Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 3:20:21 PM EDT
Hi all- I am interested in shooting my first USPSA match and just realized they have them at the Lower Providence Gun Club. I can't get through to the club to ask if I need to be a member to participate. Anyone have any insight or suggestions? I am strongly considering joining anyway, as I hate the Delaware County Field and Stream rules and attitude. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No you do not need to be a member to shoot at the USPSA shoots.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Great, thank you. Very excited to see how bad I am.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me know how it goes. I'm also interested in going over there to shoot my first match

I can only bet I'm close to god awful
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Go on the USPSA website and read the rules.

When you get to the match tell them upfront you need instruction. The RO of your squad will make sure you are guided all along the way. Take your time shooting. don't turn around with your pistol unholstered.

Don't do anything unless instructed by the RO. watch the direction of the muzzle when reloading. Did I mention take your time?

You are shooting production class? have at least 4 mags. mags can be more than 10 rounds, but you will only be able to load 10, except for mag #1, you can load 11, because you start with a loaded gun in most stages and will still have 10 in the mag.  I have been able to complete every stage ive ever shot, except for one time, that I really screwed up and ran out, that cost me 8 misses or 80 points. You can put the mags in your pockets if you don't have all the gear. All you really need is a holster, eyes and ears.

Have fun and be safe.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Let me know how it goes. I'm also interested in going over there to shoot my first match

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. I suggest going when I do so that you look good in comparison.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go on the USPSA website and read the rules.

When you get to the match tell them upfront you need instruction. The RO of your squad will make sure you are guided all along the way. Take your time shooting. don't turn around with your pistol unholstered.

Don't do anything unless instructed by the RO. watch the direction of the muzzle when reloading. Did I mention take your time?

You are shooting production class? have at least 4 mags. mags can be more than 10 rounds, but you will only be able to load 10, except for mag #1, you can load 11, because you start with a loaded gun in most stages and will still have 10 in the mag.  I have been able to complete every stage ive ever shot, except for one time, that I really screwed up and ran out, that cost me 8 misses or 80 points. You can put the mags in your pockets if you don't have all the gear. All you really need is a holster, eyes and ears.

Have fun and be safe.

Thanks! I have been reading about it and definitely will let the RO know that I'm a newb.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Do both Lower Providence and New Holland's USPSA matches.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually just emailed about New Holland yesterday. The lady in charge lives near me. I wish DelCo Field and Stream had better events.  I am hoping to make one match this year and start with more in the spring. I have a couple more questions, was trying not to start a new thread. My two pistols I would choose from are both factory threaded. Would that be an issue? PPX and CZ P09. I would probably shoot the CZ. I will likely pick up something specific for the sport over winter. Nothing too fancy, but just enough! Probably an SP01 and some Cajun mods. I have no doubt I will be terrible, but looking forward to learning and the challenge. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I actually just emailed about New Holland yesterday. The lady in charge lives near me. I wish DelCo Field and Stream had better events.  I am hoping to make one match this year and start with more in the spring. I have a couple more questions, was trying not to start a new thread. My two pistols I would choose from are both factory threaded. Would that be an issue? PPX and CZ P09. I would probably shoot the CZ. I will likely pick up something specific for the sport over winter. Nothing too fancy, but just enough! Probably an SP01 and some Cajun mods. I have no doubt I will be terrible, but looking forward to learning and the challenge. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any gun with an external hammer must be de-cocked on start. Striker fired guns are more common.

here is a list of the approved guns. http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any gun with an external hammer must be de-cocked on start. Striker fired guns are more common.

here is a list of the approved guns. http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

Thanks for the link. P09 has a decocker so SHOULD be okay. No PPX listed. I wonder why. It's certainly a cheap-o, but man is it accurate. I have a few more legal choices, but am moving away from XD's and .40.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link. P09 has a decocker so SHOULD be okay. No PPX listed. I wonder why. It's certainly a cheap-o, but man is it accurate. I have a few more legal choices, but am moving away from XD's and .40.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for the link. P09 has a decocker so SHOULD be okay. No PPX listed. I wonder why. It's certainly a cheap-o, but man is it accurate. I have a few more legal choices, but am moving away from XD's and .40
View Quote

Yeah, it has a decocker....  but your first shot will have to be double action.  I guess no biggie, but you have to get used to that.  Striker fired wont have that issue.

9mm is certainly cheaper to shoot, but don't rule out .40.  I shoot .40 production out of a G23 and find it to be OK. recoil management is harder, but that's the gun I have the gear for, so I use it.  I cant use the 9mm conversion barrel and shoot production because it violates the rules. nobody checks at club level matches for rule violations. Its mostly by the honor system and I'm honest.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see the CZ 75 SA model on there (single action)? I've used mine in a couple of matches because it's my go-to gun. Could be the clubs just gave me a pass because I was a newb? Or should it be on that list?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]

At the club level, nobody will check. Its up to you to obey the rules.  I shoot at 3 clubs, have never been checked.

Once you get into a higher level match, they check your gun and mags for weight, size and mods. They also chrono your ammo with your gun.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At the club level, nobody will check. Its up to you to obey the rules.  I shoot at 3 clubs, have never been checked.

Once you get into a higher level match, they check your gun and mags for weight, size and mods. They also chrono your ammo with your gun.

View Quote

Totally understand. Thanks for your help. I'm looking to try it before I drop $1,000 into a non-threaded pistol to compete. That being said- I'm have already started browsing. I might even go glock after shooting a 19 this past weekend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

So at a higher level match, my 75 SA would be a no-go?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't answer that. Contact uspsa.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
First USPSA match?

Shoot your "Production" gun in Limited loaded to capacity. Yes, it's a minor caliber and you'll get less points for anything not an A, but you'll do less reloads.

You won't win Limited, but you weren't going to win Production anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First USPSA match?

Shoot your "Production" gun in Limited loaded to capacity. Yes, it's a minor caliber and you'll get less points for anything not an A, but you'll do less reloads.

You won't win Limited, but you weren't going to win Production anyway.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. Now to wait for the matches next year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top