Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 10:20:24 PM EDT
Any info about southern butler or eastern westmorland would be great.

I am originally from Claysville (rural Washington county) and have been stuck in white oak for the past 7 years. I'm Trying to get out of Allegheny county. I work in Glenshaw just NE of the city. Washington county is out because I hate the city and do not what to commute through it every day. I grew up in western pa and I know absolutely nothing about north or east of the city (Butler/Westmoreland county). My goals are to keep my commute to 1 hour and be able to shoot on my property. Good schools are also a plus but anywhere would be an automatic upgrade.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about schools and enough property for shooting, but I'd start my search in like Mars or Saxonburg.  Saxonburg would probably be more likely to have enough land shooting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know about schools and enough property for shooting, but I'd start my search in like Mars or Saxonburg.  Saxonburg would probably be more likely to have enough land shooting.
View Quote
In Washington I could shoot from my house with 1.5 acres. It had woods and a hill behind to act as a back stop plus neighbors who didnt mind and would participate in shooting every once in a while. Hoping to find something similar hopefully with some more land. going to look today at 5 acres in saxonburg. will be my first trip up there so hopefully I like the area!

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Mars is pretty nice too.

Buy close to Rt 228 and you can jump on it to rt 8 to get to work.

Be wary of the gas rights attached to a property. if it is being sold with rights, that's worth about a one time payment of  $5000 per acre if you lease on with a gas company. Royalties after the drilling vary, but 18% is a good rule of thumb. That's worth a couple hundred a month for the first 1-3 years of production per acre and around $100 after that up to about 15 years or so. some wells last much less, some more.  its a gamble.

If the property already has a lease contract and you buy the property with rights, don't expect the well company to give you that initial $5000 sign on bonus, you will only get the royalties payment.

Whatever you do regarding the gas wells and the contracts, consult a Leasing services expert.

That whole area up there is being drilled or is in the initial stages of exploration.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Mars is pretty nice too.

View Quote

Be wary of the gas rights attached to a property. if it is being sold with rights, that's worth about a one time payment of  $5000 per acre if you lease on with a gas company. Royalties after the drilling vary, but 18% is a good rule of thumb. That's worth a couple hundred a month for the first 1-3 years of production per acre and around $100 after that up to about 15 years or so. some wells last much less, some more.  its a gamble.

If the property already has a lease contract and you buy the property with rights, don't expect the well company to give you that initial $5000 sign on bonus, you will only get the royalties payment.

Whatever you do regarding the gas wells and the contracts, consult a Leasing services expert.

That whole area up there is being drilled or is in the initial stages of exploration.

Just left a place out that way. 5 acres surrounded by rolling pastures and woods. Absolutely loved it. Then the agent said no mineral rights with the property. Heart breaking. Asking why. She beats around the bush and says they aren't drilling near there. I say maybe not now but they will be for sure in the near future. After calling her out she says I'm not supposed to disclose the but they are getting $4/month royalties. Anyways I am meeting with the owner Tuesday to walk property since listing agent didn't know where it ended. Gunna ask him about the rights and try persuade him to let them go.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mars is pretty nice too.

Just left a place out that way. 5 acres surrounded by rolling pastures and woods. Absolutely loved it. Then the agent said no mineral rights with the property. Heart breaking. Asking why. She beats around the bush and says they aren't drilling near there. I say maybe not now but they will be for sure in the near future. After calling her out she says I'm not supposed to disclose the but they are getting $4/month royalties. Anyways I am meeting with the owner Tuesday to walk property since listing agent didn't know where it ended. Gunna ask him about the rights and try persuade him to let them go.

did you say Four Dollars a month?  that's not Marcellus shale gas.... they are still leased on with a company for the shallow well gas.... problem with that is, that company holds the rights even if a driller comes into the area and finds a play of Marcellus gas. it gets complicated....This shit is available at the courthouse. It is public record.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mars is pretty nice too.

did you say Four Dollars a month?  that's not Marcellus shale gas.... they are still leased on with a company for the shallow well gas.... problem with that is, that company holds the rights even if a driller comes into the area and finds a play of Marcellus gas. it gets complicated....This shit is available at the courthouse. It is public record.

Don't think she knew much about anything. Current owners parents own the farm next door. I Could see atleast 100 acres of fenced pastures.  not sure how much they actually own but it's possible they hold the rights. Gunna have to dig deeper and see what info he will give me Tuesday. What scares me the most isn't about loosing royalties. It's about them putting a future well on my property destroying half of it in the process.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mars is pretty nice too.

Don't think she knew much about anything. Current owners parents own the farm next door. I Could see atleast 100 acres of fenced pastures.  not sure how much they actually own but it's possible they hold the rights. Gunna have to dig deeper and see what info he will give me Tuesday. What scares me the most isn't about loosing royalties. It's about them putting a future well on my property destroying half of it in the process.  

a Marcellus shale gas well typically needs at least 10 acres of space  to operate the  drilling operation.

you have the opportunity to sign a no surface operations clause in your sales contract.

Even if they drill next door, the surface operation might only take a year to complete, and then the only thing you will see after that, is a few surface tanks and some valving at the drill location. The well management company or its sub contractor will maintain the site and have access to it 24/7, but will typically only access it during the day.

You will have the opportunity to see any well or pipeline permitting applications or contracts if you decide to buy this house/property, and you need to hire an attorney or consultant with this experience. The realtor is probably not going to know much about it and honestly I wouldn't trust them anyway.

ETA.. they need decently sized  roads to get in the area... if they don't have those, they will build them at their cost. Its a lot cheaper for them to drill wells in areas that have a decent road.  So if you buy property on a single lane gravel or dirt road theres a pretty good chance they may decide to drill on property that easier for them to get to with their Tri axles and oversized loads.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a property out side of wheeling with a prior well and they just finished drilling a 2nd one. They made some roads to get out there. At my fathers in Washington I watched them redo a huge section of old rt40 to support the trucks. They are hauling water 24/7. Gunna have to get ahold of a lawyer about the surface rights. I know it's included in the sale but I thought him still having the mineral rights meant they could use the surface to support the operation. Knowing my whole Property wouldn't be turned in to a holding pond for a year or two will make me feel much better.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a property out side of wheeling with a prior well and they just finished drilling a 2nd one. They made some roads to get out there. At my fathers in Washington I watched them redo a huge section of old rt40 to support the trucks. They are hauling water 24/7. Gunna have to get ahold of a lawyer about the surface rights. I know it's included in the sale but I thought him still having the mineral rights meant they could use the surface to support the operation. Knowing my whole Property wouldn't be turned in to a holding pond for a year or two will make me feel much better.  
View Quote
The person you are buying from may still have the rights, what you need is a No Surface addendum to the lease contract.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top