Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2017 11:08:06 PM EDT
Man, anyone else think they are more this year?

I have found 3 outside in the last few days.. two of them last night... and it really has been a non issue since 2010.

Not even a lot of other bugs to justify how many ive seen this year.  Wondering if one of my neighbors back yard is the issue.

Demon WP shield went up last night around the perimeter of the house and yard.

Just a lil' guy... before I splattered him all over the wall.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
We did have more than average rainfall earlier in the year. That being said, I saw a couple last year, but I've yet to see one this year (north end of the Valley). If yer neighbor has a shit pile in the yard, that would be my guess.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Man, anyone else think they are more this year? .......

View Quote

They showed up a little earlier this year, but the total amount is about the same at our place.
We are at the edge of Tonto National Forest so I kill on average 18 every weekend.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen one around my house up here in Prescott yet - and I don't spray.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I am killing two a night on average.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The house two doors down put in a pool this year.  Holy shit they're everywhere now.  

I nuked the hell out of the property with Cyper, but my son still got tagged by one in his bedroom.  

Having experienced getting tagged by both a scorpion and a widow since moving here 6 years ago, I'll take the scorpion sting every time.  The widow bite fucked all of me up pretty bad for a few days.   
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't found one yet this year usually find five or six per summer but I nuked the yard with WP this year.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
What does a scorpion sting feel like?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Is anyone near you doing landscaping or building?  Stir up the dirt and they move around.  I remember killing about 30 one year in Cave Creek when they were still building around my house.

Now - almost never see them.  If the cats find them they are dead.  If not - we do and they are dead.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the scorpion species. I've been hit about a dozen times now.

I'll preface this that I'd rather be stung by a scorpion 10 times than once by a bee.

Scorpions in general feel like a hot needle, and non-bark scorpions will leave a hot, tender welt that throbs a little but fades.

Bark scorpions are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Same hot needle, but then the area will feel tingly. Then it'll feel like a thousand hot needles all over the area.
Then, depending on how bad he got you, you get the eye shakes. You literally lose control over your eyes, they just
move wherever and you're along for the ride, that can be nauseating. Also depending on how bad you got stung
and where you got stung, you may flat out lose feeling in the area. One of the times my foot got stung I lost all feeling
from the ankle and below for about six weeks, and ended up having to wear a shoe on that foot when I was awake
because I kept damaging my foot more slamming it into shit.

I've only found one inside this year, and have gone out with a high powered UV flashlight twice a week for the past
month and found nothing outside the house. This is actually a very light year for them at my place.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Fun watching the cats play with them.  I've no idea why the cats don't get stung as they make little effort to avoid the stinger and the scorpions don't really try to sting them.  Maybe they can't get through the fur.

Usually the youngest cat (and biggest) plays with it while the other 4 cats watch and get a vicarious thrill I guess.  If I see it happening I usually step in and end it early.  cats doesn't seem thrilled I broke their toy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife got nailed on the hand last year. Ended up going to the emergency room and dropping a few thousand dollars. Little asshole really did a number...
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Bout the same.  If I go hunt them around the house after 9pm I'll get no less than 3. Guy next store put in a pool and the population didn't change thank god. Ether and a bic does them in pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have a block wall in your backyard make sure you spray and or dust in between the voids.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Last summer we moved to an area north of town. At first we had no issues but a few months later the land south of us started getting cleared for development. We started seeing scorpions all over. A guy at work said to try some stuff at bug and weed mart. So far it seems to work, it better because it isn't cheap. We used to go out every night and look for them, torch works great. So far this summer we haven't heard any crickets but have seen a few scorpions.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fun watching the cats play with them.  I've no idea why the cats don't get stung as they make little effort to avoid the stinger and the scorpions don't really try to sting them.  Maybe they can't get through the fur.

Usually the youngest cat (and biggest) plays with it while the other 4 cats watch and get a vicarious thrill I guess.  If I see it happening I usually step in and end it early.  cats doesn't seem thrilled I broke their toy.
View Quote
Cats are not immune to scorpion stings, nor are they safe from a sting.  My cat, albeit older, was stung by one last year and it clearly bothered my cat.  She was licking her paw a lot and looking around like she had visual issues.  They can also have an allergic reaction.  I'd be cognizant of this moving forward.

It's also a myth that size determines the potency of their venom.  Larger barks are just as venomous as tiny ones.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cats are not immune to scorpion stings, nor are they safe from a sting.  My cat, albeit older, was stung by one last year and it clearly bothered my cat.  She was licking her paw a lot and looking around like she had visual issues.  They can also have an allergic reaction.  I'd be cognizant of this moving forward.

It's also a myth that size determines the potency of their venom.  Larger barks are just as venomous as tiny ones.
View Quote
Baffles me why they don't get stung.  I usually only find body parts so I know they are here.  One time I saw my fat old tabby cat laying o the floor with a scorpion about 6 inches away.  When she looked up at me (purring to beat the band) el scorpion tried a tactical retreat.  Without really looking at it she just reached out and laid a paw on it to prevent further escape.

I know living here they come in.  And I know cats can't be trained so - it is what it is.  I hope none are ever hurt.  And I hate scorpions so if they are killing them - great.

BTW, I once found a really large hairy scorpion and until I looked it up was very leery of it.  It was a giant hairy desert scorpion.  Aptly named.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got tagged in the foot as a kid.  I'm not sure what kind it was but the initial feeling was a piercing pain.  It didn't take long for my foot and leg to go pretty numb and feel kind of like it was asleep.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Baffles me why they don't get stung.  I usually only find body parts so I know they are here.  One time I saw my fat old tabby cat laying o the floor with a scorpion about 6 inches away.  When she looked up at me (purring to beat the band) el scorpion tried a tactical retreat.  Without really looking at it she just reached out and laid a paw on it to prevent further escape.

I know living here they come in.  And I know cats can't be trained so - it is what it is.  I hope none are ever hurt.  And I hate scorpions so if they are killing them - great.

BTW, I once found a really large hairy scorpion and until I looked it up was very leery of it.  It was a giant hairy desert scorpion.  Aptly named.  
View Quote
Well it may not appear as though they are stung, but unless they present with behavior or symptoms, you won't know.  My cat continued to chase this thing as it kept trying to escape.  Knowing they can harm cats, I removed her from the situation quickly so I could kill the damn thing.  Once I isolated her to the kitchen and removed the interest was when I noticed her licking her leg and looking around all spacey.  It was subtle.  Had I not seen the situation play out the way it did, I'd have likely never known.  Perhaps your has been stung a couple times and doesn't care.  But they can develop an allergy after repeated stings, so be aware.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got tagged in the foot as a kid.  I'm not sure what kind it was but the initial feeling was a piercing pain.  It didn't take long for my foot and leg to go pretty numb and feel kind of like it was asleep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was stung on the top of my foot.

I felt it happen then smashed the asshole.

Bark scorpion.

My foot went numb then started to burn. Hot and shock. ( asleep foot waking up feeling)

Fever followed. Felt like a hangover. I probably had one.

My foot hurt for about 3-4 days. Felt like it was smacked with a hammer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well it may not appear as though they are stung, but unless they present with behavior or symptoms, you won't know.  My cat continued to chase this thing as it kept trying to escape.  Knowing they can harm cats, I removed her from the situation quickly so I could kill the damn thing.  Once I isolated her to the kitchen and removed the interest was when I noticed her licking her leg and looking around all spacey.  It was subtle.  Had I not seen the situation play out the way it did, I'd have likely never known.  Perhaps your has been stung a couple times and doesn't care.  But they can develop an allergy after repeated stings, so be aware.
View Quote
Interesting.  I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.  100% sure there is at least one scorpion in my house at any given time.  Can't find and kill them all.  And with 5 cats if it comes out he WILL be spotted and the chase is on.  Of course in the middle of the night when I'm asleep.

If I see them I kill them.  No questions.  If I see a tarantula I will rescue it and set it free outside.  Pretty much any other insect is a toy for the cats.  

Saw them corner and catch a praying mantis once.  Poor thing.  Had no chance.  Sure am glad there are no 2000 pound cats roaming free.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#21]
And wife unit found a scorpion 2 minutes ago.  Youngest cat was stalking it but lost it.  Wife found it hiding under the swifter.  

I have a feeling this happens a lot more than we know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm right down the street from. You freeride still haven't seen one been in this house about 7-8 years. Look around at night with blacklights haven't seen one inside or outside either.  Must be lucky
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Depends on the scorpion species. I've been hit about a dozen times now.

I'll preface this that I'd rather be stung by a scorpion 10 times than once by a bee.

Scorpions in general feel like a hot needle, and non-bark scorpions will leave a hot, tender welt that throbs a little but fades.

Bark scorpions are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Same hot needle, but then the area will feel tingly. Then it'll feel like a thousand hot needles all over the area.
Then, depending on how bad he got you, you get the eye shakes. You literally lose control over your eyes, they just
move wherever and you're along for the ride, that can be nauseating. Also depending on how bad you got stung
and where you got stung, you may flat out lose feeling in the area. One of the times my foot got stung I lost all feeling
from the ankle and below for about six weeks, and ended up having to wear a shoe on that foot when I was awake
because I kept damaging my foot more slamming it into shit.

I've only found one inside this year, and have gone out with a high powered UV flashlight twice a week for the past
month and found nothing outside the house. This is actually a very light year for them at my place.
View Quote
I wonder if people are affected differently? I rolled over onto a bark scorpion in bed the other night. He stung me four times just below my arm pit.  It hurt like hell for a bit, but I was back asleep in 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I've lived in N Phx since 1992 and I've never seen one in any of my houses.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Funny how some neighborhoods have them and others don't.

When I moved in to my house 13 years ago the first several nights I patrolled the house with a black light to look for scorpions. All I found was some really disturbing stains in the carpet that can't be seen in the day light.

I have never once seen a scorpion in my house or yard, but a friend that lives about a quarter mile straight east of me could go out nightly and bag a dozen if he wanted to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've lived in N Phx since 1992 and I've never seen one in any of my houses.
View Quote
Just depends on where you live.  I've lived here all my life, 1972 onward.  I have lived in a least 50 places.  I have only lived in three that had them.  One place directly across the Greek church on Maryland (town home), a new home with a former GF off Happy Valley and 55th ave (expected) and now off Carefree Highway and I-17.  I hope I can move soon.  This place is overrun with centipedes, scorpions, and other shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Demon WP here as well, two bags per gallon minimum.

Got stung for the first time in my life last year, hurt more than the fire pits of hades for about 2 seconds, then iced it and never had any issues (knock on wood)
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to use Demon WP until I found this other stuff called Transport GHP. It's a much better residual than Demon and lasts for 3 months. When I go out after dark hunting them (which I don't need to do if I've sprayed recently) I use a propane torch and a UV flashlight. The torch works well because it burns any babies they may be carrying as well. Propane burns clean so it doesn't leave soot on block walls. I just keep the torch turned down low until I see one, then crank it up and zap them
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I used to use Demon WP until I found this other stuff called Transport GHP. It's a much better residual than Demon and lasts for 3 months. When I go out after dark hunting them (which I don't need to do if I've sprayed recently) I use a propane torch and a UV flashlight. The torch works well because it burns any babies they may be carrying as well. Propane burns clean so it doesn't leave soot on block walls. I just keep the torch turned down low until I see one, then crank it up and zap them
View Quote
Did you say torch!!!??
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, that's hardcore!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
What kind of torch is that (brand etc)?  Given what I spend on weed spray, I think a torch would save me money in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#32]
ive lived here in arizona for 7 years.. and first time i saw a scorpian was yesterday in my house. oddly enough he was in a bowl that happened to be on coffee table in the living room. assuming he fell from the roof. probably came out the hvac
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#33]
damnit another one last night. and he was under the dog enclosure cage thing we have in the house to put him when he cant be running around and shit
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, I just sprayed the inside of our huge house as we've had 3 in the past 3 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top