Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2016 6:45:38 PM EDT
I have a job offer open in Carlisle Pa. and I'm 95% I'll be moving in that direction.  So, what can you tell me about the area?  Good places to shoot? Good gun stores?  Good local restaurants?  Anything unique to do or see?

Also, anyone know of a good place to look for apartments/townhouses/houses?  I have a dog, so that narrows the field considerably. Any areas of town to completely avoid?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have a job offer open in Carlisle Pa. and I'm 95% I'll be moving in that direction.  So, what can you tell me about the area?  Good places to shoot? Good gun stores?  Good local restaurants?  Anything unique to do or see?

Also, anyone know of a good place to look for apartments/townhouses/houses?  I have a dog, so that narrows the field considerably. Any areas of town to completely avoid?
View Quote

I've worked in the area quite a few times, mostly south in Mt. Holly Springs.  Liked the area and found it interesting that General Normal Schwarzkopf named it as one of only two places he wanted to live post-Army, the other being the Pacific Northwest.

What I can tell you is there used to be a good gun store down there (Ed Bender's) but it is now closed.  I know there are a few north of the turnpike but can't remember their names...hopefully someone from the area jumps in.

When I was there I shot at the state game lands range which is also north of the turnpike but only because I wasn't a member at any of the local shooting clubs.  You're close to a lot if you like shooting, shopping, history, etc. and you can also be away from a lot if you want.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a little bit of everything in the area. The State parks are great. The Appalachian trail passes right through the area. There is some night life in Harrisburg, plus museums. Gettysburg is close by. There are lots of family activities around Hershey, PA. If you want big city entertainment, Baltimore is not far. Philadelphia and Washington D.C. are both about 2 hours away. CCW is extremely cheap and easy to get. The only strange thing about PA is the liquor laws. You can't just grab a 6 pack from a store. You must go to a beer distributor and they only sell cases. There are a few exceptions such as restaurants that can sell beer to go and Wegmans also has a separate section where you can buy beer. Craft beer, cider and local wineries are everywhere.

-RR
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Great area.

Over in Elizabethtown, there is a neat gun shop called Trops.  they have guns, gear, good priced ammo, indoor range and a cigar bar.

I would join a private range if I were you, but not living in that AO, I cant comment further.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm hoping to find a private range/club as the rules for using the state game lands feel like they are what NYC might mandate if they were forced to allow gun ranges.  Seems like there aren't many Carlisle folks here in the forum, but I'm heading to the area on Monday to look at apartments, so if anyone has suggestions in that regard, or must-stop gun shops/ranges let me know.  A good suggestion for a local place to eat would be awesome too.  Just trying to get a feel for the place.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm hoping to find a private range/club as the rules for using the state game lands feel like they are what NYC might mandate if they were forced to allow gun ranges.  Seems like there aren't many Carlisle folks here in the forum, but I'm heading to the area on Monday to look at apartments, so if anyone has suggestions in that regard, or must-stop gun shops/ranges let me know.  A good suggestion for a local place to eat would be awesome too.  Just trying to get a feel for the place.
View Quote

http://www.comfortsuitescarlisle.com/1794/index.php supposed to be the #1 place in town

I called my step mom, who grew up there and visits a lot, she said to go here, https://www.facebook.com/Hamilton-Restaurant-144970662216513/

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
 Carlisle Fish and Game is a good local club.  There is plenty of good places to eat in Carlisle.  Market Cross Pub is good. So is Hanover Grill.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Boiling Springs which is about 6-8 miles from Carlisle.  pretty small quiet town       Mount Holly Springs is also a small town a little closer to Carlisle   I lived there for a couple of years as well

Shooting range I belong to is the Dillsburg Fish and Game over the "mountain" from either Mt. Holly or Boiling Springs.  

If you are into cars much there is the fairgrounds in Carlisle, dragstrip outside of Holly and the Williams grove Speedway about 8 miles from Carlisle.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Live near Mt Holly myself. Good gun shop is in Carlisle, Keystonegunsales. I buy most my.guns from there because its the cheapest I've found.
Probably want to stay outside of the city proper. Mt Holly and Mechanicsburg are nice areas. Plenty of car shows in Carlisle I go to.

Gettysburg, Harrisburg etc aren't too far away. I-81 is a death trap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Great area, as are others mentioned.  I'm in Mechanicsburg, 10 minute drive to Carlisle, worth looking into as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I might be relocating to the Mechanicsburg area so this interests me
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I love it.  PM me if you have any questions etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in the area. Grew up in Carlisle and live in the Harrisburg area now. And know where all the gun shops are.

PM me if you need any help with anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top