Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 11:57:18 PM EDT
Anyone want to tutor a newb? Picked up a couple cheap HT units, and want to learn the basics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard the podcasts, they helped cement my decision to go this direction.

The recent death of a friend in a remote area with extremely limited communications, has had me looking into alternative communication options. I was leaning towards satellite locator beacons, but was made acutely aware of their limited ability to relay critical  information. Sounds like HAM is going to be a necessary part of my outdoor/car gear.

I have the radios to learn the basics, and with time, I could figure it out. A little coaching and hands on teaching will speed the process, and that what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm looking at the controls of the space shuttle... I don't know where to start.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about your friend.

That was me on the podcast with Glen & crew. We're working on an intro class to offer through his Independence training group. Where in the valley are you? My work schedule sucks but I'll try to help as much as I can.

The link above has net events that are active throughout the week. Those also happen on the busiest repeaters during the day. Getting your radio setup and listening to those is a good step.

Start studying for your tech exam, and pick a date you want to take the test.

We have a good subforum with a lot of information: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_10/22_Ham-Radios.html
This is currently the baofeng bible and also full of good info: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
my other hobby....

join a local club, thunderbird, superstition are good ones

attend club's field day (last weekend in june, every club in NA goes on a camping trip, look it up on youtube)

I'll be at Rio Salado tutoring high power rifle newbs all day sunday. come by.

what part of the valley are you in?

Poole
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]

The ham radio repeater coverage in this state is amazing. It is the best way to summon help when you are out in the sticks.

Program in all the ARA's 2 meter repeaters and you will have coverage

in most of the state.

Add the EAARS system and have coverage in the S.E. part of AZ.

I can stand on my property 16 miles east of Show Low and talk to people down here in the valley with a hand-held radio

using the Rimlink system operated by the ARA.

What part of AZ are you in?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Phoenix & Chino Valley
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Maricopa New Ham Net in the valley tonight: 442.800+ 100.0  @ 1900.

Pretty much turn your radio on and punch in "442800" to be able to listen.  If you need help beforehand, I'll be online.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be at work, but I'll try and jump on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
here as well. 

Well, I listen, I hardly ever talk on my radios anymore. I'm trying to get some friends licensed so I have someone to talk to about my medication and knee problems. 

I need to reprogram my ht and mobile to some basic repeaters again, there are too many on there that are slim to no chance I'd ever use. 

ETA:

Unpleasant, If that class ever gets momentum, shoot me a PM. I have some locals that are interested that I'd probably end up paying to make sure they attend. I'd also be willing to lend my call to help get people on the airwaves. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Will do, thanks for the heads up.

If you feel like playing radio, shoot me a pm and catch me on rimlink or metrolink sometime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top