Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 2:38:17 PM EDT
Anyone using T-Mobile as their cell carrier here?

I am thinking about switching (from Sprint) but I've heard mixed reviews of their coverage here. .

So, how is it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm gonna start a shit storm here but IMO Verizon is the way to go for coverage statewide.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have T mobile and the service is good throughout the whole valley. How ever I get NO bars when I go up to shoot in the foot hills of the Bradshaws  on the road to Crown King . My plan is grandfathered and totally unlimited so Verizon ( the gold standard )  would cost me nearly twice as much , so I stick with T Mobile .
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have T mobile and the service is good throughout the whole valley. How ever I get NO bars when I go up to shoot in the foot hills of the Bradshaws  on the road to Crown King . My plan is grandfathered and totally unlimited so Verizon ( the gold standard )  would cost me nearly twice as much , so I stick with T Mobile .
View Quote
i have the same unlimited plan too.

4 lines for $100 unlimited which came out like 5years ago. totally unlimited none of that slowdown crap.

thats the only reason i dont change.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
ATT is the best overall coverage in the valley. Verizon is the best all around coverage between the valley and a lot of the more popular rural areas outside the valley.

Based on my dad's experiences with T-Mobile in the valley, I'd personally avoid them. Though, that said, they are definitely more affordable than ATT or Verizon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have T-Mobile, I now gladly pay for Verizon. It's amazing just how bad T-Mobile coverage is.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no problems with T Mobile in the valley.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I had TMobile for almost 14 years living in another state, great in and around immediate city limits.  Once I moved here and when traveling through in the past, once you get out like most others have said, you are at the mercy of roaming providers spotty service or none at all.  Verizon is your best bet, have you checked with your employer for possible discount offers if they partner with any cell providers?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.

I'll just stick with Sprint.  I actually don't have a problem with coverage, just more their customer service.

Verizon just costs too much and I HATE AT&T so....  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it for work. Gil's county not a chance for any data and limited cell. Pima, Kinda hit or miss. Pinal good in the cities outside of that not great. Maricopa it's good but there are dead spots and inside certain building it's not great. Coconino it's okay in the city but it's slow. Overall it's okay but it great and some areas it's not a option.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
VZW is the only way to go.
Sprint and T mobile both have a VERY aggressive build schedule going on right now, so maybe one day they may have decent coverage in this market.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Back when Qwest Cellular was run by Sprint, I'd have 3,4 drops out on my regular route.

When I switched to Verizon, I can't use the "Cell service must have dropped your call" excuse near as often as I used to.

But that's been a few years. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Switched from ATT to Verizon a couple years ago. Better coverage and quality.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Verizon has the best coverage in the valley and state, especially rural areas.  Family and friends with ATT, Sprint and TMobile all have issues with cell coverage when I never do in the same exact location.  That includes here in the valley and while out traveling or camping.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Frankly, a Google search also renders the answer to this topic pretty cut and dry. ATT does in fact have the best coverage IN the valley. To the point that Verizon even rents some of ATT's cell towers here to compete. That said, every article and study done on this topic does point out that ATT and Verizon both top the list, so at least you could argue you can't really go wrong with either.

It's just going to depend on where you live. My buddy that lives around Scottsdale and Shea recently had to switch his entire 3 line family plan from Verizon to ATT. They could hardly get service in their house with Verizon. There are going to be horror stories with every carrier depending on location, phone, etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Frankly, a Google search also renders the answer to this topic pretty cut and dry. ATT does in fact have the best coverage IN the valley. To the point that Verizon even rents some of ATT's cell towers here to compete. That said, every article and study done on this topic does point out that ATT and Verizon both top the list, so at least you could argue you can't really go wrong with either.

It's just going to depend on where you live. My buddy that lives around Scottsdale and Shea recently had to switch his entire 3 line family plan from Verizon to ATT. They could hardly get service in their house with Verizon. There are going to be horror stories with every carrier depending on location, phone, etc.
View Quote
Yeah because those maps put out by the carriers are super accurate without any bias.

Just read the posts in this thread and talk to people, I don't care what the marketing department at ATT says, Verizon gets better reception nearly everywhere regardless of the maps they put out.  Its why they are the most expensive and they know it.  The others just compete on cost, its why every marketing campaign they put out is why they are better then Verizon.

But I agree there may be pockets where this isn't true but overall you will find far more people who have fewer issues with the Verizon network then anyone else.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol. I'm not quoting anything that ATT claims, or has ever claimed. Again, you can Google search the subject if you'd like. The recent articles that pop up relating to best cell coverage in the Phoenix/valley area are from independent local tests, surveys, etc, etc, etc, done over the years...all from different third party sources. The correlation in essentially every article you find is that they all for the most part say both ATT and Verizon are the best in the valley, or ATT is the best in the valley. I don't see any articles saying Verizon, or go home. Maybe you can be the first to publish that opinion piece, though.

You'll also find that Verizon does in fact lease towers from ATT in the valley, as well. And, not the other way around. I call that, a clue...

I have a lot of local tech industry buddies, as well. To call some of them even just tech geeks wouldn't do them justice. Anyways, all of them have either stuck with or switched to ATT over the years because they "want the fastest network available" in their market. They say there isn't a debate in that regard. So, I dunno what to tell ya.

And, I love me some Verizon. I'm just making sure the right info is being spread. I'm even about to start looking into getting a Verizon pay as you go phone for when I'm up north. I hate my ATT coverage up there. Verizon is much better in rural AZ, I fully agree. I just happen to spend 99 percent of my time in the valley right now, unfortunately. And, just because even T-Mobile may be the best coverage for Billy Bob in Surprise, it doesn't mean that T-Mobile is the best overall provider. This is about generally speaking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
And, FWIW, similar things can be said about ATT's now sister company, DIRECTV. They have the best "network." From a tech standpoint, they win. That said, their CS became utter shit after ATT acquired them, and they became less willing to deal. So, my decade plus DIRECTV service was recently cancelled to bundle my forever had Cox internet with their TV service. I get the same channels now with Cox, and pay $100 plus less a month now. I'm not going to claim Cox cable is superior to DIRECTV, though. I know otherwise.

If I ever had to deal with ATT's CS, maybe I'd reconsider my cell provider as well. But, fortunately, it's been flawless in town for the now 11 years I've had it. And I never have to deal with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top