Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2015 5:46:02 PM EDT
To be honest I am almost tempted to just say fuck it and not even bother.

Last year I changed my brakes (personally) weeks prior to taking it to a shop for an inspection and was told "you need all new breaks ain't hardly any life left on them" (said the backward ass shop keep).

I responded with "fuck you take your fee and give me my keys."

Have also had a battery clamp mysteriously go missing at another shop and get charged for it in order to pass and get the sticker.

Anyone know a good shop I can take the car to? I'm located in Mifflin.

I really don't give a fuck if they don't even bother to take a look at it.

Just take my money and give me a sticker I'll even tip you for not wasting my time.

Every year this causes me so much unnecessary stress. It would probably be less stressful to become my own official inspection station eh?

I love PA...

But fuck this state and the gay ass annual vehicle inspections.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]

find a mom and pop shop. stop in and have little things done, like oil changes or tire rotations. Wait for the vehicle on site.  Buy the tech a Coke or get him a hoagie.  Make a little investment.

Then come time for your inspection and they see Mr. Thorazine aka Mr. GoodCustomer and its amazing how much faster and without issue things get done. Don't forget to order a pizza or do some other small thing for the shop,when you leave satisfied.

I have one place I take my inspections and little things and its amazing how easy it has become to get things done around my schedule and sometimes he lets things slide too.

I do most of my own work, but obviously I cant do inspections.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Where do you buy your auto parts from?      Do the parts guys know who you are when you walk in?   Casually ask where they bring their personal vehicles or the stores delivery vehicles.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
find a mom and pop shop. stop in and have little things done, like oil changes or tire rotations. Wait for the vehicle on site.  Buy the tech a Coke or get him a hoagie.  Make a little investment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Basically stuff that I should be doing myself (oil changes / tire rotations).

Small stuff that I like to do myself because I don't trust shops.

They can handle the big repairs that I don't want to do in my own garage.

However I don't mind buying the tech lunch or just giving him a tip.

Quoted:
Where do you buy your auto parts from?      Do the parts guys know who you are when you walk in?   Casually ask where they bring their personal vehicles or the stores delivery vehicles.

I did and was referred to the place that tried to screw me on the brakes.

So if I am reading this correctly,

Section 4703 of the Pennslyvania Vehicle Code is titled Operation of vehicle without official certificate of inspection. Under this Section it notes the penalty:

(1) a person violating this section is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of up to $25.

I'm not familiar with the term "summary offense".

How does that impact ones criminal record?
NCICS?
CWP?

If it is just a fine (ticket) then it might be a hell a lot easier to shall not comply and pay the fine if I ever get caught driving on an expired sticker.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

NCICS?
CWP?

If it is just a fine (ticket) then it might be a hell a lot easier to shall not comply and pay the fine if I ever get caught driving on an expired sticker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Section 4703 of the Pennslyvania Vehicle Code is titled Operation of vehicle without official certificate of inspection. Under this Section it notes the penalty:

(1) a person violating this section is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of up to $25.

NCICS?
CWP?

I used to do that and got popped two or three times and the fine with costs was like $80. Since it is summary it doesn't matter and will not affect insurance.  Now on my sports cars I don't want shops touching, or they would never pass emissions,  I just scrapped the stickers off completely and never had an issue.  Even got  pulled over once for a red light ticket by a local pd and speeding 21mph over by state police, and my wife got stopped in my car for tint and blacked out license plate cover, and no one ever said anything about the inspection stickers missing.  When I was pulled over by the statie he even glanced at my windshield looking for it, I was waiting for him to say anything which he didn't and went back to his car to write me up for the speeding ticket.  

Every day drivers we get inspected... its just easy generally and I don't have to worry at all.  The main thing that could happen that you are at risk for by not inspecting your cars, is a lawsuit if you kill someone.  You will pay more money to prove that your car was performing properly even though it wasn't inspected, if they have a lawyer who picks up on it not being inspected (My lawyer told me that).   Since some states around us do not require any inspection stickers, I feel it just sticks out less to have nothing there, then an expired one.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
What part of PA do you live?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've lived in Pennsylvania my entire life.

OP - your story is not uncommon. I sincerely believe that pulling shit like that should be a very, very big deal to a garage if caught.

If Bubba's Auto Repair in East Jabib, PA tries to make a quick buck like that he should be fined out the ass and charged with a felony.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an uncle and cousins. They're the only ones I trust.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What part of PA do you live?
View Quote

Miffllin county.

No emissions.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried a dealership?  Pay a little more for a more standard experience and less BS?  Have to find an honest dealer though, I suppose.  We use the (Ford) dealer we buy our cars from for inspections and never have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#10]
When I first moved to PA I was taking my car to a local tire shop.. never had service done there other than mount/balance tires I bought off TireRack. The first two years when I'd go for safety inspection (cars a diesel) they wouldn't even bring it in the shop just get the miles and do a quick walk around.. I'd pay the fee and be on my way. Third year they pulled my car in and went over everything. Dont remember what it was but they gave me shit about something mickey mouse.. offered to fix it for a fee or I could go fix it and come back.. I fixed it came back and went on my way with new sticker.. I asked my barber who he uses and I've been going to his recommended shop ever since.. they just do a quick walk around, check the lights, look at the brakes and thats it.. I cannot recommend a shop in your area but I'm sure a friend/family member, etc can.. shit stop one of these rolling rust buckets you see all over and ask who they use lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
A citation for no/expired inspection is $128.50. It's much cheaper to get the inspection done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Just keep looking.  I finally found a place that will just sell me stickers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heh I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got one of them too. Made it real easy when I had a car with straight pipes from the turbo back.

Might be worth your while to find a shop who builds performance cars. They seem to be a little more honest than the standard mechanic, because let's be real, they'd rather be putting a blower in the Chevelle over there, than putting a set of brakes and rotors on that 99 KIA in the lot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Five days remaining before I before an outlaw!

I really hate this shit.

Also...

Fuck PA for no FTF handgun sales.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I drive 20 miles back to my home town for inspection of my vehicles...

Having been "burned" (at least attempts) by other shops when away for college, I just pop in to a shop run by some guys I knew from Scouts.
Show up when they open with a box of donuts and shoot the shit for half an hour, get my stickers, pay, and drive to work.
Nice catching up with them...

They do ask a few questions if I've been keeping up on the routine stuff, and take it for a spin around the block before putting in the new stickers... probably to keep their Pop (owner) happy...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I help run a small garage. We aren't on any main roads so our customer base is repeat customers and recommendations. Some of you guys stories are terrible, I'd never lick a sticker (just sticker a car). I feed my family with my income so every car gets scrutinized or its my ass when Johnny law finds the car rolled in a ditch because I miss something. We are somewhat lenient however I specially with our long time customers. We are busy and some of our customers bring us beer or donuts especially around the holidays.

My advice, pick a small shop maybe someone you know recommends, if they are good to you keep going back. Stay away from chain stores.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I help run a small garage. We aren't on any main roads so our customer base is repeat customers and recommendations. Some of you guys stories are terrible, I'd never lick a sticker (just sticker a car). I feed my family with my income so every car gets scrutinized or its my ass when Johnny law finds the car rolled in a ditch because I miss something. We are somewhat lenient however I specially with our long time customers. We are busy and some of our customers bring us beer or donuts especially around the holidays.

My advice, pick a small shop maybe someone you know recommends, if they are good to you keep going back. Stay away from chain stores.
View Quote

Some shady guys I used to know who were dealers with inspection stations would just run a Carfax for every car they inspected that wasn't a routine customer they know.   Most of the time they could pick psp out before hand , but if not the psp cars always have hundreds of inspections on the Carfax, multiple a day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Thread is still relevant.

Looked at my expired as of last month sticker and decided to call another semi-local small shop today.

Guy picks up the phone and exclaims "Yup!"

(what an odd way to answer a phone especially for a place of business I was thinking)

At this point I have no clue if I misdialed or have the wrong number so I ask "Is this the auto shop?"

Guy responds "who else do you think you got?"

Sigh.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thread is still relevant.

Looked at my expired as of last month sticker and decided to call another semi-local small shop today.

Guy picks up the phone and exclaims "Yup!"

(what an odd way to answer a phone especially for a place of business I was thinking)

At this point I have no clue if I misdialed or have the wrong number so I ask "Is this the auto shop?"

Guy responds "who else do you think you got?"

Sigh.
View Quote
That's the kind of place u need.

$100 bill and you are set
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive gotten the inspector who thinks he's doing the world a favor by failing me for a non working high beam instead of slapping the sticker on saying fix it and the shop that told me my brakes were bad and had a steering problem without even getting the thing on the rack. Someone needs to tell Johnny Dogood that he'll get more business if he doesnt act like a fuckin brain surgeon.

My vehicles are well maintained and driven a ton i dont need someone telling me whats wrong with them, all i need is my sticker to keep the law off my back. I'd gladly come in for anything i cant handle or dont feel like doing myself if i didnt feel like i was being taken advantage of.

Anyone know anybody in the Bangor area? At this point my stickers are goin 3 years old.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
So "Fuck PA" because you had a hack tell you that you need new brakes?  Tell the guy to show you?  Have him pull the tires and show you.  You said you just changed them out so tell the hack to show you.

You need to lighten up on the "Fuck PA" deal.  Just about the only state around here that lets you own 30 round mags and no "modifications" other than semi.

Blowing up the state because you have a hack as a mechanic is stupid especially when you said you just changed the brakes he says are beat.  Unless you put them on backwards or some messed up way, I think you call his bluff and he will back off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So "Fuck PA" because you had a hack tell you that you need new brakes?  Tell the guy to show you?  Have him pull the tires and show you.  You said you just changed them out so tell the hack to show you.

You need to lighten up on the "Fuck PA" deal.  Just about the only state around here that lets you own 30 round mags and no "modifications" other than semi.

Blowing up the state because you have a hack as a mechanic is stupid especially when you said you just changed the brakes he says are beat.  Unless you put them on backwards or some messed up way, I think you call his bluff and he will back off.
View Quote

Crap.

Completely forgot that I needed to get this done four plus months ago.

Bump to top for any possible referrals.

and in spirit of the poster above that replied to me...

Fuck PA.
Fuck vehicle inspections.
Fuck state income taxes.
Fuck no FTF handgun sales.
Fuck our liquor laws.
Fuck our gasoline taxes.

and FBHO.

Otherwise it's not bad. We're not MD.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#24]
you don't need a referral.  you have had 4 months to form a relationship with a shop.. it should be a done deal by now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck (certain parts and aspects of) PA.
Fuck state income taxes.
Fuck our liquor laws.
Fuck our gasoline taxes.

and FBHO.

View Quote

Quoted for truth (with a slight modification in red).
I like PA, especially when in comparison to neighboring states; but don't rest on our laurels, it can be better.
Get rid of the liberal policies (especially liberal judges in the judicial system), get rid of the tax and spend mentality, get rid of the nanny state mentality.  
Get back our right to FTF handgun sales, maybe get some constitutional carry going on. For crying out loud, the Brady campaign gave us a C on our report card. That's' passing. We need to get a D ASAP and strive for an F.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you don't need a referral.  you have had 4 months to form a relationship with a shop.. it should be a done deal by now.
View Quote

Build a relationship with a shop?

I'm not going to slip the workers my ding dong after taking them out to dinner.

I'm not retired and going to hang out multiple hours every day with them and make small talk.

I'm sure as hell not going to take my automobile in for routine things that I should be doing myself. They are for the complicated repairs that cannot be easily completed in a residential garage.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#27]
You don't have to do any of those thing but from the sound of it your not easy to get along with. However, if you came to the shop I worked at it would be hard to resist our charm and you would probably end up staying longer than normal just to chat it up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#28]
The whole no ftf deal with handguns is due to opposition from the PSP... They continually testify before the house whenever a bill that has ftf handgun sales allowed... You know they just don't want to give up their registry that they say they don't have
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Curious, what states DO allow FTF handgun sales?

At any rate, when I worked in a garage (auto trans shop) I encountered quite a few
vehicles which only received the "lick'em and stick'em" treatment. How they stayed on the road is beyond me. Even though
I do my own work I still get it put up on the rack for a check out even though I used to do work for my mechanic and he knows my capabilities.
Hey I can miss stuff. Like was
mentioned already, develop a relationship with a local or take it to a dealership.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
and in spirit of the poster above that replied to me...

Fuck PA.
Fuck state income taxes.
Fuck our liquor laws.
Fuck our gasoline taxes.

and FBHO.

View Quote

Amen brother
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Greetings,

See below. Also, an expired or missing inspection sticker is pretext to getting pulled over at any time. Once that happens, it's all up to how the interaction between you and the officer goes. You could end up with a pile of summery violations quite easily with the corresponding fines. As a previous professional mechanic, I'm insulted that I have to pay someone else to verify I keep my vehicles in good shape. It's just part of the "$ for gov game". They get the money one way or another. FYI, I use a small independent local shop that's been great to deal with, but I'm not in your area. Bite the bullet and good luck!

Regards, Jim

Quoted:
A citation for no/expired inspection is $128.50. It's much cheaper to get the inspection done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I know it's an hour or so out from Mifflin, but if you're ever up in Lewisburg the Bastian Tire in town has always been a good experience.  Used them for 6+ years.   They can be busy though, so you may want an appt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top