Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 6:14:34 AM EDT
Binary targets, they say...

A man target shooting on state land Sunday morning started the Sawmill Fire that had burned 22,000 acres by Tuesday night, according to several sources who spoke with the Green Valley News/Sahuarita Sun.

The man was firing at exploding targets when brush apparently ignited near Box Canyon and the Santa Rita Ranch about 11 a.m. He tried to put out the blaze, then called to report it. He later turned himself in, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

John Cambra, a public information officer with the Southeast Arizona Incident Management Team, the team fighting the fire, would not confirm the reports.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen reports they are warning residents of Benson to be ready for evacuations.
That means Sierra Vista, Bisbee, and Wilcox aren't too far behind, In my not so informed opinion. Ok, so that's a tad premature. But...better to prep now, and not need it. Just saying...
Everybody stay safe!

Inciweb map
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course it couldn't be the Thousands of illegals that cross through there that caused it...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Inciweb now say 40K acres burned. Head directly east, towards Karchner Caverns.
Well, until it hits the mountain range, there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What fucking moron would use Tannerite in a dry brush area with high winds?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Same ones that don't clean up after themselves.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen reports they are warning residents of Benson to be ready for evacuations.
That means Sierra Vista, Bisbee, and Wilcox aren't too far behind, In my not so informed opinion. Ok, so that's a tad premature. But...better to prep now, and not need it. Just saying...
Everybody stay safe!

Inciweb map
View Quote
That's really premature.

Is it a bad idea to keep something prepared for an evac contingency all the time? Absolutely not.

It's going to be intense through Saturday though, forecast is not particularly friendly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The winds the last couple of days have not been helping.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A link to a pretty good map.

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/31.8829/-110.5424/11
View Quote
It looks like my new bass pond is gonna get burned up before they get this thing put out.

What a bummer; there is a lot of pretty country down that way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I am currently building my new house in Rain Valley. I am very lucky that all we have is the foundation work done and framing hasn't started yet.  I went up there Wed. at lunch to move my flatbed trailer and a few other things into the graded, dirt area to ensure it wouldn't get burned up.  While I was there I observed the wall of smoke to the west and north, approximately 2-3 miles away, as well as about 20 aerial drops in an hour's time.

While the fire has covered a very large area and is quite the disruption, most of it has just been burning grass that will turn green again within a month.  Very little if anything is truly destroyed at this point.  It will suck if the fire turns south into my neighbors' houses or if it makes it into the forested parts of the Whetstone Mountains (most likely).
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Off duty BP caused according to FOX 10
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have never see Tannerite by itself catch anything on fire.  even the milk jug of gas next to it...

now tracers on the other hand....
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The wind has been brutal and it is only going to get worse. I went camping in Sonoita about 3 weeks ago and it was dry as a bone. They were forest service going around to all the camps warning of fire danger and to be extra vigilant. That place is so dry that it is just almost impossible to get control of.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The wind has been brutal and it is only going to get worse. I went camping in Sonoita about 3 weeks ago and it was dry as a bone. They were forest service going around to all the camps warning of fire danger and to be extra vigilant. That place is so dry that it is just almost impossible to get control of.
View Quote
If your family needs another vehicle to put stuff in to Evacuate we can stuff a lot in my Tahoe.  I also bought some MREs at the commissary yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
89% contained. 46991 acres burned. 50 firefighters still on it.
Looks like it could have been much worse, if the winds had driven it over the Whetstones.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i have never see Tannerite by itself catch anything on fire.  even the milk jug of gas next to it...

now tracers on the other hand....
View Quote
My first guess was tracers, but it depends on the type of 'exploding target' used. Propane tanks work as exploding targets, technically, and produce a big 'wet' fireball if ignited when full.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top