Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2015 6:55:59 PM EDT
I have been having problems with my neighbor's chickens(among other things) tearing up my garden and flower beds. I have asked repeatedly for the neighbors to keep their chickens out of my yard. The straw that broke the camel's back is, yesterday this asshat decided to come into my yard with a tractor and started pushing a pile of topsoil I had onto a bare spot that straddles the property line. My wife gave him hell and he stopped. What can be done about his roaming chickens? My first instinct is to disappear them.  A fence is a last resort as I'm not the one with a livestock control issue. I think his trespassing has been halted but they do not seem to get the chicken thing. Any thoughts from other PA residents?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there any local ordinances that may apply/help you?  Do you think you could "hypothetically" ask local LE what your options are?  I don't advocate involving the man unless absolutely necessary but sometimes you just got do...
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Involving other parties always makes things difficult. With that being said, I would kindly talk to your neighbor one last time and tell him the damage that has been done and that you will be going to the authorities if they continue to go onto your property. If it continues, I would visit your local police department and ask them what your best options would be. They may visit your neighbor which may let him know how serious you are or they may suggest to call your local animal control.

ETA: I would take pictures if possible of his chickens on your property, the damage that was done, etc. otherwise it will turn into a losing battle of he said, she said.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I really do not want to get LE involved if possible. I live in the sticks so there is no police force per say so I'd have to contact the State Police. All the ordinances are vague and seem to apply to "large" livestock. I'll keep digging.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Chicken taste good on the grill just saying
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time one comes on your property, catch it with a net and take it to animal control.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a dog!!  If the dog kills a chicken, its on your property, its their fault.  Put an invisible fence up.

Don't shoot them, you will have cops and news people banging on your door and calling you a gun nut.

Let the dog take care of them.  If the other guy's chicken's cross the line and become lunch for the dog, then good for him!!

Neighbor sounds like a bad neighbor.

Tell him to build a coop and not free range.  Free range makes for dog lunch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Planning and Zoning Department handles this issue.

get a copy of that.

I'd start by having your neighbor over for a nice cookout. Make pals with him. Pals help each other out.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm exploring the zoning route. My dogs have gotten hold of a couple of chickens and I always kept them from killing them to try to keep the peace.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm exploring the zoning route. My dogs have gotten hold of a couple of chickens and I always kept them from killing them to try to keep the peace.
View Quote

What exactly are you looking for in terms of zoning? As to whether or not he can legally own them? In my opinion, the larger issue is to pursue is that he is allowing his animals access to your property. There are no laws that support such activity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I own chickens but would never let them free range.. because of situations like this.

People are dicks and inconsiderate of other people's property though. Its pathetic. You are within your legal right to shoot them if they are on your property.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Call Steven Segal?
click me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top