Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2015 10:07:51 PM EDT
How do FFL transfers work in PA? I've been checking prices on gunbroker's FFL database and I keep seeing fees for PICS and fees for NICS.

Also, how much on average are transfer fees? I may be moving to the state from Missouri, and I usually only pay around $20 here. I am seeing $30-50 in the Pittsburgh area. Does this sound high?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems on par for a legit store front on the eastern side of the state. No idea about the kitchen table guys.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How do FFL transfers work in PA? I've been checking prices on gunbroker's FFL database and I keep seeing fees for PICS and fees for NICS.

Also, how much on average are transfer fees? I may be moving to the state from Missouri, and I usually only pay around $20 here. I am seeing $30-50 in the Pittsburgh area. Does this sound high?
View Quote

I don't think I've ever paid two separate fees for PICs and NICs.

Don't pay $30-$50. I don't doubt there are some shops out there charging that, but transfers can be had for $20.

If you're going to be in the Pittsburgh area, especially north of the city, use this guy: http://firearmtransfers.net/

A friend and I have combined used him for transfers probably dozens of times. He's friendly, organized, professional, and charges a flat $20.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My LGS IS $35.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My LGS IS $35.
View Quote

Same here, But if you order it from buds he charges $65
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Steel City Guns and Gunrunners of PA are both in the Pittsburgh area and charge $20
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Hot Metal Transfers near Bridgeville in the South Hills is also only $20.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Pa background checks are done using PICS, not NICS. PICS is the Pennsylvania Istant Check System run by the Pa State Police. For every background check done by a FFL. They are charged $2.00 if it is approved or denied. If the firearm transferred is a taxable handgun or a long gun. The FFL is charged an additional $3.00 per item. If the firearm is a non-taxable handgun or long gun then there is no additional charge. These fees are usually passed on to the buyer. So getting a transfer for around $25.00 is about the norm. A few are lower but there are some that are higher.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
wouldn't pay more than 30 bucks.  I guarantee you find a local guy for 20-25.

In PA you only need to use an FFL if you are buying a pistol and/or you are buying a gun and having it mailed to you (must be shipped to an FFL).

If you have a long gun and sell it here in PA to another person and the transaction takes place in PA, you DO NOT need an FFL.
If you have a pistol and sell it here in PA to another person and the transaction takes place in PA, you DO need an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wouldn't pay more than 30 bucks.  I guarantee you find a local guy for 20-25.

In PA you only need to use an FFL if you are buying a pistol and/or you are buying a gun and having it mailed to you (must be shipped to an FFL).

If you have a long gun and sell it here in PA to another person and the transaction takes place in PA, you DO NOT need an FFL.
If you have a pistol and sell it here in PA to another person and the transaction takes place in PA, you DO need an FFL.
View Quote

To the part in red, one correction. If you're buying a long gun from a PA resident, it can be mailed right to your door, you don't need an FFL. Anything interstate has to be through an FFL, and as you said a handgun goes through an FFL whether it's interstate or from a PA resident.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pa background checks are done using PICS, not NICS. PICS is the Pennsylvania Istant Check System run by the Pa State Police. For every background check done by a FFL. They are charged $2.00 if it is approved or denied. If the firearm transferred is a taxable handgun or a long gun. The FFL is charged an additional $3.00 per item. If the firearm is a non-taxable handgun or long gun then there is no additional charge. These fees are usually passed on to the buyer. So getting a transfer for around $25.00 is about the norm. A few are lower but there are some that are higher.
View Quote

This is 100% correct. These are the prices charged to every FFL for using PICS. Some FFL's are less than truthful about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top