Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2014 5:43:07 PM EDT
I'm active-duty AF stationed here in Pittsburgh (Air Force ROTC...trust me, wasn't my decision ).  Anyhow, was just looking for some "inside scoop" from any natives or people who've been here awhile.  Things like best places to backpack/hike/camp, recommended gun ranges and shops, things I need to look out for.  Gonna be here 3 years, so I figured I'd get the jump on things and get accustomed quickly!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on your area around the city, there's tons to do.  

North will get you cranberry area.   Dicks, Field and Stream (if their past actions don't eliminate them for you), John Brown's Armory, Moraine St Park/Lake Arthur, and a bunch more.

East is Monroeville/Greensburg/Latrobe.  Gander Mountain, Braverman Arms, Pitcairn-Monroeville Gun club, Steel City Guns is a home business that does $20 transfers, Anthony Arms is fun if you like to laugh and scoff at prices.   Prepper's Paradise is out in Latrobe as well.

South is Washington/Greene Counties.  More Gander Mountain, Cabelas (wheeling), Ace Sporting Goods (great shop imo), Ohiopyle in Fayette Co, etc.

West is the Airport area, Raccoon State Park (kayaking, canoe, electric motors only, camping, hiking, etc) and the mall at Robinson.  

Welcome to the area.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
2 hours North is Presque Isle State Park, just outside Erie. Beach is great in the summer, just make sure you visit before the snow flies in September (lol)  Fishing is great, some of the best in the country when the salmon are running .
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be flat out honest and say that this area can really suck when it comes to places to shoot.  

Some clubs that I think are actually worth joining would be:

Pitcairn Monroeville.  
pmsconline.com  (website seems to be down right now)
This is east of the city.  Not sure where you're going to be living.  It might be a real bitch to get to.  Probably one of the best clubs around the Pittsburgh area though.

Beaver Valley Rifle Pistol Club
bvrpc.org
I'll be joining this club this month.  I've taken two firearms classes here.  Nice facilities, training opportunities, rules seem to be practical.  
Cost of membership is a bit higher than what I'd prefer, but it is what it is.  

Coraopolis District Sportsmans Club
http://www.cdsc.us
Pretty sure a buddy of mine at work is a member here.  It seems alright, couldn't tell you much more, though.

A lot of clubs around Pittsburgh has waiting lists, or rules that would prevent me from ever consider joining.  IE: no drawing from a holster, limits on rounds in firearms on the ranges, etc...
Some more info is probably more easily found on pafoa.org

For gun shops.
I've found Ace in Washington PA to have good prices.  The guys behind the counter can be d bags at times.  They are a really high volume dealer, and have an impressive inventory.  Shouldn't have a problem finding a gun you're looking for at Ace.  
http://www.acesportinggoods.com/

I've bought a few from Federal Firearms in Oakdale.  The prices aren't as good as Ace, but they're good people to deal with.  
http://www.federalfirearms.net/

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you go to Primanti's.....its one of the few things I miss when I moved south!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm active-duty AF stationed here in Pittsburgh (Air Force ROTC...trust me, wasn't my decision ).  Anyhow, was just looking for some "inside scoop" from any natives or people who've been here awhile.  Things like best places to backpack/hike/camp, recommended gun ranges and shops, things I need to look out for.  Gonna be here 3 years, so I figured I'd get the jump on things and get accustomed quickly!

Thanks!
View Quote

The natives almost to a person blatantly roll stop signs, and will violate your right of way at intersections at any opportunity you give them.

If you are rear ended by one of them when you come to a full and complete stop behind an indicating sign or signaling devise, they will blame you for being a jag off.

You may also wear your dirty pajamas or gym attire to restaurants and feel no shame in doing so.

Spiting out chewing gum, hawking up and spitting out lungers and tossing cigarette butts on public walkways is also an accepted social custom

You may also feel free to crowd people or even fill the space between them (if they leave more than three feet open) at retail service counters.

Has your military service taken you to the Balkans yet? If so, then you will have experienced what respect for the rule of law and social customs can be like in Lowe Slobidonia (inner Allegheny County)
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I take it you're not a fan, huh?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Been there once.  To be honest, wasn't that impressed, but I also heard it gets better after your first time (I've heard that before ).  I'm from the South myself, so I miss everything there!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you go to Primanti's.....its one of the few things I miss when I moved south!
View Quote

Been there once.  To be honest, wasn't that impressed, but I also heard it gets better after your first time (I've heard that before ).  I'm from the South myself, so I miss everything there!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've eaten there a few of times; it doesn't get better. It is what it is.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

old school Primanti's had good tasting down and dirty food.  the dirty grill was the secret, now those pesky food service inspectors ruined it all.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
For outdoor related pursuits, head southeast to the Laurel Highlands. Really hard to beat Ohiopyle and the like. Lake Erie is a good time as well. Lots of good places to hike and backpack close in WV. Eat Primanti's only when hungover, it's nothing to brag about. Lots of better places around town to grab a bite to eat.

What part of the city are you living?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Best backpacking in the area is in the laurel highlands.  

Best camping is north of the city by as little as 2 hours, in the allegheny national forest.  Free primitive camping, can shoot at your campsite, and a beautiful area.

I'm assuming that you are west/saw of the city, and that puts you a little further from the allegheny national forest.  PM me if you would like some specific spots/sites/areas to camp in.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Listen here Jagoff,

There are worse places to be than pulling instructor duty at Det. 730.  You happen to be living in a city that is earning top honors in all sorts of online surveys, plus you can get your fill of shooting time in the surrounding area.

You'll soon see your workcenter, the Cathedral of Learning, is a pretty unique spot.

You've been given an excellent opportunity, I understand most folks do not want to spend time out of their primary AFSC until you are ready to retire or separate...but trust me, you'll have fun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Listen here Jagoff,

There are worse places to be than pulling instructor duty at Det. 730.  You happen to be living in a city that is earning top honors in all sorts of online surveys, plus you can get your fill of shooting time in the surrounding area.

You'll soon see your workcenter, the Cathedral of Learning, is a pretty unique spot.

You've been given an excellent opportunity, I understand most folks do not want to spend time out of their primary AFSC until you are ready to retire or separate...but trust me, you'll have fun.
View Quote

I see the natives are pleasant...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Eat and Drink here: http://www.churchbrew.com/

Eat here (drinking optional, but encouraged): http://meatandpotatoespgh.com/
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't be afraid to drive out to central PA in the areas around Centre County for hiking, camping and other outdoor activities.  If you like trout fishing its the place to go, pretty much year round.
Also good areas to the southeast around Ohiopyle.

Bees Guns near Saltsburg is a pretty good gun shop.  Inventory is not too bad, but his prices are very fair.  Ace in Washington has about the biggest selection but not always the best price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to throw a plug a bit further away for Lawrence county sportsman's association and beaver valley rifle and pistol club.

Don't know what side of town you're in but both put on great IDPA matches.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

PA is one of the best backpacking/hiking states in the NE. The crown jewel trails are north central, though, so a drive. Raccoon Creek state park isn't far away, and neither is the Laurel Mountain area (Linn Run, Quebec Run, Roaring Run).

If you join meetup.com, there are several very active hiking/backpacking/adventure groups in Pittsburgh. There's always something going on.

Welcome to the area.

Justin

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top