Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2015 9:54:25 PM EDT

Thread topic is pretty much the question.  Is there anyone currently doing it?  If so, how and from where?  I'm currently a NJ resident, single and don't have a family or dog and already commute 1.5 hours from where I am.  I'd love to move out of this state.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yardley, Bucks County has Amtrak from Trenton.

Upper Bucks County has good old 78 East to the Holland Tunnel.

A little further North I-80 is a straight shot to the GWB.

I would take a $25k pay cut and find a job in PA or Central Jersey before I drove to NYC every day, but that's me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I go to NYC 2 to 3 times a month and live in the Yardley Newtown area of Bucks county.

15 minute drive to Trenton Train station. NJ Transit to Penn Station. I hop the subway from there wherever I need to go. Train runs about an hour. Much easier than driving.

Yardley and Newtown are both great towns. We have excellent gun laws with regard to purchase, concealed carry and NFA. It's like a different country compared to NJ.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to drive to NYC from Bangor and it SUCKED! It would take me about 50 mins to get from my house to exit 53 on I-80 which is route 3. Then it would take me another hour (usually more) to get through the Lincoln tunnel. Rain, snow, sunrise/sunset all add to the travel time. I now drive to the Harrison path train station which takes about an hour then take the train into midtown which is another 30 mins. That helps my sanity stay at an approved level, my wallet happy by not paying NYC parking and tolls and my car in better condition.

Some days are easier than others and some days make you wonder WTF you were thinking. As long as you're happy with where you end up after you leave then its all worth it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to drive to NYC from Bangor and it SUCKED! It would take me about 50 mins to get from my house to exit 53 on I-80 which is route 3. Then it would take me another hour (usually more) to get through the Lincoln tunnel. Rain, snow, sunrise/sunset all add to the travel time. I now drive to the Harrison path train station which takes about an hour then take the train into midtown which is another 30 mins. That helps my sanity stay at an approved level, my wallet happy by not paying NYC parking and tolls and my car in better condition.

Some days are easier than others and some days make you wonder WTF you were thinking. As long as you're happy with where you end up after you leave then its all worth it.
View Quote

I live in Bangor and work in NYC. Make the commute 6-7 days a week right now,going on 6 years.. I do the same thing drive to Harrison and take the path train in to WTC. If youre going to drive id recommend a tdi, mine has more than paid for itself.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I commute into NYC a few days a week from Easton. Luckily I dont go in or out during rush hour. Takes me an hour and a half without traffic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I live in Bangor and work in NYC. Make the commute 6-7 days a week right now,going on 6 years.. I do the same thing drive to Harrison and take the path train in to WTC. If youre going to drive id recommend a tdi, mine has more than paid for itself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What years of the TDI are recommended? I'd like to get something economical but comfortable before the gas prices go the way our taxes are heading. Right now gas is cheap so I'm driving my Tahoe. I was driving a Jeep Cherokee daily and it was physically taking a toll on me, my Trans Am is fun but not comfortable enough I dont want to daily drive. For me it came down to the choice between a newer eco car with a payment or a couch with a gas payment. So far I'm happy with my choice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is a 2006, I stop at exit 30 off i80 in NJ and fill up at quick check ($2.11/gal diesel).  Last fill up was just under $30. I get 650 +/- miles for that $30. My TDI is at 271k miles all ive done is scheduled maintance.. Its more than paid for itself. The 2009+ tdi will have more emissions equipment that my 06. Id recommend removing it all and having your car tuned.. Better mpg, more power, etc.. Rocketchip is in PA, i used Malone. I bought the tuner, emailed my stock map and they emailed back the modified map. Plenty of room in my Jetta, im 6'2" and feel its comfortable for long trips.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats a pretty quick on/off from the highway. The Shell station in Columbia has diesel for $2.05 but thats not kuch a difference with how few fuel stops you need to make. I'm fueling up every other day and its a bit of an annoyance.

Thanks for the info on the TDI, i'm going to do some research on it and talk to the Mrs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top