Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
Currently have a Rheem system.  I think Ruud is also made by Rheem.

This one has a goofy zig-zag heat exchange setup instead of an A-Frame.  According to what I have found on the internet that appears to be their signature configuration.  It also has a reputation of icing over more than a traditional set up.

And this one seems to ice up whenever it gets humid, even with new filters and professional cleaning.

It's 18 years old, so replacing it is not unreasonable to do.

Does anyone know if Rheem/Ruud still builds them this way, or should I just avoid that brand?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If I had an evaporator that was freezing up I would check for low charge. R22 has a freezing pressure of 56 psi , I would make sure I had a suction pressure of 65-68 psi so icing is not possible.

As far as new units go I would avoid all the 16 seer units with variable speed fans ,etc. They cost so much the payback just isn't there and the techs don't understand how to fix them. The first repair will wipe out any energy saving you had been hoping for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as new units go I would avoid all the 16 seer units with variable speed fans ,etc. .
View Quote
Yeah I have done the math, higher SEER never pays for itself.

Paying someone to insulate the daylights out of my attic on the other hand...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah I have done the math, higher SEER never pays for itself.

Paying someone to insulate the daylights out of my attic on the other hand...
View Quote
From what iv heard on "Rosie on the House",the attic has very little  to do with ur overall cooling.  Not sure i really belive that tho...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

From what iv heard on "Rosie on the House",the attic has very little  to do with ur overall cooling.  Not sure i really belive that tho...
View Quote
The house doesn't heat itself.  You get thermal transfer through the walls when the sun beats down on them, and thermal transfer through the ceiling as the sun heats up your attic.  When it's 130-150 in your attic, that heat has to go somewhere.

Now it may be true that you get more transferred through your walls, but there is not much I can do about that other than paint the house a lighter color.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top