Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 11:08:07 AM EDT
Anyone live out that way or know the area?  Might be getting a job out there and moving back to a free state.  Just seeing what areas are relatively quiet and inexpensive.  I'm single with no children so an apartment would be ok to at least get me in the area for a year before getting a house
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending upon the traffic I'm about 20 minutes from the area.

Quiet?  Harrisburg is just down the road and the major arteries can be jammed during rush hour.
One main road is nearly nonstop car dealerships.

You are going to have fun finding a "Quiet" place.  It's out there, just don't ask where.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Boiling Springs , Mount Holly area is pretty quiet   A couple local gun clubs.    Not really full auto friendly but semi private.      Local 1/8 mile drag strip.  MWilliams Grove speedway if into dirt tracking

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Mechanicsburg by Messiah College, just outside of town.  This area is very quiet yet only 15 min to Harrisburg and an hour to Baltimore.  Check out some areas around Messiah College.  Feel free to PM any questions.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
A few miles from Mechanicsburg can get you very rural very quiet areas.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I used to live in Vermont before I got dragged to New Jersey.  So I'm looking for a rural type area again.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on how rural you are looking to go, Perry County (Shermansdale) is only 30 minutes away from Mechanicsburg. Dillsburg and Boiling Springs are also reasonable options that have inexpensive housing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I live just outside Lewisberry, Northern tip of York county and it is very quiet here.

I suggest you base where you live on where you are going to work. I live on the west shore but work on the east shore and getting across the river is the biggest challenge due to heavy traffic. A few improvement have been done and others are in the works but it will never be a simple drive.

You should be able to find a house or apartment for rent out of town, try to avoid apartment complexes.

When you find a place we can then suggest what shooting ranges will be convenient and where to shop for your non neutered guns.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on how rural you are looking to go, Perry County (Shermansdale) is only 30 minutes away from Mechanicsburg. Dillsburg and Boiling Springs are also reasonable options that have inexpensive housing.
View Quote

I don't know if it is still accurate but a few years ago the Patriot News had an article about the Central PA school districts with the highest housing costs and the most expensive was Northern York (Dillsburg).  I assumed that it was due to a large amount of new construction in a small town driving up the average selling price.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll hopefully be working at one of the military depots in the area so that's where I'm basing my living situation on
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I live on the eastern edge of Harrisburg, and drive to Mechanicsburg for work sometimes.  I primarily work in Harrisburg.  Traffic around here is down right stupid sometimes.  If you're going to be at New Cumberland or the Mechanicsburg Depot something slightly to the south should get you the quite and a non-crazy commute.  I'm a transplant to the area from 2008 when I got out of the USAF.  I can't wait to move.....hahah!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live in Mechanicsburg by Messiah College, just outside of town.  This area is very quiet yet only 15 min to Harrisburg and an hour to Baltimore.  Check out some areas around Messiah College.  Feel free to PM any questions.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top