Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 3:30:26 PM EDT
I want to buy several (3) AR lowers online and it seems like all the FFL's charge insane amounts of money to take a shipment.

They want like $30-$50 PER LOWER. That's fucking ridiculous. They all go on one fucking form and it's one background check........

Anyone know of an FFL in SEPA that won't rip me off?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I found one in Blakeslee, PA near my Pocono house.

JT's Guns & Ammo

Jay was the one that answered the phone and he seemed really nice. He said it would be $25 for the transfer and he would only charge an additional $5 for the other two lowers.

So $30 for all three lowers, I can't complain.

Just thought I'd post incase someone else was wondering.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Guy I know will charge $16 and you can put 4 on a single form.  I agree with you that FFL's that will charge per SN is BS.  There is another FFL near me that will only charge once for multiple lowers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys do realize that the dealer is in business to make money money right?        When you buy guns online for virtually wholesale pricing, you are taking away a sale from the dealer. If everyone purchased online and expects the dealer to only charge $20 for multiple firearms, that dealer will be out of business in no time.   Being a FFL is not like setting up a lemonade stand in your front yard,  there are many hopes and red tape to jump through.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Give Dick Hughey a call.  Not sure how he handles lowers...but he has done about two dozen transfers for me and I am always happy.  He has lots of good reviews on PAFOA (see link)

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/46005-richard-hughey-arms-accoutrements-delaware-county.html

RICHARD HUGHEY
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
I Do Transfers 7 Days A Week
I Can Sell Your Gun On The Web For You
Ph: (610) 497-3487 6 Morgan Road
Cell: (610) 405-1313 Aston, PA 19014
Fax: (610) 497-3487 E-Mail: [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys do realize that the dealer is in business to make money money right?        When you buy guns online for virtually wholesale pricing, you are taking away a sale from the dealer. If everyone purchased online and expects the dealer to only charge $20 for multiple firearms, that dealer will be out of business in no time.   Being a FFL is not like setting up a lemonade stand in your front yard,  there are many hopes and red tape to jump through.
View Quote

Of course I do understand they are their to make money. But do they need to completely rip you off? Even doing 5 lowers on one 4473 is just one background check that costs them what, $10? So by charging $30 they are still making $20 for no more than 15 minutes of paperwork. Pretty good salary if you ask me.

Plus I'd be way more willing to frequent and buy things from a gun store where I know I will treated fairly and not charged $200 for filling out 15 minutes of paperwork that costs them $10 to complete...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats very generous of you to "allow" the dealer a whole $20.   I used to work in a gun shop, there is more than you see in "just 15 Min"  I will brake it down for you,   Your package arrives at the gun shop,  all items have to be logged in to the log book, sending dealers FFL needs to be filed. Then the customer is contacted, customer comes to fill out paper work, usually so small talk and then the question on how to fill out the 4473. Dealer places the call to instacheck enters info on customer, sometimes they go right through sometimes you put on a long hold for an approval #. Dealer has to complete 4473 and file it.  At the end of every two weeks dealer must send payment along with a detailed form on the transactions that went through insta check. The phone call pass or fail cost the dealer $5 then it a surcharge of $3 per firearm not form must be submitted. All said and done you have close to an hour into handling a transfer for someone like your self. The reason people go into business for them self is to get ahead and make more money than working some shit job for $15 an hour.  You would be the first one to cry foul if I came into your business or place of work and decided what I think you are work per hour and trivialized what you do for a living  
Quoted:

Of course I do understand they are their to make money. But do they need to completely rip you off? Even doing 5 lowers on one 4473 is just one background check that costs them what, $10? So by charging $30 they are still making $20 for no more than 15 minutes of paperwork. Pretty good salary if you ask me.

Plus I'd be way more willing to frequent and buy things from a gun store where I know I will treated fairly and not charged $200 for filling out 15 minutes of paperwork that costs them $10 to complete...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
there you have it emb876 whatever,,,
M-11 also forgot a few little bits, taxes or rents for said business, the electric bill, as the FFL runs his AC so said customer
doesnt bitch his location was to hot and muggy while he picked up his lower. business insurance, accounting fees, License fees, complaining
customers that waste so much time could of made another sale elsewhere.... inventory that never stops going up in price.... etc. etc. etc.

Quoted:
Thats very generous of you to "allow" the dealer a whole $20.   I used to work in a gun shop, there is more than you see in "just 15 Min"  I will brake it down for you,   Your package arrives at the gun shop,  all items have to be logged in to the log book, sending dealers FFL needs to be filed. Then the customer is contacted, customer comes to fill out paper work, usually so small talk and then the question on how to fill out the 4473. Dealer places the call to instacheck enters info on customer, sometimes they go right through sometimes you put on a long hold for an approval #. Dealer has to complete 4473 and file it.  At the end of every two weeks dealer must send payment along with a detailed form on the transactions that went through insta check. The phone call pass or fail cost the dealer $5 then it a surcharge of $3 per firearm not form must be submitted. All said and done you have close to an hour into handling a transfer for someone like your self. The reason people go into business for them self is to get ahead and make more money than working some shit job for $15 an hour.  You would be the first one to cry foul if I came into your business or place of work and decided what I think you are work per hour and trivialized what you do for a living  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
are you against someone making a ''pretty good salary'' ? are you one of those democraps that are down
on free market ? next time you get paid and your Boss gives you less, let me know how it feels. if you can do better open your own Gun Store.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
A dealer charges what he wants,  customers pay what they want,  when the two figures coincide,  we have a transaction.

So If a dealer wants to charge $30 per lower,  more power to him.  But if a customer feels it's to high,  don't be surprised if he shops around for a better deal. And part of that shopping around includes posts like this where fellow shooters convey pricing info.

I'm not saying the FFLs time is not worth money, not by a long shot, but let's call a spade a spade here...... the FFL transfer process exists only because of the asinine laws in place that says it has to go through an FFL. So naturally,  when someone has to pay money for something that is required but otherwise needless, they're going to want to minimize that cost when possible.  

Here in Phoenix, FFLs are a dime a dozen, and the last few transfers I did were for $10 flat. Out in PA where you have to go through an FFL even for a private handgun sale you have an inflated demand and there aren't as many FFLs so supply is less,  as such the price goes up commensurately.
That said,  when I buy new,  I buy from that same FFL, who happens to have the best deal in town when it comes to New guns.  But even If I  could find it elsewhere for a few bucks cheaper is still go to him because of the rapport built over three years. There's some things you can put s price on,  and some you can't.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Save your breath. There is no winning argument with the Defenders of the Cheap.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for explaining the entire process as I am not a gun shop employee nor an FFL dealer so I had no idea.

I obviously upset a few people for not wanting to pay for what I thought was not a fair price.

I have a feeling if someone had to pay $120 for something you could get for $30 at another place, all of you would do the same.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
are you against someone making a ''pretty good salary'' ? are you one of those democraps that are down
on free market ? next time you get paid and your Boss gives you less, let me know how it feels. if you can do better open your own Gun Store.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt mean to offend anyone with my posts. It seems you have something against "democraps" who don't agree with a particular price point.

On another note do you know what a free market is? If there are a few more steps behind the scenes in a particular monetary transaction then in a free market a seller can charge whatever he or she wants for those services. In the same context in a free market as a buyer I can choose to pay whatever price I feel is fair for said transaction, and if said price is agreeable with a certain seller then we have a deal. If one person offers a service at $120 that another does at $30, well that's free market for you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL LOL LOL
that was the funniest thing i read on Arfcom in years....

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Or find a gun shop that sells lowers. Trops in Elizabethtown pa has andersons for 50.00. And others as well. Plus there is a cool gun shop in easton that sells lowers of different manufacturers. I understand completely about not wanting to pay a ton for paper work. Oh and YES I do support my lgs before I shop online or chain stores.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
You could always check out King Shooters Supply in KOP. They have a wide selection of lowers and parts in stock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Try Doug Schofield in Downingtown, real reasonable and straightforward.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Give Dick Hughey a call.  Not sure how he handles lowers...but he has done about two dozen transfers for me and I am always happy.  He has lots of good reviews on PAFOA (see link)

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/46005-richard-hughey-arms-accoutrements-delaware-county.html

RICHARD HUGHEY
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

RICHARD HUGHEY
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
View Quote

Dick is a great guy and makes himself very available. I just picked up a few lowers from him and he DOES charge per item. I don't mind because he's a great guy but from the sounds of it he is not what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Try Wellington Sporting Goods in Souderton.  He charges $20.  If you call him ahead of time he might do it for all three at $20 not sure though.  Great guy to deal with though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Try Wellington Sporting Goods in Souderton.  He charges $20.  If you call him ahead of time he might do it for all three at $20 not sure though.  Great guy to deal with though.
View Quote

Thanks for that heads up, going to use him on a rifle I got coming in. Half the price of everyone else near me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A dealer charges what he wants,  customers pay what they want,  when the two figures coincide,  we have a transaction.

So If a dealer wants to charge $30 per lower,  more power to him.  But if a customer feels it's to high,  don't be surprised if he shops around for a better deal. And part of that shopping around includes posts like this where fellow shooters convey pricing info.

I'm not saying the FFLs time is not worth money, not by a long shot, but let's call a spade a spade here...... the FFL transfer process exists only because of the asinine laws in place that says it has to go through an FFL. So naturally,  when someone has to pay money for something that is required but otherwise needless, they're going to want to minimize that cost when possible.  

View Quote

FFL's are the beneficiaries of crony capitalists who aligned themselves with anti-gunners back in 1968 and got the federal government to intervene in the market and create another profit center for them.  Now some of them whine that they are not fairly compensated by said victims of government intervention--LOL, LOL, LOL.

Fortunately the free exchange of information via the Internet serves to somewhat mitigate things.

Just go to Gunbroker, etc. and look on their FFL page and check out the best transfer price in your area.

If you don't you are giving charity to someone who doesn't deserve it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#22]
To make you feel better Keystone Armory a LGS wants $65 per lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top