Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 7:35:54 PM EDT
I currently live in WA state(the next CA), and have been really looking at getting the hell out of here. So far I have only looked at some craigslist ads, but wondering if we have any machinists in the area? I have 6+ years now in the aerospace machining field. I looked about 2-3 years ago, and it seems like there are more openings than before, but wondering if anyone who is actually working in the field there has any insight. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
We've got a member here who works that field.

I'm sure he will pop up in here eventually. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I sell CNC machines here. What would you like to know?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
CNCs, Manuals, lathe, mill.  If CNC what controls have you used?  Any cad/cam knowledge? Solid works, Autocad, or ProE. If you know any more than 1 of those skills you are way over qualified for the button pushing jobs my company is hiring for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CNCs, Manuals, lathe, mill.  If CNC what controls have you used?  Any cad/cam knowledge? Solid works, Autocad, or ProE. If you know any more than 1 of those skills you are way over qualified for the button pushing jobs my company is hiring for.
6 years 3/4 axis vertical, and Horizontal mills. Okuma, Makino/fanuc, and Fadal/Fanuc controls. 5 years setting up/first article inspections.  I have been a lead for about 1 1/2 years now in our horizontal Dept. Not much programming experience yet. I am currently taking some of the Mastercam U courses online. It is hard to get programming experience, when you have none. I am just kinda trying to get a feel for the salary range in the area. I have been looking at Craigslist, and what not, but it is hard to get a feel from them. i know it is a loaded question, but just looking to get an idea. I lived in AZ for about 4 1/2 years 2001-2005, and would love to go back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, this I can tell you, there is a shortage here of good machinists and if you are any good, and a good employee, you can almost write your own ticket. You don't have to be a master machinist yet. Just be a master of what you know. Don't oversell yourself, but don't undersell yourself either. Shop owners here are tired of the guys that demand a high wage and then get on the floor and can't do shit, or they do it poorly.

Expect to start at $15-$18 per hour with minimal experience. $18-$25 for good experience. $25+ if you are a rockstar.

And, it is a lot less expensive to live here than in Washington, excluding eastern of course.

My youngest brother works at a large company in Everett, not Boeing, that treat their employees like gold if they are worth their salt.

Maybe you just need a better place to work?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, this I can tell you, there is a shortage here of good machinists and if you are any good, and a good employee, you can almost write your own ticket. You don't have to be a master machinist yet. Just be a master of what you know. Don't oversell yourself, but don't undersell yourself either. Shop owners here are tired of the guys that demand a high wage and then get on the floor and can't do shit, or they do it poorly.

Expect to start at $15-$18 per hour with minimal experience. $18-$25 for good experience. $25+ if you are a rockstar.

And, it is a lot less expensive to live here than in Washington, excluding eastern of course.

My youngest brother works at a large company in Everett, not Boeing, that treat their employees like gold if they are worth their salt.

Maybe you just need a better place to work?
View Quote
It's not that I hate my current employer. I quite like the place in fact(only reason I think I am still up here actually), I just really am starting to hate the area. The non-stop attempts at 2A rights, and I miss the sun have gotten to me. I am currently at the top of your "good experience" wage. I always like to get more money, but making the same as I do now would be just fine. Especially like you say. The cost of living is a lot less down there. Thanks for the input my friend. It is greatly appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top