Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 12:39:54 AM EDT
Welp

I was talking to my friend today and the subject of tiny houses came up (no idea how) and he said he was planning on building one sometime this year/next. BUT he doesn't know the building codes for his county. I myself have no idea the codes that's why I'm here

Does anyone know the building codes for tiny houses in Lycoming county? Also is it even legal for tiny houses in PA

As stated I have no knowledge about these things and I'm looking to (somewhat) help my friend out.

What do the people say
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested as well. I'd like to purchase some land and than build on it a few years later.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not going to matter what the county thinks.
Your township is going to have final say.

Personally I think they are a huge waste of money. For the same money, you can build a 24x24 small home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Foundation or trailer type? I and my b-law have had some pretty heated talks about tiny home( giant waste ) anyways. He ended up buying a huge airstream and building a huge garage. Codes are codes no matter the size the home. Plus where do you put your guns reloading room?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Foundation or trailer type? I and my b-law have had some pretty heated talks about tiny home( giant waste ) anyways. He ended up buying a huge airstream and building a huge garage. Codes are codes no matter the size the home. Plus where do you put your guns reloading room?
View Quote
lol good point I think he was saying trailer I have no idea any more info?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotta look at municipality regarding building codes. For my money, if I were looking to do something like this on the cheap, I'd get a trailer and drop it on a big ass tract of land.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Greetings,

I'm not 100% on this, but believe that most of the townships and other municipalities have either gone to or will be going to the IBC (International Building Code) for residential construction.  When we built 5 years ago, there was a scattering of UBC, IBC, BOCCA, etc., but at the State level was a movement toward using a unified building code everywhere. Not sure where in that process it is now. As mentioned, check with your local code enforcement dept and they will know for sure. Good luck with your project!

Regards, Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top