Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2011 12:19:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03]
Where can I find all the carry laws? Perferably ones that are easy to understand.  Thanks for the help guys.

www.usacarry.com
www.usacarry.com- Notes about other states
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf ---Scroll down to PA.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RenegadePhoenix:
Here ya go:

Where to/to not carry

more info

Thank you that was a huge help!
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
One thing I didn't see was is printing illegal? And what about if my pistol shows? Like my shirt rode up. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Open Carry is Legal in PA, we don't have any laws reguarding how concealed the gun must be. PERIOD!
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RenegadePhoenix:
Open Carry is Legal in PA, we don't have any laws reguarding how concealed the gun must be. PERIOD!

Thanks again for your help. I know this a stupid question but I was told a few years back that if you carry concealed and your gun shows it would be concederd brandishing. Is that completly false? Sorry I just want to make sure I get everything 100% correct.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Incidental exposure of your normally concealed weapon isn't prohibited
in Pennsylvania.  Unlike some states where exposing translates to
"brandishing", we have neither defined in PA that I know of.  From what I
understand (read: I'm not an attorney) rather than "brandishing" our
laws focus on threats of violence that involve removing the weapon from
the holster and/or waving it around.  You know, actual threats rather
than implied ones.

That's how county sheriffs and local PD explained it, anyway.  Again, not a legal eagle here so I may be oversimplifying things.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 9:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#8]
Not to hijack, but on the same thought....where can I find the specific info regarding carrying in State Parks. (I have the UFA and the part from the Commonwealth constitution on firearms....but I have yet to see anything regarding parks.)

ETA: I did see in the linked thread that you must conceal and possess a valid LTCF, however....I am looking for any literal literature.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nickds:
Not to hijack, but on the same thought....where can I find the specific info regarding carrying in State Parks. (I have the UFA and the part from the Commonwealth constitution on firearms....but I have yet to see anything regarding parks.)

ETA: I did see in the linked thread that you must conceal and possess a valid LTCF, however....I am looking for any literal literature.

Thanks

What is that? And where can I find it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Uniform Firearms Act. I have the document, but here is a link to one at PAFOA

UFA

PA Constitution
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
You learn something new everyday on here. I did not know this one. I had a experience like this. I was walking my Beagle on a leash, and a female pitbull ran out of a friends home and attacked my dog. I was able to get my beagle up out of range of the dog, and the dog is lucky it was a friend of mines as well as my dog wasnt injured or I would of shot her ass.  So now I know if some morons pit or other dog is attacking my dog while i am walking him.

Dog Attacks: It is legal to kill a dog that is pursuing or attacking a pet, a domesticated animal, or human. - Title 3, Chapter 8, Article V, Subsection 459-501. It is also legal to kill any dog that is chasing or attacking big game(turkey, bear, elk, deer) - Title 34, Chapter 23, Subchapter E, Section 2385
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I think something like this should be tacked. I found a lot of stuff I didn't know.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Information is empowerment.
Keep it flowing!
Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#14]
If any one has the state laws on carrying a fix blade it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
If any one has the state laws on carrying a fix blade it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

+1 I get a differnt answer each time I ask LE
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 9:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#16]
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
This site shows all the Firearm Reciprocity Agreements.
Sorry I can't hotlink with my phone.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Steve_in_PA:
There is no pre-emption for knifes, so any city/town/borough can make a law saying a knife with "X" blade length it illegal.

In other words, in City A, you might not get a second look. But go to City B, and you could be arrested.

Would there have to be a written law for said town or could the cop just arrest you for it?

ETA: How would one find out if a town had a law against a blade length?

Originally Posted By Steve_in_PA:
Yes the towns would have a written ordinance.

The only way you would know is to stop in each town and ask.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks

No need to conceal.  That information is 100% false.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#19]
Originally Posted By Justin3:

Thanks

Could you please provide some proof justin3?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#20]

Really?
ETA: PAFOA is pretty good about conferring accurate information,
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Really? No documentation? We are not talking about hunting either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:52:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ammunition] [#22]
Originally Posted By Justin3:

Thanks

Could you please provide some proof justin3?

I will do my best, but it is difficult to prove when you are allowed to do something.  Kind of like me asking you to prove that you are allowed to mow your lawn.  You are allowed to do it unless there is a specific statute making it illegal.

First avenue of proof can be found in the 2009 Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Education & Training Commission (MPOETC) Update, of which the relevant section can be found here

IX. UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT UPDATE:

“OPEN CARRY”

Question #1 - What is “open carry”?

Answer #1 - Open carry can be defined
as carrying a legal firearm, loaded or
unloaded, on your person unconcealed,
with or without a valid and lawfully
issued license to carry a firearm.

Question #2 - Is “open carry” legal in
Pennsylvania?

Answer #2 – Yes, but with several
exceptions: The Pennsylvania Uniform
Firearms Act is silent on the specific issue of
open carry. §6106 only prohibits carrying a
firearm in a vehicle or concealed on or about one’s person, except in the person’s
place of abode or fixed place of business, without a license and when no exemption
applies.

Second means of "proof"  can be found on the paopencarry.org site.  here

There is no stipulation in neither the PA code nor case law that a PA LTCF holder must carry concealed

Third, read through the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes("list of laws" in laymans terms)
If there isn't a statute prohibiting something, then it is "allowed"

I've never understood why anyone would ask someone to "prove that something is legal" ....  But I've done my best to do so.  I don't really care what any of you do or think about carrying weapons, or even what you believe to be right/wrong.  I'd just ask that you do not spread false information through the Pennsylvania gun owner community.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#23]
I was curious about the issue as it related to State Parks only.
Firearms regualtions are often a convoluted and confusing topic.
I am always happy to hear from someone else.

ETA: From two days of searching I have been unable to find any definitative info.
I will concede that I was mistaken. It is often difficult to find accurate information.
Thanks for your help in the process.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I was curious about the issue as it related to State Parks only.
Firearms regualtions are often a convoluted and confusing topic.
I am always happy to hear from someone else.

ETA: From two days of searching I have been unable to find any definitative info.
I will concede that I was mistaken. It is often difficult to find accurate information.
Thanks for your help in the process.

No problem.  I was a little irate as I've argued this same topic with a few people, both online on here, and IRL over the last week.  I'm glad to help to inform you.

As far as state parks go, that is one specific that I didn't touch.  You must conceal in state parks, and can only do so if you have a LTCF.  This info can be found in

18 Pa CSA 6109(m.2),
Inconsistent provisions.––Notwithstanding the provisions of section 7506 (relating to violation of rules regarding conduct on Commonwealth property), 75 Pa.C.S. § 7727 (relating to additional limitations on operation) or the act of June 28, 1995 (P.L. 89, No. 18), [FN3] known as the Conservation and Natural Resources Act, and regulations promulgated under that act, a firearm may be carried as provided in subsection (a) by:

(1) a law enforcement officer whose current identification as a law enforcement officer shall be construed as a valid license to carry a firearm; or

(2) any licensee.

And take specific notice above of the subsection (a) reference:
(a) Purpose of license.––A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

An excellent resource would be this thread.  specifically the first post.  It lists everything very accurately.  You'll find citations of most of the relevant statutes throughout the thread.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 7:43:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#25]
Nice. Exactly what I was saying originally.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah.  I read that post of yours as two separate items initially.  Once mentioning state parks, then the eta about needing to conceal.

didn't put it together that the ETA was about needing to conceal in state parks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#27]
It's ok. We are all here to learn.
Thank you for helping me find the actual info.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#28]
I got my permit in Crawford county and has the same info as my drivers license. My question is if I move to another county say Erie county and I update my drivers license do I need to do the same to carry permit?  How does that work?  Thanks guys

ETA: would I have to go to Erie county sheriffs office and reapply for a permit?
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 1:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ammunition] [#29]
I got my permit in Crawford county and has the same info as my drivers license. My question is if I move to another county say Erie county and I update my drivers license do I need to do the same to carry permit?  How does that work?  Thanks guys

ETA: would I have to go to Erie county sheriffs office and reapply for a permit?

You do not need to change/update anything on your LTCF.  Only requirement is that when you renew, it is done in the county in which you reside.

If you want to get an updated ltcf with new address, some counties will do it for you, but there is no requirement to do so.

ETA: some counties send a renewal notice prior to your ltcf expiring.  If you want, you can notify Crawford of your address change so that they don't send it to your old address.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a question about the process of getting a concealed carry permit.  I live within northampton county and the application says this B. PROOF OF RESIDENCY: (voter’s registration card, current-year paid per capita tax receipt OR earned income tax form from your local municipality).
ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER FORMS OF PROOF ARE ACCEPTED

Im probably going to sound stupid here but what are those forms of ID.  Would a W-2 form suffice?  Im confused on this part.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By commandowink:
I have a question about the process of getting a concealed carry permit.  I live within northampton county and the application says this B. PROOF OF RESIDENCY: (voter’s registration card, current-year paid per capita tax receipt OR earned income tax form from your local municipality).
ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER FORMS OF PROOF ARE ACCEPTED

Im probably going to sound stupid here but what are those forms of ID.  Would a W-2 form suffice?  Im confused on this part.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks.

Northhampton county is breaking the law.  They should be held accountable, but they aren't, and the county council has apparently been informed of this rights violation, and refuses to change it.  It's too bad that someone with some money, or the NRA wont go to court over it, and get the violators punished in some way.

From 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (c)

* The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
   * The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section.
   * Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.

It seems that if you want your LTCF in Northhampton, you have no choice but to submit to their unconstitutional and illegal demands.  

Anyhow, are you not registered to vote?  I'm going to sound a little preachy here, but you really should be. I believe that the Voter Registration office is right accross the street from the sherrif's, so you could just stop in there on your way to apply or pick up your LTCF.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I am registered to vote but have never received a voter card.  And that is the route Im going to get this done is the voter registration card (which you only need a drivers license to get, so its just a tad redundant).  

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is Northampton county doing differently then all the other counties in the Commonwealth?  I would like to become educated on this so when I go in to fill out the paper work I can ask a question about it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 11:49:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#34]
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#35]
PAFOA has a lot of info, but also has "Thread / Post Police". It's like being in grade school, very easy to be Issued a Warning, if they don't like what you post, or how you word your post. Banned or threats of being so are rampant. The site has a big OC Membership, handing out pamphlets, recording conversations with Police, etc. Again, a lot of info there, but it's nothing like ARFCOM. While I have nothing against OC, it has a place.

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#36]
A concealed question> if pulled over by the police, do you have to inform the officer you are carrying?
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RWC57:
A concealed question> if pulled over by the police, do you have to inform the officer you are carrying?

You are not required to. But some say it a good idea to hand them your carry license with your drivers license.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#38]
What about a non-resident license?  I'm interested in obtaining one and I'm not seeing anything specifically about it on the Attorney General's website or on some of the county Sheriff's websites.  Allegheny County says you need a valid PA driver's license or ID card.  Clearly I do not have that.  Do I send in the application as if I were a PA resident, or is there a different procedure?
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I believe that all non-resident applications must now be done in person.
If you call the specific sheriff office in that county I am betting they will tell you what you need to do.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey guys, I just bought a house in Long Pond, PA, its in Monroe county. I'm moving there from NY, I cant wait to leave either, I hate this liberal commie sinkhole...lol. I have a few questions about gun ownership. I have many rifles and shotguns, as well as a few handguns. I also have a non resident PA carry license.

First question, how do I legally register my handguns in PA? Also, when would I be able to ccw or open carry, right after they're registered? Are there any laws against mag capacity? NY its 10rds, unless you have a preban mag.

As far as rifles, the AR15 platform, any law for bbl length or overall rifle length? How about some of the NY "evil features," no telescoping stock, no flash hider, and no mags over 10rds unless preban?

How about full autos? I have an m1919a4 thats only semi auto, I'd like to see if I could make it full auto, all legal of course. Whats the process?

I hate to bombard you guys with so many questions, but I just want to stay with the law. Of course I'm going to do my own research, I just thought I could maybe get a quick rundown.

Thanks guys,
BTW, if anybody is in my area, are there any gun clubs around?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#41]
Originally Posted By 4thsnooper:
Hey guys, I just bought a house in Long Pond, PA, its in Monroe county. I'm moving there from NY, I cant wait to leave either, I hate this liberal commie sinkhole...lol. I have a few questions about gun ownership. I have many rifles and shotguns, as well as a few handguns. I also have a non resident PA carry license.

First question, how do I legally register my handguns in PA? Also, when would I be able to ccw or open carry, right after they're registered? Are there any laws against mag capacity? NY its 10rds, unless you have a preban mag.
You don't have to register pistols to carry them and no limit on mag capacity.As far as rifles, the AR15 platform, any law for bbl length or overall rifle length? How about some of the NY "evil features," no telescoping stock, no flash hider, and no mags over 10rds unless preban?
Rifles have to be 16" barrel length and you can have all the features you want and again no mag restrictions.How about full autos? I have an m1919a4 that's only semi auto, I'd like to see if I could make it full auto, all legal of course. What's the process?
Go to the armory section and look under NFA/Class 3 section.  Its all stated there.I hate to bombard you guys with so many questions, but I just want to stay with the law. Of course I'm going to do my own research, I just thought I could maybe get a quick rundown.
For all PA carry laws read all of this thread and the link on the first page.Thanks guys,
BTW, if anybody is in my area, are there any gun clubs around?

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks D

anyone know about making my handguns legal in PA?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks D

anyone know about making my handguns legal in PA?

As far as I know you don't have to do anything.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#44]
But dont I have to get a PA license
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#45]
But dont I have to get a PA license

To own a gun?  No such thing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 2:02:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#46]
But don't I have to get a PA license

Like was already point out, no registration here and no, you don't have to have a license. You can open carry ON FOOT without a license in PA. In order to conceal carry, or carry in your car without unloading and separating, you need a license to carry firearms. They are easy to obtain once you establish residency. But you do not need a license to own or buy firearms. Welcome to firearm freedom my man. I know it must be strange for you to accept the lack of rules and regulations after what you've lived under, but that will make it feel all the more refreshing once you are living here. :) So again, congrats and welcome!

If you haven't found PAFOA yet, it is PA's main guns forum. Check it out. There are lots of good links there including all the applicable laws you are worried about and things you should know. Like any gun forum, it has its share of know it alls and buttholes but if you steer clear of the drama, it is a pretty good site for PA info. I would link them here, but I am not quite sure the rules or etiquette involved with linking to another gun forum. You can PM if you can't find them on your own.

Justin
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Can you conceal carry a pistol that is in someone else's name?  More specific can my brother carry my pistol?  I'm sure the answer is no but want the facts.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#48]
You can borrow anyones pistol if you have your LTCF ( ccw).
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm new to ccw and was going to Philly this weekend. Somebody told me I cannot conceal carry in city limits. Is this true? I know I cant in courts and certain federal buildings. But the city limits rule I was unaware of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#50]
It's a rumor. Only the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania can pass laws regarding carry of concealed weapons.
Our Uniform Firearms Act is a good tool to have.
When in doubt, call the PA Atty. Gen.'s office or the PSP.
Philly tries, every now and then, to pass their own unlawful regulations.
If you have a valid PA LTCF (or from a state that we recognize), you CAN carry a concealed weapon within the city limits. It is in PA.
If I am wrong, well....I will....buy the person that corrects me a year membership. (That is I am wrong that 1320 yd sniper can carry in Philly with a PA LTCF or one from a state that we recognize.)
-I have heard people have issue with open carry. Just throwing that out there.-
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top