Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
Bought a pistol from my neighbor.  He is an older guy and he ain't getting around to much.

Can I handle the FFL transfer on my own?  Maybe make up a bill of sale stating who is selling and who is buying then having us both sign it?

If I have to get him down to the sporting good store I will but before I go that route I wanted to see if I could handle it myself.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Handgun transfers have to go through a dealer. If he can't bring it down, someone else would have to (child, grandchild, wife).
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bought a pistol from my neighbor.  He is an older guy and he ain't getting around to much.

Can I handle the FFL transfer on my own?  Maybe make up a bill of sale stating who is selling and who is buying then having us both sign it?

If I have to get him down to the sporting good store I will but before I go that route I wanted to see if I could handle it myself.

Thanks!!
View Quote

The PA Attorney Generals Gun Violence Task Force looks for people just like you and your neighbor to send to prison.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you all are missing my point.

I WILL be using an FFL to transfer the pistol.

My question is do we both need to be there?  I know if it goes through the mail to an FFL, there isn't a problem.  My question is being we are neighbors and I am not going to have him mail it to the FFL, can I make up a bill of sale and bring that and the pistol to the FFL to do the transfer?

Not looking to handle the sale like a long gun, just trying to make life easy for my neighbor.  Like I said, if I have to get him in a car and drive him down, I will.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My question is do we both need to be there?  I know if it goes through the mail to an FFL, there isn't a problem.  My question is being we are neighbors and I am not going to have him mail it to the FFL, can I make up a bill of sale and bring that and the pistol to the FFL to do the transfer?

Not looking to handle the sale like a long gun, just trying to make life easy for my neighbor.  Like I said, if I have to get him in a car and drive him down, I will.
View Quote

Yes, you either both need to be there OR he needs to overnight it via UPS or Fedex (per their policy) OR if the FFL allows it, he could drop the gun off prior and you arrive to do the transfer later.

You can't just make up a bill of sale and bring that. The FFL needs to receive the firearm from the individual or another FFL to put in their A&D books.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
okay thanks, thats what I thought but wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, you either both need to be there OR he needs to overnight it via UPS or Fedex (per their policy) OR if the FFL allows it, he could drop the gun off prior and you arrive to do the transfer later.

You can't just make up a bill of sale and bring that. The FFL needs to receive the firearm from the individual or another FFL to put in their A&D books.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I actually tried to do something very similar years ago, I was in a very unusual situation. But no, a shop isn't going to take a signed paper like that, they have no idea if it's stolen or not.

And as said, your neighbor as a non-FFL cannot send it via US Mail. It would have to be sent Fedex or UPS.

Can I ask what general area you're located in?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top