Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 3:53:00 PM EDT
Wondering how many people have utilized a PA 529 College Savings Plan for a family member. GSP vs investment plan, noteworthy returns, etc. I would really like to start saving towards something for my children since they're young and feel like this might be a good direction to take.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I used it when I went back to Pitt to get my MBA, primarily to take advantage of the PA tax deduction (I was still working full-time when I took the classes).  I don't remember the returns since I only had it for 2.5 years, but it is a great investment vehicle if you're starting to save for someone who will have a couple of years of gaining interest before making any withdrawals.

Link to some quick facts regarding the plan - http://www.pa529.com/learn/

ETA: One thing I want to point out that I make sure you're aware of - if you go the route of the Investment Plan, please take time to look at the portfolio expense ratios.  Some of them are quite high (0.40%).  My suggestion would be to start out in the growth-oriented portfolios while your children are still young, and as they approach 14-16 years old, you allocate the funds to the more conservative-based options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top