Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2014 1:48:00 PM EDT
Who do you guys use for this? Anyone in SE PA/Delco/Philly areas? Chester County?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Who do you guys use for this? Anyone in SE PA/Delco/Philly areas? Chester County?
View Quote

I can't help with anyone local, but if you decide to ship Ident Marking Services has done great work for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've used Laser Worx in Pottstown (Montgomery County)

236 E High St, Pottstown, PA 19464
Phone:(610) 970-2900
http://www.laserworxonline.com/

They did the engraving on my MP5 SBR, engraved while I went to grab a bite to eat. They have their FFL so you're GTG with leaving a piece with them. Very nice guys (father and son shop).

-Mike
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll second Laserworx. They did a SBS for me and I'll go back there for anything else in the future. I've had Ident do some stuff for me in the past, good work but takes long and risk of damage/loss in shipping.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Third for Laserworx. I was just there today actually, second time I've been there. I've had them do both AR's and AK's. They did them all while I waited and even let me watch which was cool. They are both shooters and really nice guys to chat with. The engraving looks excellent, I can't imagine a better experience or better looking job.

If you want to do it while you wait call first to make sure the laser is available.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Fourth vote for laserworx, they did mine while I waited. Really friendly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like we have a winner!!!

ETA: Laserworx- Its relatively local, and I can drive up there, drop it off, eat lunch and pick it up after.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Is their laser cutting deep enough into the metal to meet the requirements? I know that lasers sometimes have issues with cutting deep enough. versus burning off the finish of the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like we have a winner!!!
View Quote

brich - let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is their laser cutting deep enough into the metal to meet the requirements? I know that lasers sometimes have issues with cutting deep enough. versus burning off the finish of the receiver.
View Quote

I don't have exact measurements on the work they did for me, but just looking at it the depth easily exceeds the .003" requirement.

Edit for quoting the wrong person.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do multiple passes, how many depends on the metal. I think for my steel receivers they programmed it for at least 20 passes. It looks deeper and better than the factory manufacturer engraving to me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Do any of you guys who have had engravings done refinish the metal or do you leave it as is?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys who have had engravings done refinish the metal or do you leave it as is?
View Quote

Some are spray painted and some are left as is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use cold blue or aluminum black depending on what was engraved. I'd use paint also if the finish on the receiver warranted it. Just make sure to clean out and degrease the engraved area first.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

For aluminum you can do either. If you are doing something steel you should paint it or cold blue it right away.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't help with anyone local, but if you decide to ship Ident Marking Services has done great work for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i live near philly and sent mine to ident. they do great work and turn around is 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If West Chester isn't too far for you I would give Marathon Engraving a call.

They were recommended to me from a local gun shop and did my SBR engraving. It's operated by a guy who owns a machine shop and does a variety of different things. He has an old school engraver that runs off of windows 98. I know it sounds ghetto but it came out great and I made the drive from philly in about an hour and the engraving was done in front of me in like 25 minutes or less. And if I recall correctly he only charged me $25.

I'll post a pic next time I'm at my other place where the rifle is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for laser worx.  Very nice engraving and his machine can handle large items, like an 870 receiver with brazed-in mag tube.  He also wasn't afraid of handling DDs as long as I waited while he did the engraving.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Just had  Laser Worx do the NFA engraving on my PS90 this morning using their laser- it took 15 min they let me watch - it was great.  Much better than the rotary engraving that was done on my SBR lower and for the same price.

Great guys to work with....

You can ship your receiver - they have an FFL and do custom laser engraving including the EGA on AR15 lowers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Third for Laserworx. I was just there today actually, second time I've been there. I've had them do both AR's and AK's. They did them all while I waited and even let me watch which was cool. They are both shooters and really nice guys to chat with. The engraving looks excellent, I can't imagine a better experience or better looking job.

If you want to do it while you wait call first to make sure the laser is available.
View Quote

I just got back from Laserworx and was going to post the exact same thing.  They did an AR and AK while I waited and let me watch.  Zephyr hit the nail on the head.  Top notch work and top notch people!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#21]
How small can they go?  I need to get one more done and this place is not to far from me...
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How small can they go?  I need to get one more done and this place is not to far from me...
View Quote

If you're talking about NFA engraving, the size is regulated by the ATF.
If you're not talking about NFA engraving, you'll have to call them up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about NFA engraving.  The smallest letter height is .0625.  I was just asking if anyone had theirs done at that size.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I just had my lower done by Laserworx.  I sent it to them and they did it the day it arrived, then sent it back that same day.  Very pleased with how the engraving turned out and they were great to work with.  Very responsive and professional.  I would recommend using them to anyone and plan to use them for future NFA guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was talking about NFA engraving.  The smallest letter height is .0625.  I was just asking if anyone had theirs done at that size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lettering on mine is about 0.0875.  I just told them I needed some NFA engraving.  You'd have to ask them about the size they can do.  I see no reason they couldn't go smaller but I don't own and operate a laser engraver either
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just had my lower done by Laserworx.  I sent it to them and they did it the day it arrived, then sent it back that same day.  Very pleased with how the engraving turned out and they were great to work with.  Very responsive and professional.  I would recommend using them to anyone and plan to use them for future NFA guns.
View Quote

I took in a lower that I had engraved by Ident a year or so ago to show them what I wanted and where.  They asked me about turn around time with Ident.  I believe it was around 8 weeks.  They laughed and said "We just did engraving for a guy and shipped it back out the same day we got it"  I wonder if it was you they were referring to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Just had my lower engraved by Laserworx in Pottstown today. Great work!!! Super Nice!!! Killer Price!!! I even got to watch!!!

No worries... I can not recommend Laserworx enough!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I normally send off my stuff to Orion for engraving, but I think I will let these guys take care of me when my paperwork comes in for my latest SBR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I normally send off my stuff to Orion for engraving, but I think I will let these guys take care of me when my paperwork comes in for my latest SBR.
View Quote

You don't have to wait to get the form approved, you can get it engraved now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.  I had mine engraved awhile as I'm waiting for my (hopefully any day now) stamp.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a card carrying member of the Murphy's Law Club. If even think about cutting metal on my rifle before I get that tax stamp I will get kicked in the nuts by god-knows what.

Actually, the rifle in question is out getting some work performed on it. When I get it back I will fire it off for engraving. Your move Mr Murphy......
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Ost
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Anybody know if they can do an AR on the bottom by the trigger?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the set up they have, I see no reason why not.  Give 'em a call, they're good guys.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#35]
+1 for LaserWorx. Great job and nice guys to talk to as well!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Where on the barrel can the engraving be done?  Does it have to be visible?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where on the barrel can the engraving be done?  Does it have to be visible?
View Quote

If you're doing engraving for an NFA item, I'm pretty sure it has to be done on the lower receiver since that's where the serial # is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I thought I read somewhere here the barrel was ok too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#39]
You can mark the barrel with the maker's info. S/N has to be on the receiver. Yes, it has to be visible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they can. They just did mine on Thursday. Wasn't sure there was enough room for my full name and city/state, but he said he would try.
5 minutes later he asks me to come back and double check everything. Fit in there just fine and also got to watch as others have said. Took maybe 5 minutes
to engrave. Nice guys, would recommend them to anyone. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes they can. They just did mine on Thursday. Wasn't sure there was enough room for my full name and city/state, but he said he would try.
5 minutes later he asks me to come back and double check everything. Fit in there just fine and also got to watch as others have said. Took maybe 5 minutes
to engrave. Nice guys, would recommend them to anyone. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much disassembly did you have to do to the lower?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely stripped mine, but you may be able to just remove trigger guard and trigger. May want to call and check just to be sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top