Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2016 11:40:13 AM EDT
How are these areas (schools, crime, housing)?   I am looking at a job in the Beach Lake area. Any recommends for good areas within commutable distance?  How are Stroudsbourg, Poconos, Bushkill, & Scranton?

Looks like Pike county is more rural than Monroe.  Monroe has some good sized & priced properties but the property taxes/HOA's can get really steep.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Monroe county is a dump filled with NY and NJ transplants that brought their shithead friends and family. The Developments are crime havens and the schools generally suck. Beach Lake is going to be a hump from Monroe County especially in the winter. Wayne or Pike are going to be more rural and easier commute.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Monroe county is a dump filled with NY and NJ transplants that brought their shithead friends and family. The Developments are crime havens and the schools generally suck. Beach Lake is going to be a hump from Monroe County especially in the winter. Wayne or Pike are going to be more rural and easier commute.
View Quote

What he said. Lived in Monroe county for my whole life. I have watched it go downhill year after year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
ok thanks for the intel.

I am looking at Honedale and Hawley area now.    I am hoping to get some property with a few acres to shoot on.

Whats the deal with some wells being contaminated by local fracking operations?   Or is that only in Susquehanna county?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah right next to Lake Wallenpaupack. I have a cabin near Ledgedale on the other side of the lake.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Total bullshit, the fracking didn't contaminate the wells. The methane has been in those water supplies for years. Some people didn't lease and then wanted money. Wayne county is still mostly blocked by the Delaware river basin authority on drilling.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have narrowed it down to Lackawaxen/Masthope/Shohola (correction!) areas.   I was looking at the Bushkill area but its too far for me to commute.  

Are there any local newspapers that advertise rooms for rent in the area?  I will be going in mid January to start work and the family will be coming out after school is out in late May.  

Any tips or things to be aware for renting/buying in this area?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Working where?  

I have a farm in shohola.  No matter which township you end up in I would recommend being as rural as possible.  The denser populated areas are often filled with weekend city people.  Sometimes their city problems come with them.  

Shohola is a nice township, ordinances such as "gunfire shall not be considered a nuisance".  Stay away from the lake and mini-subdivision areas, they're all city people.  

Craigslist is pretty commonly used and a good place to find things.  I know there are a couple rentals down the road from me, one was advertised on Craigslist when it was vacant.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Save your sanity and stay away from the HOA community's.... I didn't think it through and bought a house in a HOA, its not bad but the stupidity of some BOD members is amazing.

If I were to do it over again, I would defiantly do it different. I have about 2 years left and my house is paid off, Cant justify the move now to start a over again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I work in Lackawaxen and I'm currently renting a room in Tyler Hill.  Definitely way farther commute than I care to do when the roads are bad. 3 days after I arrived that icey storm made for some hairy driving conditions.

I am still looking for a room to rent in the Lackawaxen, Greeley, Beach Lake, or Shohola areas. Hoping to get a room for around $300-400/month.  Everyone I contact on Craigslist has been a flake so far.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in my home in the Joke-o-nos right now. I got the fuck out 13 years ago. It had already been spiraling the toilet for 20 years. It started going downhill in the late 80's and did nothing but get worse since.

I moved 900 miles away and wonder if it was far enough.
Of it weren't for my parents still here, I would sell my house and never look back. I come back 3-4 times a year and I can't believe what a fucking crime infested,garbage all over the side of the road, shithole the NY and NJ human fucking garbage have made this place. And that's even considering I'm in one of the top 99 communities in the US.
I don't leave "the bubble" when I'm here. We even bring our food and supplies in coolers to avoid the scum in the stores.
The above posters, especially the one here his whole life (like me) are not lying.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]
If your looking for a piece of property not in a community drop me a line. I have a 2 acre piece on a private road in shohola.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top