Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2015 5:46:27 PM EDT
My lady friend has agreed to let me teach her how to shoot a handgun. She has also agreed to obtain a concealed carry permit.

So my first question is how does she go about obtaining the permit?

Does anyone know of a gun range around Pottstown, Pa.?  Even if we have to drive an hour or so. It's better than having to come out here to my part of West Virginia.  Our work schedules are hard enough to work around without trying to arrange range time here.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Each county is different so she'll have to check with the Sheriff's office. Cambria County was basically write them a check and they give you a permit. Back in the day you had to provide pics but they take them at the courthouse now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Each county is different so she'll have to check with the Sheriff's office. Cambria County was basically write them a check and they give you a permit. Back in the day you had to provide pics but they take them at the courthouse now.
View Quote

This. Check the website for the county she lives in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want to pay, you could probably find a PA Game Commission range within an hour drive. They have some mag limit rules that aren't fun to deal with, but it's not that big of a deal. I used to shoot at one in Carlisle almost every weekend when I lived in Maryland.

ETA: Forgot, you have to have a PA hunting license or range permit to use them now. Still, they aren't that expensive and then you're covered for any range in the state.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My lady friend has agreed to let me teach her how to shoot a handgun. She has also agreed to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Does anyone know of a gun range around Pottstown, Pa.?  Even if we have to drive an hour or so. It's better than having to come out here to my part of West Virginia.  Our work schedules are hard enough to work around without trying to arrange range time here.

Thanks!
View Quote

I live 10 minutes from Pottstown, PA.  She will have to get a background check at her local police station.  This form will then get sent to the courthouse in Norristown, PA.  This is where she will go to get her picture taken and card issued for her permit.  Check out the link below for the Montgomery County website on what to fill out.  I had to call the courthouse to confirm my paperwork made it from my local police to them (they forgot to call me when it was sent in).
http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=401

As far as places to shoot.  There is an indoor range just outside of the Mt. Penn area about 20 minutes from Pottstown.  Sensibly Armed is the gun shops name.  There is also an outdoor state range down Rt. 100 - it will be the french creek state range.  You must either have a hunting license or range card to shoot there.  I would suggest the indoor range.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As far as places to shoot.  There is an indoor range just outside of the Mt. Penn area about 20 minutes from Pottstown.  Sensibly Armed is the gun shops name.  There is also an outdoor state range down Rt. 100 - it will be the french creek state range.  You must either have a hunting license or range card to shoot there.  I would suggest the indoor range.
View Quote

What's the low down on that French Creek range?  Is it usually empty, crowded?  Are shooters decently friendly, rude, shady?  Do I need to bring my own target stands?
Haven't been but figured it's probably closest state range from me and just looking to know what to expect.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I live 10 minutes from Pottstown, PA.  She will have to get a background check at her local police station.  This form will then get sent to the courthouse in Norristown, PA.  This is where she will go to get her picture taken and card issued for her permit.  Check out the link below for the Montgomery County website on what to fill out.  I had to call the courthouse to confirm my paperwork made it from my local police to them (they forgot to call me when it was sent in).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Pretty sure you can just print out the form, fill it out, and drop it off at the Sheriff's station....which is exactly what I did.  Never heard of having to go to the local police station to get a background check first or maybe I'm just misinterpretting your post.

Also, parts of Pottstown are in Chester County, which means she would have to drop off her application at the Sheriff's office in West Chester.
ETA:  Looked at your link and saw the local police check form...WTF?  Definitely didn't have to do that in Chester County and how is that even legal considering gun laws are governed at the state level, not local???  Also, what are the local police gonna dig up that the Sheriff's office can't?  Seems like some Philly style BS to make it harder for people to get a permit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pretty sure you can just print out the form, fill it out, and drop it off at the Sheriff's station....which is exactly what I did.  Never heard of having to go to the local police station to get a background check first or maybe I'm just misinterpretting your post.

Also, parts of Pottstown are in Chester County, which means she would have to drop off her application at the Sheriff's office in West Chester.
ETA:  Looked at your link and saw the local police check form...WTF?  Definitely didn't have to do that in Chester County and how is that even legal considering gun laws are governed at the state level, not local???  Also, what are the local police gonna dig up that the Sheriff's office can't?  Seems like some Philly style BS to make it harder for people to get a permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually asked that question in a very nice way at the Sheriff's office and received the following response (this was over 6 or 7 years ago - so going off of memory).  The local police check helps speed up the process, they delegate the responsibilty to the local police in order to help free up their resources and it is a less extensive check at the Sheriff level.  Not sure if this is how they are still justifying it or not but that is the jist of the answer I received a while ago.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I actually asked that question in a very nice way at the Sheriff's office and received the following response (this was over 6 or 7 years ago - so going off of memory).  The local police check helps speed up the process, they delegate the responsibilty to the local police in order to help free up their resources and it is a less extensive check at the Sheriff level.  Not sure if this is how they are still justifying it or not but that is the jist of the answer I received a while ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing is, I know people in York County (parents, friends) and people in Berks (several co-workers) who get their permits given to them on the spot, not more than a 10 or 15 minute wait.  I submitted my paperwork, got my pic, and got my permit in the mail 2 weeks later.  How long did you have to wait in MontCo?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's the low down on that French Creek range?  Is it usually empty, crowded?  Are shooters decently friendly, rude, shady?  Do I need to bring my own target stands?
Haven't been but figured it's probably closest state range from me and just looking to know what to expect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had mixed experiences there.  I have shown up and I was the only shooter or very few people have been there.  Those days went well.

On the weekends it tends to be crowded.  I actually had to wait for 30 minutes to get on a bench to shoot one weekend.  

You do not need to bring your own stands, just targets and a stapler to attach the target to the holder.  There are 6 or 8 100 yard benches and a couple for 50 if my memory serves me correct.  

I haven't been there since my last horrible experience that involved a kid going hot while I was down range changing targets.  Tried to talk to the kids Dad about safe gun handling practices and that the line should be cold while people are down range.  The Dad told my me to mind my own business and that he had it under control.  Informed him the rifle was off of safe and somebody could get killed.  I immediatly packed my stuff up, took a picture of the guy in case someone did get hurt and left.  Shortly after I joined a private range and can't be happier (University Rifle Club).  I will gladly pay $50 a year in membership dues to shoot with people that are safe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The thing is, I know people in York County (parents, friends) and people in Berks (several co-workers) who get their permits given to them on the spot, not more than a 10 or 15 minute wait.  I submitted my paperwork, got my pic, and got my permit in the mail 2 weeks later.  How long did you have to wait in MontCo?
View Quote

I waited for over a month to get my permit.  Somebody was supposed to call me to tell me the local check passed and that I could come back and get my picture taken and permit issued.  That phone call was never made and I had to follow up myself.  I ended up calling my local police station (in this case it was the state police for where I reside) to check on the status of my check and they told me they submitted it weeks ago.  That is when I called the Sherrifs office to find out someone forgot to call me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I waited for over a month to get my permit.  Somebody was supposed to call me to tell me the local check passed and that I could come back and get my picture taken and permit issued.  That phone call was never made and I had to follow up myself.  I ended up calling my local police station (in this case it was the state police for where I reside) to check on the status of my check and they told me they submitted it weeks ago.  That is when I called the Sherrifs office to find out someone forgot to call me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody isn't doing something right.  As far as I understand, it should be the same process throughout the state.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Pottstown...if your GF's zip is 19464 that is Montgomery Co...if it's 19465 then she is in Chester Co...Chester Co is much easier to obtain her LTCF.  Montgomery Co you must jump through more hoops to get her permit and it takes longer.

I belong to Elverson Gun Club which bumps up against French Creek gameland...I personally would advised against going to French Creek gameland...some real idiots shoot there.  There are a bunch of gun clubs in the area...Bechtelsville has a club that is 10 minutes from Pottstown and it's $30 a year to join.  It's not a good club to sight in rifles as the "benches" are crude, but that club allows me to run and gun as many clubs do not allow it's members to do that.  Bechtelsville club holds their meetings every 3rd Tuesday at 7PM.

When I need to sight in my rifles, I'll go to Elverson as that club is much nicer since they added new benches that has a roof.

You could always go to French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville as they have a nice indoor range at the gun store.  I used to work there part time and can tell you that their firearms prices are higher than Cabelas.  The range itself is nice if you want to shoot pistol.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Somebody isn't doing something right.  As far as I understand, it should be the same process throughout the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no question that Montco is violating state law. It's a question of who wants to fund the litigation. It isn't free.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is no question that Montco is violating state law. It's a question of who wants to fund the litigation. It isn't free.
View Quote

I don't believe they are in violation.
The applicant has the choice of having them do the check, or having their local PD perform the check. (http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/732)
I chose to go the local route (PSP in my case) and was ready in 2 weeks. Sure beats the 45 days it would take if I let the sherif office do it.

Edited to add, Montco sheriffs were quite clear with my wife and I that it was our job to follow up with them to see when the check was completed. They told us the wait is "about two weeks". The jerk-hole in me wanted to call daily to be a thorn in their side. The other side of me that just wants my permit asap told me to just call on day 14. I did the latter and when I called on day 14, they said the results were in, come on down. Went down same day and walked out with permits.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Mike, What county does she live in?  Permits are issued based on the county you live in.

This website, http://www.pafoa.org/counties/ will lead you to most answers you need.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I asked and she told me she is in Montgomery county.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good luck Brother.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

For a local range, I'd try Higher Ground Tactical in Shimerville.  As I understand it, the gun store and the range are operated by different people, and the hours can be a little wonky, so call first to make sure they're open.  I've not shot there, but they all seem to be real good guys.  

Its north of Pottstown on Rt.100 about 20 miles (about 30 minutes).  

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Again,  thank you all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
here are the instructions. http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=401

Good luck Brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here are the instructions. http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=401

Good luck Brother.

Thanks Brother,

I took up 6 different pistols last weekend and my Glock 43 was the best fit for her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top