Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 2:12:09 PM EDT
If I bought 10acres in Pike PA could I shoot on my land with proper backstop?

What are some of the rules?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Rules are to be safe and have backstop.   My neighbor shoots on less than 3 acres.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as bullets don't leave your property you're good.  As long as there is no specific laws in that jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
As pointed out, Rule #1 is; are there any local laws/ordinances that allow the recreational discharge of a firearm? Rule #2 would be, can it be done safely?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Will check local ordinances before I buy property but good to know that there are no state restrictions. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot on 1 acre.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]
^^^ Thanks.  I called local police and confirmed the same.  I may move forward with between 2 and 5.  I only recently read that hunting with suppressors is legal in PA.  Need to read more fully but is it also legal to hunt with SBRs?  Pistols?

I recently finished a 12" 458 Socom that would be good in the bush.  Also have a suppressor pending for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^^ Thanks.  I called local police and confirmed the same.  I may move forward with between 2 and 5.  I only recently read that hunting with suppressors is legal in PA.  Need to read more fully but is it also legal to hunt with SBRs?  Pistols?

I recently finished a 12" 458 Socom that would be good in the bush.  Also have a suppressor pending for it.
View Quote

SBRs are legal, but pistols aren't. ANYTHING semi auto is no good save a shotgun plugged to three rounds and only used for small game. Revolvers are GTG for anything.

You could have a Thompson Center Contender / Encore with a short barrel (provided you paid the tax), but this is a single shot. Semi autos rifles are not legal for hunting in PA although they are working to change that. You can own them, you just can't hunt with them. I figure by the time they invent directed energy weapons, they will allow semi autos for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
^^^ Thanks for the summary info.  Guess I might end up putting together an SBR upper with plugged gas hole for non semi auto hunting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
^^^ Thanks for the summary info.  Guess I might end up putting together an SBR upper with plugged gas hole for non semi auto hunting.
View Quote

If you walk into the woods and the game warden sees this, Even though it might be legal,  you are going to have some explaining to do.  

I would guess that most wardens will not have a full comprehension of this setup.    

This very topic has been discussed at length on pafoa.org and if I remember correctly, it was thought to be a no go.

edit::  I believe the PGC has ruled that a semi-auto rifle is still considered semi auto even if it has been disabled from shooting in semi.    I cannot find the post, but did find some mentions of this ruling on pafoa.org.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^ Not sure I can abide.  If I build an effectively bolt action upper semi auto then it is not semi auto.  Won't mind educating the warden.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

^^^ Not sure I can abide.  If I build an upper semi auto then it is semi auto.  Won't mind educating the warden.
View Quote

The game commission officers have more power in this state than any other office including the State Police. You may think and I may think its OK, but I know for a fact that they DO NOT. I have explained this circumstance to several officers and their supervisors, and they will not budge on the issue...

If it looks like a fully automatic rocket launcher then that's what it is, no matter how it functions.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Pike county resident here.  Yes you can shoot on your own property without any issues. If your looking in the Shohola area drop me a line. I have a 2 acre piece that is up for sale. Also if you need any info on the area feel free to drop me a line.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The game commission officers have more power in this state than any other office including the State Police. You may think and I may think its OK, but I know for a fact that they DO NOT. I have explained this circumstance to several officers and their supervisors, and they will not budge on the issue...

If it looks like a fully automatic rocket launcher then that's what it is, no matter how it functions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^ Not sure I can abide.  If I build an upper semi auto then it is semi auto.  Won't mind educating the warden.

This IS correct.

If it is PERMANATLY converted to single shot, they will still give you grief over it.

If it can in ANY, way shape or form be converted back to semi, it will be confiscated and you will be fined and lose your license.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it is, what it is.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^ This BS has not been challenged?  They are overstepping and assuming authority over NON SEMI auto firearms over which they have no claim.  Bolt actions have been converted into semi auto therefore they are forbidden too?

"ANY, way shape or form be converted back to semi"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top