Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2014 3:45:27 PM EDT
I was riding with my buddy westbound on Rte 30 from Gettysburg to Chambersburg about 2PM yesterday. Going over the mountain, we were behind several large trucks that were running about 45 MPH. When the way was clear, my buddy pulled out and passed the trucks, and just as he pulled back into the westbound lanes, a PA state trooper pulled out onto the road behind us and pulled us over.
The trooper said that we were going 60 in a 55 zone, and issued my friend a ticket. The trooper told him that he could pay the ticket or contest it in court. He further said that the entire incident was being filmed and recorded, and that my friend's admission that he was going 60 MPH while passing the trucks would be played for the judge if he pled not guilty.

I realize that speeding is a violation of the law, and that the schedule of fines takes into account the costs of running the "criminal justice system". I have no problem with those who cause us to spend millions of dollars each year to operate the courts, jails, probation services, etc.  should be the ones who pay the costs of those expenditures.

But I think it's totally chickenshit to write someone for 5 miles over the limit. Especially when the limit is 55 MPH. If it were 5 over in a 25 mile zone, then maybe.... But not 5 over in a 55.

People bitch about the State Police here in Virginia, but at least those guys will give you 10 over and not even bat an eye.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
5 over is really, really petty. I'm sure he's playing on you being from out of state to simply pay the ticket. If you can, plead not guilty and take a hearing. You can't be found "more guilty" and you stand the chance of getting a lesser fine and/or the trooper not showing up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It was my buddy who got the ticket, and he's already mailed the check. I agree with you, though. He should have at least gone for the hearing. He lives in PA, by the way. We were in his Corvette, so maybe the trooper has a hard-on for Corvette drivers.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Odd. I blew an 84 in a 65 and the ticket was only $165.  Was it one of those "targeted enforcement areas" that doubles the fine?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow see drive a vette is BAD! I would fight it not only is he out money but now his insurance will go up! YES IT WILL, 5mph over the limit while passing is not breaking the law and to me you got the type of cop that we all love! I am sure that cop never drove over the speed limit in his life , and no way would I let that go. Shame if he drov3 a mini van all would be well!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure how it is in PA, but I've been through this in NJ. What matters more, points on your license or money, because when you go to court you may get the ticket downgraded, but you'll certainly be slapped with court fees that are more than the ticket. You should never admit guilt when pulled over, it can be used against you in court. You say something like, "I'm sorry officer/trooper, I didn't think I was exceeding the limit." You may get someone who would let you off if you admitted it and you seem sincere with your apology, but that seems more unlikely. It also helps if you make the stop as easy as possible for the officer/trooper. I wonder how the interaction between your friend and the trooper went. Was your friend arguing with him? It seems funny that the trooper mentioned the taping of the stop.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow see drive a vette is BAD! I would fight it not only is he out money but now his insurance will go up! YES IT WILL, 5mph over the limit while passing is not breaking the law and to me you got the type of cop that we all love! I am sure that cop never drove over the speed limit in his life , and no way would I let that go. Shame if he drov3 a mini van all would be well!
View Quote

5 over is a no points violation in PA, no points = non moving violation = no PennDOT report to your insurer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how it is in PA, but I've been through this in NJ. What matters more, points on your license or money, because when you go to court you may get the ticket downgraded, but you'll certainly be slapped with court fees that are more than the ticket. You should never admit guilt when pulled over, it can be used against you in court. You say something like, "I'm sorry officer/trooper, I didn't think I was exceeding the limit." You may get someone who would let you off if you admitted it and you seem sincere with your apology, but that seems more unlikely. It also helps if you make the stop as easy as possible for the officer/trooper. I wonder how the interaction between your friend and the trooper went. Was your friend arguing with him? It seems funny that the trooper mentioned the taping of the stop.
View Quote

due PA wire tap laws, we have to tell someone we contact on a stop/incident (within reason) that they are being audio/video recorded (if audio is active).
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
due PA wire tap laws, we have to tell someone we contact on a stop/incident (within reason) that they are being audio/video recorded (if audio is active).
View Quote

Huh, interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
UN-POSSIBLE

PA is a FREE STATE

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]

First off. NEVER admit to speeding.

First question they always ask is, Do you know how fast you were going?  People always say yeah about 5 over, when clearly they were going 15 over.... either way you just admitted guilt.

Secondly, Vascar allows for a 6 MPH variance and Radar allows 10MPH.

Cop got him on admission.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Cop was an ass hole for even bothering to pull your friend over for 5 over. I regularly do 70 in a 55 past NJSP and have never been pulled over.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First off. NEVER admit to speeding.

First question they always ask is, Do you know how fast you were going?  People always say yeah about 5 over, when clearly they were going 15 over.... either way you just admitted guilt.

Secondly, Vascar allows for a 6 MPH variance and Radar allows 10MPH.

Cop got him on admission.

View Quote

(c) MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC DEVICES AUTHORIZED. —
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the rate of speed of any vehicle may be timed on any highway by a police officer using a mechanical or electrical speed timing device.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (3), electronic devices such as radio-microwave devices (commonly referred to as electronic speed meters or radar) may be used only by members of the Pennsylvania State Police.
(3) Electronic devices which calculate speed by measuring elapsed time between measured road surface points by using two sensors and devices which measure and calculate the average speed of a vehicle between any two points may be used by any police officer.
(4) No person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraphs (2) and (3) unless the speed recorded is six or more miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. Furthermore, no person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) in an area where the legal speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour if the speed recorded is less than ten miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. This paragraph shall not apply to evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (2) or (3) within a school zone or an active work zone.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks for clearing that up Steve.

still somethings fishy with the 60 in a 55 story.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for clearing that up Steve.

still somethings fishy with the 60 in a 55 story.

View Quote

Agreed!

The last time I got a "60" (wink-wink) in a "55" was when I was blastin down the NJTP some 15 years ago doing around 74mph at 3am trying to beat a snowstorm coming.
I came clean from the beginning, cop liked my attitude, gave me "60" in a "55".
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing fishy about it at all. I was there. I saw it happen. I saw the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I might be wrong, but isn't it legal to exceed the speed limit while passing (which is what you were doing) in order to make it around a vehicle within the passing zone?

Some of the passing zones i've seen would require a superbike or a car with a lot of HPs to pass there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I might be wrong, but isn't it legal to exceed the speed limit while passing (which is what you were doing) in order to make it around a vehicle within the passing zone?

Some of the passing zones i've seen would require a superbike or a car with a lot of HPs to pass there.
View Quote

That question came up in my last Defensive Driver Course, the answer given was "no" you may not exceed the posted speed limit while passing another vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Most magistrates don't like to hear cases unless 7 or more over. To many variances. Should have requested a hearing and asked to view the troopers logs showing equipment was tuned.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cop was an ass hole for even bothering to pull your friend over for 5 over. I regularly do 70 in a 55 past NJSP and have never been pulled over.
View Quote

might have to agree with this....I usually wont stop until ~15 over...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]
In Philly, I've seen people go by staties 75+ in a 55 zone on I-95.  Hell, grandma's drive at least 65-70.  I've gone through numerous speed traps on the turnpike at 80 in a 65 zone.  I wonder sometimes what you do have to do to get pulled over in this state.

There must have been another reason.   Could you have been drinking?  Inspection/registration look out of order?  Tail light out?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Corvette and out of state plates.... Probably banking on you guys just paying the fine. I would've appealed it.

I see people pass troopers 10+ mph over the speed limit frequently and they rarely budge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
there is no Mountain between Gettysburg and Chambersburg on 30 WTF???
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Corvette and out of state plates.... Probably banking on you guys just paying the fine. I would've appealed it.

I see people pass troopers 10+ mph over the speed limit frequently and they rarely budge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
It was my buddy who got the ticket, and he's already mailed the check. I agree with you, though. He should have at least gone for the hearing. He lives in PA, by the way. We were in his Corvette, so maybe the trooper has a hard-on for Corvette drivers.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Usually the "5 over" is a break as it carries no points and is the least amount of fine for speeding, especially since the state raised an Obedience to traffic control devices citation to $170.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#25]
maybe he had a quota?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quotas are illegal in PA as per case law.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quotas are illegal in PA as per case law.
View Quote

Riiiiight.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top