such were good to go or if I was limited to just soft point bullets.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL, I certainly wasn't planning on using FMJ. I was simply stating that PA does not allow the use of FMJ for hunting. I simply didn't know if Hollow Points and such were good to go or if I was limited to just soft point bullets.
View Quote

I'll see if I can find the actual code.

2322 (a)(4)

"     § 2322.  Prohibited devices and methods.
       (a)  General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this
    title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or
    take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or
    take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following
    devices or methods:
           (1)  Any device other than a centerfire or muzzle-loading
       firearm or bow and arrow.
           (2)  Any automatic or semiautomatic firearm, except that
       any semiautomatic firearm modified to permit one shell in the
       chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be
       used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total
       use of one or both hands.
           (3)  Any firearm propelling more than one projectile per
       discharge.
           (4)  Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not
       designed to expand on contact.
           (5)  When any big game is swimming.
           (6)  By any other method or device which is not
       specifically authorized or permitted by this title or
       commission regulation.
       (b)  Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary
    offense of the fifth degree.
       (c)  Contraband.--Any big game killed contrary to this
    section is contraband."
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:05:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Can we hunt using an SBR in PA? The only rifle I have is an 11.5" SBR that I am currently awaiting my suppressor to hopefully be approved any day now. Anyway I ventured over to that other thread and figured out what bullet types seem to work and I obviously need to start looking up the rules for hunting in PA. But until then.

Every year I tell myself next year I am going hunting but my lack of time usually keeps me from getting the knowledge and equipment ready in time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can we hunt using an SBR in PA? The only rifle I have is an 11.5" SBR that I am currently awaiting my suppressor to hopefully be approved any day now. Anyway I ventured over to that other thread and figured out what bullet types seem to work and I obviously need to start looking up the rules for hunting in PA. But until then.

Every year I tell myself next year I am going hunting but my lack of time usually keeps me from getting the knowledge and equipment ready in time.
View Quote

I don't know about the legality of it, but I don't think I would be too comfortable using that. I would think velocity would start becoming an issue with 5.56 for hunting purposes. I could be completely wrong though. I know it will work just fine on humans, but deer seem to have this drive to live like no other creature I know of.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, now that semi autos are allowed for hunting use in PA for the next hunting season, those of you that plan to use them on deer, what load are you going to use?
View Quote

its not a done deal till the final board meeting in March.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quit pissing in my cornflakes... I needs this....
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't, for deer.. but I'm not going to make a stink about it, because that's anti-gun behavior... I don't think the average fudd can handle a semi-auto after a weekend of huntin camp.   OTOH, think of how many more hunting rifles will be traded in for semi-auto's, and if you like bolt actions and hunting rifles, I'm sure many more will come on the market.  Since demand will be low, price will be good.

I hope Sunday hunting never happens....  that dirt bikers day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't, for deer.. but I'm not going to make a stink about it, because that's anti-gun behavior... I don't think the average fudd can handle a semi-auto after a weekend of huntin camp.   OTOH, think of how many more hunting rifles will be traded in for semi-auto's, and if you like bolt actions and hunting rifles, I'm sure many more will come on the market.  Since demand will be low, price will be good.

View Quote

I don't know about that. I think there is enough traditional people in PA that bolt actions are still going to be the norm. But hey, if it does happen, I will gladly buy old hunting rifles. I love old guns. Thinking the average fudd can't handle a semi-auto for hunting is a bad way of thinking though. That is rather ant-gun behavior as well.

As for hunting on Sundays, you can hunt on Sundays, you just can't hunt every season on Sundays. Hell, I can hunt coyotes day or night. I just have to do different things depending on what else is in season at the time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know about that. I think there is enough traditional people in PA that bolt actions are still going to be the norm. But hey, if it does happen, I will gladly buy old hunting rifles. I love old guns. Thinking the average fudd can't handle a semi-auto for hunting is a bad way of thinking though. That is rather ant-gun behavior as well.

As for hunting on Sundays, you can hunt on Sundays, you just can't hunt every season on Sundays. Hell, I can hunt coyotes day or night. I just have to do different things depending on what else is in season at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everyone is as responsible as the average ARF member with their guns...  those are the FUDDs im referring to.   I participate in the public sight in day at my private gun club.  OMG   the shit people do or say is unbelievable.  waving their guns around. show up with loaded guns. scopes mounted backwards. scopes loose. guys who don't know how to adjust their scopes.  They all have the same excuse, "I didn't know"  Mix all that with a weekend of drinking before first day at the old hunting camp up in the mountains and that's what im talking about.
I talk to enough veteran hunters every year to realize that there are more than you think don't know what they are doing.  Something about our sport, draws in tards.

I meant Sundays for deer and small game.  I know you can hunt other stuff, but that's not all that common.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: I don't think the average fudd can handle a semi-auto after a weekend of huntin camp.
View Quote

Explain to me how the action of the firearm makes the handler of said firearm more or less safe?

I await your answer, Senator Feinstein.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Explain to me how the action of the firearm makes the handler of said firearm more or less safe?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I don't think the average fudd can handle a semi-auto after a weekend of huntin camp.

You're right. I'm a commie
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I've talked to I think six people about this since I found out the other day. Only one had heard about it already. Only one had a semi positive reaction about it, all the others ranged from less than favorable to vehemently against it.

We do have a lot of slob hunters out there, but the fact is they can do a lot of damage with what they use now too. Being the vast majority of states already allow this, and they're talking about a 5-round mag limit (?), I doubt we're going to see much of a difference one way or another.

I tend to look at it on the side of more freedom is good. It's honestly probably not going to affect how I hunt much. I'll still be using a bolt action this coming season, just don't see the need to change and I like my bolt guns anyway. Down the road I may build a Grendel AR and use that though. I don't really care much about the quick follow-up shots, but I do tend to prefer the ergos of an AR.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I've talked to a handful of the guys that hunt the adjacent properties and got mixed reactions as well...
Oddly enough, the ones against it all happen to own "Mennonite Machineguns" and are the absolute worst shots/firearms handlers I know.
I thank the Lord they hunt on adjacent properties and not the one I hunt...
I've personally witnessed the loudest objector empty his 760 at both standing and running deer, reload, and empty the 2nd mag in under 10 seconds.
I the 30 years I've known him, he's hit 1 deer.  In the foot. From 10 yards. With a Contender.

Honestly, I'm beyond thrilled at the idea of being able to (FINALLY!) use a semi-auto in PA.
I have 2 family members who will benefit GREATLY from the reduction recoil/simplified operation alone.. (One missing arm below elbow, one wheelchair bound.)
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've talked to a handful of the guys that hunt the adjacent properties and got mixed reactions as well...
Oddly enough, the ones against it all happen to own "Mennonite Machineguns" and are the absolute worst shots/firearms handlers I know.
I thank the Lord they hunt on adjacent properties and not the one I hunt...
I've personally witnessed the loudest objector empty his 760 at both standing and running deer, reload, and empty the 2nd mag in under 10 seconds.
I the 30 years I've known him, he's hit 1 deer.  In the foot. From 10 yards. With a Contender.

Honestly, I'm beyond thrilled at the idea of being able to (FINALLY!) use a semi-auto in PA.
I have 2 family members who will benefit GREATLY from the reduction recoil/simplified operation alone.. (One missing arm below elbow, one wheelchair bound.)
View Quote

I thought handicapped hunters in PA were allowed semiauto as well as hunting from vehicles.

*Sorry about all the hijacking, OP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice, I'll use my 458 socom, but will never shoot anything.  Stupid deer wake me up whenever I find the perfect pine tree to sleep under.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought handicapped hunters in PA were allowed semiauto as well as hunting from vehicles.

View Quote

Hunt from vehicle, yes.
Use semi-auto, no... at least not yet...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I seem to recall some caliber restrictions in years past for deer hunting in PA? Did I make that up? Has .223 been legal to use on deer in a bolt gun?

The point of my question: Can we use .223/5.56 chambered ARs or do I need to start building a .308?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I seem to recall some caliber restrictions in years past for deer hunting in PA? Did I make that up? Has .223 been legal to use on deer in a bolt gun?

The point of my question: Can we use .223/5.56 chambered ARs or do I need to start building a .308?
View Quote

Some states have a caliber restrictions. The only big game in PA that had a caliber restriction were elk with a .27.

223 has always been legal for PA whitetail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can't make any assumptions yet.
The final approval won't be till late March.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some states have a caliber restrictions. The only big game in PA that had a caliber restriction were elk with a .27.

223 has always been legal for PA whitetail.
View Quote

Good info. I guess I always just grabbed a 30-30/.308 and never thought about it.

Gonna probably try some Federal Fusions this year in .223.

Speaking to the 5 round magazine capacity. Do we think we will have to block magazines? Or we can just throw 5 rounds in a 10 round mag?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good info. I guess I always just grabbed a 30-30/.308 and never thought about it.

Gonna probably try some Federal Fusions this year in .223.

Speaking to the 5 round magazine capacity. Do we think we will have to block magazines? Or we can just throw 5 rounds in a 10 round mag?
View Quote

That's a good question. My bet is blocked since that's the case now with shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's a good question. My bet is blocked since that's the case now with shotguns.
View Quote

That's the same logic I'm going with. I'll be using factory 5rd mags or pmags with limiters and bases superglued.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#32]
A caliber restriction now would be dumb.
For years you could hunt deer/bear with any caliber as long as its centerfire. Now because semi auto will be legal to use its suddenly an issue.

Also, pretty sure currently if you meet certain criteria you can legally hunt with a semi auto.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For years you could hunt deer/bear with any caliber as long as its centerfire. Now because semi auto will be legal to use its suddenly an issue.

Also, pretty sure currently if you meet certain criteria you can legally hunt with a semi auto.
View Quote

We were correct.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=140920

Under the hunters with disabilities section of the game code.

"SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARM FOR BIG GAME
(No Permit Required)

Minimum Qualifications:
Amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands.

Qualified Persons May: Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear. Firearms must be modified to one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in the magazine.

Qualified Persons May Not: Possess a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the person additionally holds a disabled persons permit described in Section 2923, of the Game and Wildlife Code

VETERANS WITH DISABILITIES LICENSE FEE EXEMPTIONS
for Regular Hunting and Furtaker Licenses only"
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, learn something new every day!
One uncle will be glad to hear that...
Odd that it's restricted to only those who lost hand/arm usage..
Wheelchair bound uncle would certainly appreciate a semi too...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only caliber restriction is for elk.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Only caliber restriction is for elk.
View Quote

Appreciate the response. I guess I'm gonn'a have to pick up some Federal Fusions and see how they group.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't gimp around with .223.  Get a 6.8 upper and have a lot more room to work with.  Palmetto State has them cheap and a few other places do too.  7.62x39 wouldn't be a bad choice, and 6.5 Grendel is quite nice also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
No worries! This thread is all about information!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't gimp around with .223.  Get a 6.8 upper and have a lot more room to work with.  Palmetto State has them cheap and a few other places do too.  7.62x39 wouldn't be a bad choice, and 6.5 Grendel is quite nice also.
View Quote
Or, being the poor fella that I am, I could use what I already have at my disposal instead of getting into a completely new caliber and all that that entails, lol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Or, being the poor fella that I am, I could use what I already have at my disposal instead of getting into a completely new caliber and all that that entails, lol.
View Quote

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

I definitely thought about the 6.5 and 6.8 uppers but I'm tempted to give the .223 a chance. I've been seeing a lot of people with good reports on them for "our size" deer. Depending on where you're hunting in PA I can't imagine that a 50-100 yard shot on a PA Wilds white tail wouldn't suffice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Just my take, but if I have the option of hunting deer with a .223 simply because it's my only semi-auto, or a larger more appropriate caliber in a manually operated rifle that has worked fine for me for years, I'm going with the larger caliber.

And actually this is my current situation. I have my .223/5.56 AR, but I'm not going to hunt deer with it just for the sake of using a semi auto. My bolt guns will be fine until down the road I build an AR in a different caliber. It's not that important to me, just a novelty.

That said, shot placement is key.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Having seen the lack of stopping power first hand, I highly recommend against using 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Somebody help me out here. I could be completely off base on this, but I can't help but shake this vague recollection that at one time (years ago and during a certain rules era), PA had a "no smaller than .243" clause for deer hunting center fires? I'll be 41 in April and I'm thinking this was the case when I was a kid? If only during a certain window of time?

And granted, .223 "can" get the job done on a deer. I won't be doing it though. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Somebody help me out here. I could be completely off base on this, but I can't help but shake this vague recollection that at one time (years ago and during a certain rules era), PA had a "no smaller than .243" clause for deer hunting center fires? I'll be 41 in April and I'm thinking this was the case when I was a kid? If only during a certain window of time?

And granted, .223 "can" get the job done on a deer. I won't be doing it though. 
View Quote

There was never a restriction. Wording in the old game books said 22 or 25 caliber rimfire.

Info and pics on this page and I'll add the other discussion thread on the topic that lead me there.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=127689&page=6

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=173379
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Having seen the lack of stopping power first hand, I highly recommend against using 5.56mm.
View Quote
Shot placement and ammo selection. I'm not at all worried about it. I find it amusing being on THIS message board and people acting like 5.56 is underpowered for deer but perfectly fine for humans, hogs, coyotes, so on so forth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top