Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2017 7:40:46 PM EDT
Hey all,
Looks like my move to PA will be happening soon.
Went house hunting over xmas break and found some great prospects.

We have it narrowed down to a few areas and houses.
Can anyone give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on Manchester?
The schools look like they've gotten better in the past couple of years.
The area we are looking is very suburban and all neighbors properties are extremely well kept, including the houses we're looking into.
Any info is greatly appreciated and will put our minds a little more at ease.
Also, what are the prefered ranges or gun clubs in the area?
Any good gun stores?
I think a suppressor and to sbr my 300blackout is in my future
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Manchester is good but I would go the other direction towards Palmyra and annville if possible. Good schools,lower taxes, smaller city,less traffic and way better houses for the money.

ETA: local range is $115 yr and has indoor 22rifle and all cal pistol 24/7 and outdoor everything else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tips.
Can't wait to start enjoying freedom.
Even my kids are psyched after trying out the shooting gallery at the Cabelas Hamburg.
Local range sounds awesome. Way cheaper than anything by me in ny.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If your near Harrisburg check to see how close your are to Mifflin County Rifle range 1000 plus yard rifle range etc.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Manchester is closer to Etown than Harrisburg. Where will you be commuting to? Palmyra, Hershey, and areas on the outskirts of Harrisburg like Linglestown are nice. There are several class 3 dealers in the area Trops, Lanco Tactical, and Staudts. Trops is great but pricey.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manchester is good but I would go the other direction towards Palmyra and annville if possible. Good schools,lower taxes, smaller city,less traffic and way better houses for the money.

ETA: local range is $115 yr and has indoor 22rifle and all cal pistol 24/7 and outdoor everything else.
View Quote

I no longer live there, but it sounds like we used to be neighbor's! Palmyra Sportsmans club is (was) great! Lots of options and a cheap price. I loved the area, but like all things, it's getting too developed.

OP, welcome to the area, though I'm no longer there.  When I look at the value of my parents' house, it's under $200k for a 2,200 sq ft house, 5 bed/2 baths/2 car garage.  You should be able to find something nice if you don't mind updating it.  I don't know where you're coming from in NY, but the area is very old.  Annville was settled before the French and Indian War was over.  There's lots of suburbs out there from the 60s/70s/80s where you can find a house that you can update for cheap.  

Palmyra was a good school when I lived there, Annville (the old school) was a smaller, poorer school.  A "cow school" as they would call us.  Wouldn't trade it for the world now, though.

For recreation, I was a big fan of Swatara Gap and the Rails to Trails programs.  Anywhere in the Lebanon Valley is a short drive to some wilderness.  And congratulations, you're in the land of gunshops, as I used to call it.  When I'd go home on leave, I'd hit up Shyda's, Trop, Cabelas, Enck's Gun Barn, Horseshoe Pike (a few times, they're a newcomer), Lanco Tactical, Kinnseys, etc. all in one journey.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Manchester is closer to Etown than Harrisburg. Where will you be commuting to? Palmyra, Hershey, and areas on the outskirts of Harrisburg like Linglestown are nice. There are several class 3 dealers in the area Trops, Lanco Tactical, and Staudts. Trops is great but pricey.
View Quote
Manchester.
That's West of the Susquehanna River and is closer to York than it is to Harrisburg.
Elizabethtown is on the Eastern side of the river.

Manchester, being close to York, you have Layman's in East Prospect and Freedom Armory just off I83 near the PA/MD border for Class III SOT's.   The Armory not only has indoor ranges for both rifle and pistol, they also Manufacture their own line of Suppressors.  They are also a bit on the Pricey side.

Layman's is somewhat on the backroads but has a Good Collection of Class III Goodies.  I got to fondle a Registered HK-53 SBR at Layman's this afternoon.  This particular rifle also had a Registered Sear inside it.  All yours for $39,500.00 and two $200 tax stamps: One for the sears, the other for the SBR.

SO..... Are you going to be North or South of Harrisburg?  East or West of the Susquehanna River
Big differences on commute times.  Especially if you have to cross the River.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all of the replies.
We looked into Palmyra,  Anneville,  Mechanicsburg,  etc.
The market was crap for the past several months unfortunately.

On a side note,
Looks like our offer was accepted in Manchester.
Totally surprised by that.  All of a sudden shit got real.

As for commute,  currently looking for employment in Harrisburg,  York,  Mechanicsburg,  possibly Manheim.
It all comes down to who wants to hire a Manhattan architect.  

The ranges and dealers sound great.
I'll definitely check them all out after we settle in,  etc.  
As soon as we close I'll put in for a PA driver license and Ccw from York County.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Try B H.  It might work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try B H.  It might work.
View Quote
Thanks, I'll give them a shot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the replies.
We looked into Palmyra,  Anneville,  Mechanicsburg,  etc.
The market was crap for the past several months unfortunately.

On a side note,
Looks like our offer was accepted in Manchester.
Totally surprised by that.  All of a sudden shit got real.

As for commute,  currently looking for employment in Harrisburg,  York,  Mechanicsburg,  possibly Manheim.
It all comes down to who wants to hire a Manhattan architect.  

The ranges and dealers sound great.
I'll definitely check them all out after we settle in,  etc.  
As soon as we close I'll put in for a PA driver license and Ccw from York County.
View Quote

There will be a hidden line in you house deed that you must make two liberals move to ny for each new resident in the house hold
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Lmfao my family is far from liberal, thus the move from behind enemy lines.
I can sell my thordsen stock and ar spur grip to a NYer and give my ARs their balls back. :P
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Freedom Armory is about 30 minutes from me. I came So Close to buying one of their suppressors back in December

I bought my Very First suppressor from Scott around the Turn of the Century.
Freedom Armory Machine Works Suppressors
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh man that is sooooo coooool.
The 22lr suppressed sounds like s staple gun indoors.
I like the universal type suppressor. Can't wait to have all of my barrels threaded to share one.

Thanks for the video!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like the universal type suppressor. Can't wait to have all of my barrels threaded to share one.

Thanks for the video!
View Quote

If you shoot 9mm, get a take apart 9mm can with interchangeable adapters. 22lr,22mag,9mm, 300blk is all possible with one can.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the video!
View Quote
A few weeks ago I shot off a magazine worth of Rimfire using a 9mm suppressor of mine.  While louder than a Dedicated .22 Rimfire would be it was still quiet enough so as Not to need ear protection.  I can only guess what my Walther will sound like come Late Summer/Early Fall will be.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Manchester isn't a bad area but 83 is awful to travel during rush hour.  Depending on where your employment is, you might want to keep this in mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top