Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 11:26:15 AM EDT
Now first off I don't wanna hear 'you should already know your state laws', I know I should, But I still have trouble fully understanding them so please don't be a dick about it

But now to my question, My dad was in a motorcycle accident and what we think happened (And by we think were 95% sure it happened this way between the witnesses and the collision repair guy) was his Drivebelt on his motorcycle broke and he lost control and went head first into a stone wall at 75mph (75mph WAS the speed limit BTW). But now the Commonwealth of PA is charging my dad $90.85 for breaking Law: 75 - 3309 - 1

I looked up this and can't figure it out Can they charge him for 'breaking" the law?

And I'm not going to take anyone's legal advice, I just wanna know if my dad's wreck is justified to this charge?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Where in PA was the speed limit 75mph? Title 75 ( The vehicle code) section 3309 (1) is "Driving on roadways laned for traffic. (1) Driving within a single lane. A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.

That is what you cite someone for when the go off the roadway and crash. Most police are not inspection mechanics so they wouldn't know what went wrong with the bike. If he feels it was a mechanical problem, he needs to gather his evidence, plead not guilty to the citation and attend the traffic hearing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry about not knowing the law - most LEO's don't either as well as too many judges
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Op must mean 65 mph.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Is he alive?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is he alive?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where in PA was the speed limit 75mph? Title 75 ( The vehicle code) section 3309 (1) is "Driving on roadways laned for traffic. (1) Driving within a single lane. A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.

That is what you cite someone for when the go off the roadway and crash. Most police are not inspection mechanics so they wouldn't know what went wrong with the bike. If he feels it was a mechanical problem, he needs to gather his evidence, plead not guilty to the citation and attend the traffic hearing.
View Quote

On I-80, right after you get on the ramp from 477, the speed limit there is 75mph no joke

And yes he is alive and we'll praying everyday for him to get better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top