Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 6:53:25 PM EDT
My Daughter is graduating high school in May, and booked travel to go to Philadelphia in June to visit the site of one of her favorite authors, as well as the historical locations. Accompanying her is my Wife, both are attractive females, and I worry about the both of them traveling alone, but this is the way it is to be.

They plan on visiting: Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, and the usual touristy locations. They also are likely to either take a train or drive to D.C.

I don't know if they are renting a car (I don't think they will, it's up in the air), is it recommended, or is the transportation system most tourists use safe?

I have to find out where they are staying, so as soon as I do I'll update.

Thank you Philly local's.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
philly is just like any other city of the first class.
there are areas that should be avoided even in the light of day and there are areas that are safe day and night.
if they are used to driving on busy multi multi lane highways, then I95 from philly to dc should be no issue. but if they don't do well at the driving then maybe a rental car is not for them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Philly is a certified hole that smells like urine and garbage...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you and your family are not used to being in a major city, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Where they want to go is no big deal.  In fact "old city" is a great place to visit, eat, party, etc...

There should be no problems what so ever.  I live in Delaware County which is south of the city so I've been into Phila my whole life.

Train and I-95 are close too.

Now... I wouldn't advise walking around at 3am but I wouldn't advise it anywhere without some protection.

My advice is to relax, and don't worry.

I think DC is more of a criminal area that Phila.  North Phila (Temple University and above) is a shiz hole.  Below temple to the Navy yard to Delaware is good to go unless you go into Chester.

Chester is probably the arm pit of PA and unfortunately I live 5 miles from it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
As with any other city, stick near the people that pay $5 for a cup of coffee and you'll be okay for most of the day.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Side streets are small and tight not like nyc and its potholes for sure
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I won't be there, or this would be a non-issue. My Daughter has never been to city like Philly, the closest thing to size my wife has been is Houston & San Antonio, to say the culture is different is a gross understatement. They both have always been with me for trips out of state, hence my anxiousness.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]
That part of the city is fine. I've been through there multiple times both day and night and never had a problem. It's one of the nicest parts of the city.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you and your family are not used to being in a major city, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Where they want to go is no big deal.  In fact "old city" is a great place to visit, eat, party, etc...

There should be no problems what so ever.  I live in Delaware County which is south of the city so I've been into Phila my whole life.

Train and I-95 are close too.

Now... I wouldn't advise walking around at 3am but I wouldn't advise it anywhere without some protection.

My advice is to relax, and don't worry.

I think DC is more of a criminal area that Phila.  North Phila (Temple University and above) is a shiz hole.  Below temple to the Navy yard to Delaware is good to go unless you go into Chester.

Chester is probably the arm pit of PA and unfortunately I live 5 miles from it.
View Quote
I was pretty much going to say what you said.  Plus, don't make a wrong turn and end up in Chester!  

Chester >>IS<< the armpit of Pennsylvania and is consistently listed as one of the most dangerous cities in America.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If Chester is the "armpit" of PA, Reading is definitely the asshole.  
Philly is okay as long as you avoid the C.H.U.D.S.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]
If your wife and daughter are going to be in the tourist/business district which they sound like they will be, they will be fine.  Center City is a large enough area.  Also, when they come visit after graduation, it will be tourist season.   They will be fine.  

Traveling to DC is easy either by Amtrak or driving.  

The other places people are mentioning are not that close to where your family will be.  Generally the "bad areas" are self contained.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If your wife and daughter are going to be in the tourist/business district which they sound like they will be, they will be fine.  Center City is a large enough area.  Also, when they come visit after graduation, it will be tourist season.   They will be fine.  
Traveling to DC is easy either by Amtrak or driving.  
The other places people are mentioning are not that close to where your family will be.  Generally the "bad areas" are self contained.
View Quote

I second this.

I visited Philly last summer and had a wonderful experience.  We took a double decker tour bus all over the city. they will pick you up and drop you off at the tourist attractions at designated bus stops, and the drivers explain all the neat parts. We walked all over the center city area, near Love Park, ate lunch in an outdoor patio restaurant, watched some performing arts in the park, saw the Liberty Bell and everything in Constitution Square. We also visited the Grand Lodge of PA that is an amazing building and an architectural masterpiece and is open to the public.

They will be fine.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you get to the front entrance steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.   Then she can mimic Rocky Balboa's climb to the top.  

My buddy did this a few years ago when he visited. Just something fun to do before going into the museum.

My uncle saw lots of ladies in Minneapolis I think at 7th and Nicollet tossing their hats into the air like Mary Tyler Moore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all that have contributed. Any other sites that are considered shouldn't miss?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If your wife and daughter like art, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Barnes Museum, and the Rodin Museum are must-see's, particularly the Barnes (largest collection of Impressionist paintings outside the Louvre in France).

These are all in Center City and in very safe areas, it's also very nice to walk as they are within a 1/2 mile or so of each other.

If they will have a car, I would suggest checking out Longwood Gardens (Created by Pierre DuPont).  It's beautiful, especially when they will be visiting.  Also, Winterthur Garden is close by which is another nice attraction.

Valley Forge National Park is about 40 minutes from Philadelphia as well.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Reading Terminal Market for lunch!  Cuba Libre, Mixto, or Marrakesh for dinner.

So what's their carry gun of choice?  Glock 26?  Shield?  Kahr?  XDs?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#17]
If they have not booked a place to stay...I would suggest using Hotwire and find a good 3-4 star hotel in the center-city east section or Old Town/Penns Landing.  You can usually get a much better rate.

I live outside Philly and take visitors in several times over the last few years.  I have used the Big Bus tour company (the double decker bus referred previously)...they hit all of the major attractions and you can jump on/off as you wish. It's a very easy way to see a lot of the city/sights in a short period of time.
http://eng.bigbustours.com/philadelphia/tour-highlights.html

If they want to see something different, the tour bus goes to Eastern State Peniteniary.  Very interesting part of our early correctional period and housed Al Capone at one time.

A must is going to the Reading Terminal Market for food...lots to offer and try.

The museums metioned before are all top notch.

A trip to the Italin Market on 9th Street is always an experience.

I would probably not suggest they rent a car if they are not used to driving in a major east coast city.  Philly can be confusing on a good day and road construction makes things worse. Parking is very expensive...so I would spend the money for car/parking on using cabs and take the train from 30th Street Station to DC.  I go to DC often and just got back from a trip with my kids...so let me know if I can be help with that. Trying to drive in DC is really difficult and really not necessary. They can take the train to Union station and get around with cabs or the metro very easily.  I drove into DC some years ago and that was the last time.  

If they stay in the major tourist areas in Philly...they should be fine. As always, situational awareness is a must traveling in any city.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The tourist areas of Philly are nice and decently maintained. Philly as city's go is not bad. Friendlier than DC, not as friendly as NYC. Like most big cities the decent local people will help you out if you ask for directions, where to go etc.

I'd stay down in the Old City as that's where the attractions are. The Art Museum is within walking distance or a quick cab drive. The historic stuff is clustered in an area of about 6 blocks by 6 blocks. Stay on the edge or in the middle of it.

As others have said. Just keep your eyes open. My advice to travelers is always the same: "Don't do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places" and you'll generally be fine.

If they are going to DC from Philly, just hop the train from 30th Street Station right down to DC. Easy cab ride from center city Philly to the train station. Not worth driving imo after paying to park etc. DC is hard to drive in.

Hope they have fun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wife let her CHL lapse, no guns on this trip. It bother's the fuck out of me, but she's the boss, it doesn't make her smart though.

These are not just idle words, anything happens to them I'll make Bryan Mills look like a pussy.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wife let her CHL lapse, no guns on this trip. It bother's the fuck out of me, but she's the boss, it doesn't make her smart though.

These are not just idle words, anything happens to them I'll make Bryan Mills look like a pussy.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't carry anyway if they are going to Independence Hall / Liberty Bell.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Philly isn't as bad as some will try and make it out to be.  Tell them to keep their eyes open.  Tourist areas are kept safe, although Philly can go go from great to nasty neighborhood in only a few blocks.

For general rules, between the rivers stay south of Girard Ave and north of Washington Ave (south of Washington is ok east of Broad street, just don't cross west of Broad).  West of the Schuylkill (U City), stay south of Powellton to 38th.  There's nothing west of 38th really worth seeing, although you're good south of Market east of ~45th.  Along the Schuylkill, East Falls, Manayunk, and Mt Airy (west of Germantown) are all fine as well.  Don't cross the Delaware river into Camden NJ.  Just don't.

You may also be able to get a PA Non-resident LCTF permit; I forget what the regulations are for out of state, but she may need to have her home state, so that may be out of the question.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Stay off SEPTA buses & trains/subways.

Use cabs or tourist shuttles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top