Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 9:54:59 AM EDT
This summer my family is taking a road trip vacation across Pennsylvania.  One weekend we will be in the Pittsburgh area for a drumline competition and then one week later we will be in Philadelphia for a second drumline competition.  In the week between we'll be slowly driving from west to east, stopping at whatever we want along the way.

Each of us is making a list of stops, and I thought I would use the power of Arfcom to help come up with my list.  Any good gun shops (I have a local FFL who happily does transfers in case I find a great deal) as well as places other Arfcommer's can recommend would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Flight 93 memorial. Not fun, but a great, humbling experience and maybe only 15-20 min from the turnpike.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're moving west to east and looking for a gun shop to throw in the mix.. might want to check out Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield, PA.

We usually stop in there when we're in the area for rifle deer season. Pretty significant sized shop with a lot to look through.

Enjoy the Keystone State. Its a great place with a lot of beauty, especially across the center of the state.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flight 93 memorial. Not fun, but a great, humbling experience and maybe only 15-20 min from the turnpike.
View Quote

Good thought.  We'll stop and pay respects to the heroes who died that day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
King Shooters Supply in King of Prussia.

Also check out St. Peters Village.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
About an hour South of Pittsburgh stop & check out Fort Necessity National Battlefield, Washington’s Tavern & Braddock’s Grave for some pretty interesting French & Indian War history.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water is also in the same area.

If neither of those sound interesting Ohiopyle State Park is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
About an hour South of Pittsburgh stop & check out Fort Necessity National Battlefield, Washington’s Tavern & Braddock’s Grave for some pretty interesting French & Indian War history.

View Quote

Falling Water is already on the SO's list, so we will definitely be stopping there.  Have you been?  I'm curious about the various tours they offer, as opposed to general admission.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Falling Water is already on the SO's list, so we will definitely be stopping there.  Have you been?  I'm curious about the various tours they offer, as opposed to general admission.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been there not for many, many years though.

Best I can do is post a Link to the website.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Gettysburg if you haven't been there before.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We took our wedding pictures there and got married across the street in that barn.

Also check out http://kentuckknob.com/  its another FLW house and its close to Fallingwater.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
http://shop.tropgun.com/ is worth stopping at.  Its south East of Harrisburg.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Cabela's in Hamburg. Not so much to buy stuff, but to see their animal displays.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like your route is south of NEPA.
Scranton actually has some gems if you are so inclined. Not all in downtown; some out in the surrounding areas.
So if you detour this way let me know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cabela's in Hamburg. Not so much to buy stuff, but to see their animal displays.
View Quote

This will probably happen.  I plan to check out all the hunting gear, and make my list for the sales at the end of next season.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://shop.tropgun.com/ is worth stopping at.  Its south East of Harrisburg.
View Quote

+1 for Trop, they're in Elizabethtown right next to Hershey. Some outlets close by if you need to take the wife shopping to justify a purchase at the fun shop
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're going by Cabela's, Roadside America is just down the road. I haven't been there since my son was a kid but I'm taking my Grandson soon. It's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd recommend taking the tour if you're passing though the Pottsville area....

Yuengling Brewery Tours
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Johnstown inclined plane is neat. Depending on what your driving you can take your vehicle down it. Eckley's miners camp
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chalk hill police supply is right down the road from Fort Necessity. If your lucky you may catch the monthly flea market at Braddock's inn, I always find cool stuff there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Chalk hill police supply is right down the road from Fort Necessity. If your lucky you may catch the monthly flea market at Braddock's inn, I always find cool stuff there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I enjoy going to that flea market a few times a summer. I've picked up a lot of antiques that I display in my house. Stonehouse restaurant FTW also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Whitewater rafting at Ohiopyle, Pa.

Cycle the Rails to Trails from Delmont to Saltsburg and fish at Loyalhanna.

Lynn Run

The Blue Angels will have an F-22 with them at Latrobe Airport May 21 & 22.  Discounts for .mil and kids under 10 are free.

Triangle Subs in Swissvale has great sandwiches but it's in the hood.

Kennywood is fun, same with sandcastle.

The Bantam Jeep Festival (June 10-12) is really worth checking out , even if you aren't an enthusiast.  The Jeep Invasion in Butler, Pa would be perfect for a passerby like yourself; it's free if you dont mind a bit of a walk and will shed new light on the expression "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Bushy Run Battlefield is beautifully terrifying when you can stand there and put it into perspective.

Gettysburg Battlefield is not much different.

Rousch Creek and Doe Valley.

Fort Ligonier

FFL's

Johnson's Gun Depot had a great selection but staff is hit or miss.  

A&S Indoor Pistol Range in Youngwood is a small, but cool, place with a decent selection and great staff.  Josh and Dave are great guys.

If your feeling brave, Braverman Arms in Wilkinsburg is an interest experience and gives you an appriciation for the name.

There is a class III rental place in Mt. Pleasant, Pa but the name escapes me at the monent.  

Driving south on I-279 into Pittsburgh through the tunnels into the city is one of the more beautiful views of a city you'll ever see.

Final thoughts:

Take Route 30, not I-76, if you want to see the state.  I-99 corridor is a nice drive and takes you to where the Little Leauge World Series is played.

IDPA matches at Pitcarin Monroeville Sportsmans Club are family friendly and fun.

ETA:

I see the weekends are taken up so events are pretty much out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#22]
depending on the weekend, check out the racetracks on your route

Pocono Raceway (paved oval)
Maple Grove Raceway (drag racing)
Williams Grove Speedway (dirt track)

are all great to visit
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lynn Run

The Blue Angels will have an F-22 with them at Latrobe Airport May 21 & 22.  Discounts for .mil and kids under 10 are free.

The Bantam Jeep Festival (June 10-12) is really worth checking out , even if you aren't an enthusiast.  The Jeep Invasion in Butler, Pa would be perfect for a passerby like yourself; it's free if you dont mind a bit of a walk and will shed new light on the expression "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Bushy Run Battlefield is beautifully terrifying when you can stand there and put it into perspective.

Fort Ligonier
FFL's

A&S Indoor Pistol Range in Youngwood is a small, but cool, place with a decent selection and great staff.  Josh and Dave are great guys.

If your feeling brave, Braverman Arms in Wilkinsburg is an interest experience and gives you an appriciation for the name.

There is a class III rental place in Mt. Pleasant, Pa but the name escapes me at the monent.  

Driving south on I-279 into Pittsburgh through the tunnels into the city is one of the more beautiful views of a city you'll ever see.

Final thoughts:

Take Route 30, not I-76, if you want to see the state.  I-99 corridor is a nice drive and takes you to where the Little Leauge World Series is played.

IDPA matches at Pitcarin Monroeville Sportsmans Club are family friendly and fun.

ETA:

View Quote
Damn good list you posted here! I lost it on your description of Braverman Arms; I was just in there a few weeks ago

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn good list you posted here! I lost it on your description of Braverman Arms; I was just in there a few weeks ago  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lynn Run

Fort Ligonier

FFL's

Final thoughts:

ETA:

It's not a bad little shop and all the "But here, pay here" lots are a really nice show of culture and tradition.  You used to be able to get the newest, freshest stolen sneakers from the barber shop just across the street.  You can also try the exquisite cuisine at the Kentucky Fried Taco Hut, and the EBA  (East Busway express) is always good for cheap entertainment.  Sometimes I miss the hood, lol.  Bravermans is a nice shop, but very small with a limited selection.

If OP gets back before the ice caps melt, I might be able to give him a few more ideas and events to look into.  We just had the Blessing of the Bikes here last week, another cool enthusiast event.  The Railroad Museum of PA is another neat place to check out, too.  I also know a lot of good places to eat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the continued ideas.  I'm catching up on looking through them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

No problem.  If you have any ideas for themes not mentioned let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.  I'm near Pittsburgh and there is a ton to see and do.  Carnegie Science Center is another cool place to add to your list, last time I was there that had fighting robots.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No problem.  If you have any ideas for themes not mentioned let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.  I'm near Pittsburgh and there is a ton to see and do.  Carnegie Science Center is another cool place to add to your list, last time I was there that had fighting robots.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would not suggest going to the Science center to anyone over the age of 12.  

The only thing there that is for adults is the I-Max theatre.  Nice thing about that is you can get in there without buying a ticket for the entire science center.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The only thing there that is for adults is the I-Max theatre.  Nice thing about that is you can get in there without buying a ticket for the entire science center.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto this; the science center is overwhelmingly geared towards kids. They do adult themed things from time-to-time; not enough there to hold an adult's interest currently (I have inside knowledge).

MrBear10mm, you lucked out last time you went there.

The Warhol Museum is worth a go if you're going to the north side.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#29]
If you are going to Grice Gun Shop, you may want to go to Woolrich, PA too. It;s a quaint factory town a very short drive off 220, with a outlet store.

http://www.visitpennstate.org/member/woolrich-store-the/

One of the Harley Davidson Factories is in York, PA.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/events/factory-tours/yorkpa.html

Pretty neat to be there at shift change on a nice day and watch the workers head out of the parking lot for the day.

If you are heading to Gettysburg, there is a real nice Civil War museum that is associated with the Smithsonian located in Harrisburg.

http://www.nationalcivilwarmuseum.org/

Some of the pretzel, chip and chocolate factories can be interesting and fill a few hours fairly inexpensively too.

Snyder's and Utz are in Hanover. Hershey is in Hershey of course and Mars in in Elizabethtown. There are a lot of smaller facilities in the area too.

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/our-story/bakery-tour.html

http://www.utzsnacks.com/utz-factory.html

http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/chocolate-tour

Not sure what part of VA you are from but if you don't have a Wegman's Supermarkets in your area, you may want to visit one. If you are familiar with them, you may want to stop by too! :)
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See ya there for the first flea market of the year there on Memorial Day weekend, I never miss them.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Lynn Run

Fort Ligonier
FFL's

Final thoughts:

ETA:

View Quote

Johnsons had a great staff but it sure has gone to shit there. I used to be in there a few day per week, now I rarely go and it's only a few miles away. The owner is a very greedy shyster.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Johnsons had a great staff but it sure has gone to shit there. I used to be in there a few day per week, now I rarely go and it's only a few miles away. The owner is a very greedy shyster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor

You're right about Johnsons, although they did a fair trade with me last year. A used Springfield XD .40 straight up for a Ruger mark iii target barrel.

I stop in when I go to Hecla sportsman's for a browse.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Howdy neighbor  

You're right about Johnsons, although they did a fair trade with me last year. A used Springfield XD .40 straight up for a Ruger mark iii target barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor  

I used to work there a few years back. The old guys I worked with there were pretty cool dudes. I worked with Jan, John, and Dave when I started.
Being a salesman kinda sucked so I moved on in life. I still stop in there every few months.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#34]
If you have any intrest in Blackpowder then Dixon's Muzzleloader shop in Kempton is a must.
Kempton is a few miles east of Cabela's on rt 78.
It is a wonder world of Blackpowder arms and supplys.

I would also suggest going a little out of the way to Easton Pa.
Sarco is located in Easton and it is certainly an experience for the firearms and parts it has.
Plus just a hundred yards or so away is Heritage guild, they have a nice indoor range and rent guns including full auto.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I used to work there a few years back. The old guys I worked with there were pretty cool dudes. I worked with Jan, John, and Dave when I started.

Being a salesman kinda sucked so I moved on in life. I still stop in there every few months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Howdy neighbor  

I should know you, without using names...did you also work at UPS? Or maybe you started there after I stopped spending money there shortly after Dave left.

Dave is an old friend since Jr High, John is a good friend also.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I should know you, without using names...did you also work at UPS? Or maybe you started there after I stopped spending money there shortly after Dave left.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor  

I wasn't the dude that worked at UPS. He is still there, cool dude, pretty sure he is a cousin of Dave's.

I was the younger guy, still in my 20s when I worked there. I was there for a few years.
I got to experience the panic when Obama got elected.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Appalachian Brewing Co. - Harrisburg http://abcbrew.com/
Troegs Brewery - Hershey http://www.troegs.com/
Lancaster Brewing Co - Lancaster https://www.lancasterbrewing.com/
Snitz Creek Brewing Co - Lebanon http://www.snitzcreekbrewery.com/index.php
Hidden Still Spirits - Lebanon http://www.hiddenstillspirits.com/#first
Stoudts Brewery - Adamstown http://stoudts.com/
PA National Guard Military Museum - Ft. Indiantown Gap http://pngmilitarymuseum.org/
St. Boniface Brewing Co - Ephrata http://www.stbonifacebrewing.com/

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I wasn't the dude that worked at UPS. He is still there, cool dude, pretty sure he is a cousin of Dave's.

I was the younger guy, still in my 20s when I worked there. I was there for a few years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Howdy neighbor  

Yes, I remember you now, you sold me a few guns.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Through the years i bought several firearms at Johnson's.....it's been a few years since I've bought anything there. The whole atmosphere in the shop has changed, not for the good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
PA National Guard Military Museum - Ft. Indiantown Gap http://pngmilitarymuseum.org/

View Quote

Your recommendations have something in common, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

These are some great ideas, thanks.  After a few days of "car time family togetherness", I think I'll need an adult beverage or two.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your recommendations have something in common, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

These are some great ideas, thanks.  After a few days of "car time family togetherness", I think I'll need an adult beverage or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a great area to be in if you love beer. Although they probably won't let you drink at the NG museum.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It's a great area to be in if you love beer. Although they probably won't let you drink at the NG museum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he winds up going to Grice's (and why would he not? ) then it's a short drive to St. Marys which has the Straub Brewery too.
The Pennsylvania Military Museum in Boalsburg is pretty neat too, and
not too far from the Mount Nittany Winery, and keeping with the adult beverage theme.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Into the trip now.  Stopped today at Grice's Gun Shop.  They have a few guns in there.  

A couple of rifles almost followed me home, but I settled for a few pounds of powder.

Grice's is definitely going on the stop list for all future trips.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top