Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 9:38:05 PM EDT
Ok so my local municipality is rural. Not farm rural but our county is a mix of farm land and small towns.

I just took my hunters safety course and I'm now aware of game laws. Apparently the fish and game commission essentially owns every single animal that's not registered with the courthouse.

Well we seem to have a really bad raccoon problem in down. I've got a decent sized yard with an appropriate backstop for any critter control. 100% safe.
Raccoons attacked my neighbors dog in broad daylight and now the poor thing has to be put in quarantine until they find out if it had rabies.
The darn raccoons rip up every garbage bag in the neighborhood. They are becoming a big problem.
Cops told us to keep it quiet, and they don't care how we take care of them, as long as there's no noise ordinance laws broken.
I'm not interested in fur or meat or anything else. We just want them all gone.
However the game commission seems to only allow you to kill them with a firearm during hunting season?

What gives? Do I listen to the cops or do I have to wait until hunting season, and kill them in the woods

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The cops can't give you the okay to shoot an animal covered by the Game Commission.

The cops are basically saying, keep it quiet and we don't care.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cops can't give you the okay to shoot an animal covered by the Game Commission.

The cops are basically saying, keep it quiet and we don't care.

View Quote

This. Raccoon version of SSS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]

I may or may not have  trapped said animal in a live trap, then take the trap into my woods and blast em. rinse and repeat.  I may have or may not have killed every last raccoon in my AO, but no more garbage can attacks, or bird feeders have been ripped down for a couple of years.

Local fuzz don't care.

Keep your mouth shut and don't tell your neighbors.  Neighbors have loose lips.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
pop them with a 22LR.  scoop up with a shovel and bury them in the woods behind your house.

game commission isn't/shouldn't be a problem unless your neighbors get cranked up.

My neighbors are always asking me to shoot ferrel cats, coons, ground hogs that tear up the yards.

Only ones I stay away from are the skunks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I may or may not have  trapped said animal in a live trap, then take the trap into my woods and blast em. rinse and repeat.  I may have or may not have killed every last raccoon in my AO, but no more garbage can attacks, or bird feeders have been ripped down for a couple of years.

Local fuzz don't care.

View Quote
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I bought a Hav-a-heart trap for a similar problem.  Catch em and dispose.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Local fuzz don't care.

I may or may not Hav-a-heart.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
No one ever 'splain the SSS??
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
SSS?

Thanks for all the comments!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SSS?

Thanks for all the comments!
View Quote

Shoot
Shovel
Shut up
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Remington .22 long hollow point subsonics are very quiet out of a  rifle.

Be discrete.

For a long time porcupines were "protected". (they weren't fur bearers and they weren't game animals. The Game commission finally wised up a little over those horrid pests.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
My local cops have told me to SSS on several wild animals (raccoons in particular).  Had a sick one that was wandering between my yard and a few other neighbors.

When my nephew was bit by a feral cat at my place years ago his mother called the police (because animal control wasn't coming out).  Cops basically said shoot it in the body so they can check the brain for rabies.

Last year someone shot a deer with a bow and it died on my property; game commission didn't even care when I called to report it; their bigger concern was ensuring I disposed of it instead of harvesting the meat.

SSS with raccoons and that's about all that needs to be said.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Some people would set out a have a heart trap with some tuna in it.  Then SSS.  Emphasis on the last S.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]

§ 141.3. Protection removed under certain circumstances.
(a)  General.

(1)  Protection is removed from wildlife, except migratory birds, big game and threatened or endangered species, when personal property, other than an agricultural crop, is being destroyed or damaged.

(2)  Wildlife may only be taken by the owner or person in charge of the personal property affected.

(3)  Wildlife taken to protect personal property shall be taken in a humane and lawful manner.
View Quote

Nuisance Raccoons on your property are fair game.  Hunting seasons and regulations including safety zones do not apply
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nuisance Raccoons on your property are fair game.  Hunting seasons and regulations including safety zones do not apply
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

§ 141.3. Protection removed under certain circumstances.

Thanks - good to know and will help with my squirrel problems...

I have them on the catch and release system when I can. I catch them and many miles away, release them

I also pop them when I can using .22 CB's. In a rifle they are quitter than an air rifle. 25 yards is about max for minute-of-squirrel accuracy. I have done some rabbits with head shots but their heads are bigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top