Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2017 9:13:19 PM EDT
Howdy,

Wife got a new job in Phoenix, we're looking to relocate to Chandler, or there abouts.

Any recommendations for neighborhoods/zip codes?

Market seems hot right now (no pun intended).

How crazy are the summers?

As bad as everyone says?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Chandler is big, and the market is really busy for the Southeast valley including gilbert and queen creek. Zip codes don't matter as much, but your budget is going to dictate where in the valley you'll look. Don't completely write off the idea of renting a house for the first year or so, but your agent will fill you in on that.

The summers aren't bad. You get used to moving from one AC controlled climate to another.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Chandler, Gilbert, parts of Queen Creek all have tons of new builds as well if that is what you want.

I love Chandler.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chandler is big, and the market is really busy for the Southeast valley including gilbert and queen creek. Zip codes don't matter as much, but your budget is going to dictate where in the valley you'll look. Don't completely write off the idea of renting a house for the first year or so, but your agent will fill you in on that.

The summers aren't bad. You get used to moving from one AC controlled climate to another.
View Quote
Trust me, I'd love to rent for a year.

We're about to eat $80K on our first house we've been in for 10 years.

Buy High, sell Low!

Wait, wut?

Anyways, yeah, I'd love to take my time exploring, checking out neighborhoods, shopping areas, etc. without the pressure of "OMG, we gotta move!  Buy now!"

But...my other half is measuring drapes.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheaper to replace drapes and eat a security deposit in a rental than it is to come out of pocket 8% of the sale price at closing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume there's an abundance of off road trails and parks out that way?

For some reason, I have a burning desire to own one of these:

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Rent for 6 months, keep as much of your stuff in storage for that time and buy in the summer.  Prices will stall for a couple months.  Plus that will give you time to learn the drive and what you like in the areas.  There is to much range of things to offer to to buy before you know the area better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you looked into Nevada?  Texas?  Utah is like Germany won the war, so pretty nice.

The waiting list for a vacancy in Arizona is pretty long right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you looked into Nevada?  Texas?  Utah is like Germany won the war, so pretty nice.

View Quote
Sorry broham, wife's new job is in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as trails go, there are millions of acres to go ride on. The Tonto National Forest alone has 2.2 million acres of public land not to mention all the BLM land out here.

Lots of hiking, camping, shooting, fishing, shooting, hunting, shooting, boating, did I mention shooting?

Make sure you check in with Rizzo and pay your "new resident ammo tax" when you get here.

ETA - Off road "buggies" are nice, but Jeeps have air conditioning.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the deal with Gilbert?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Lived in Chandler since 1990, grown tremendously since then.
Where in Phoenix will your wife be working and what type of house are you looking to buy?
East Chandler/Gilbert can offer larger lots but longer commutes.
The commute from the East Valley is getting longer each year.
I line near I-10 and 202 and find it ideal, yard is large enough for the dogs and some citrus trees but not big enough to need a riding mower, 10 minutes to Chandler Mall, 20 to Sky Harbour and maybe 30 to Downtown.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where in Phoenix will your wife be working and what type of house are you looking to buy?
I line near I-10 and 202 and find it ideal, yard is large enough for the dogs and some citrus trees but not big enough to need a riding mower, 10 minutes to Chandler Mall, 20 to Sky Harbour and maybe 30 to Downtown.
View Quote
I live in Chandler(near downtown Chandler) and work downtown Phoenix.  If I drive it is 30 min to downtown at most, and it is pretty consistent unless there is an accident.
Going home in the afternoon is a completely different story.  1-1.5hrs no matter how you go.
I do the park and ride light rail as I dont get all bent while sitting in traffic. and it is consistently about 1:15 each way
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, so we're flying out there for Easter.

What restaurants/places should we visit?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Okay, so we're flying out there for Easter.

What restaurants/places should we visit?
View Quote
That is a hard question to answer there are a bunch of good ones.

Do you like beer? Wine?

What are your favorite genre's of food?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is a hard question to answer there are a bunch of good ones.

Do you like beer? Wine?

What are your favorite genre's of food?
View Quote
probably looking for authentic Mexican food. I'm a native Californian moved to Florida then PA. Looking to get some carnitas tacos and some horchata.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
probably looking for authentic Mexican food. I'm a native Californian moved to Florida then PA. Looking to get some carnitas tacos and some horchata.
View Quote
Morenos
Taqueria Mi Casita
Tortas Ahogadas Guadalajara
Espo's
Elmers
Los Dos Molinos

The list goes on lol.

Where in CA originally?

Carnitas is how I judge Mexican food places.  I would say check menus here, because not all places have carnitas or any pork items sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in Chandler(near downtown Chandler) and work downtown Phoenix.  If I drive it is 30 min to downtown at most, and it is pretty consistent unless there is an accident.
Going home in the afternoon is a completely different story.  1-1.5hrs no matter how you go.
I do the park and ride light rail as I dont get all bent while sitting in traffic. and it is consistently about 1:15 each way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a public safety guy I in no way condone civilized humans SITTING on any benches at light rail stations or bus stops.  Daily I interact with homeless people who openly defacate, bleed and vomit on them and at best they get hosed off every couple of days.  By all means please conserve fuel and cut down on polution but standwhile waiting for your ride.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, we were going to look at houses, but they're all getting snapped up under contract in 2-3 days.

Fuuuuu.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Morenos
Taqueria Mi Casita
Tortas Ahogadas Guadalajara
Espo's
Elmers
Los Dos Molinos Fair warning, if you cant handle heat stay away.

The list goes on lol.

Where in CA originally?

Carnitas is how I judge Mexican food places.  I would say check menus here, because not all places have carnitas or any pork items sometimes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As a public safety guy I in no way condone civilized humans SITTING on any benches at light rail stations or bus stops.  Daily I interact with homeless people who openly defacate, bleed and vomit on them and at best they get hosed off every couple of days.  By all means please conserve fuel and cut down on polution but standwhile waiting for your ride.
View Quote
I never sit down at the stations.  I have seen it all on the trains too.  pissing, spitting, people who have crapped themselves, people throwing up, bloody fights.. it goes on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I assume there's an abundance of off road trails and parks out that way?

For some reason, I have a burning desire to own one of these:

http://www.gofasttrader.com/photos/p122618n2.jpg?=1489007713

View Quote
Did Shannon Campbell build this rig?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's the deal with Gilbert?
View Quote
Gilbert is the best!

Caveat:  Gilbert is among the best places in the country to raise a young family.  Following university, I have lived in cities in each time zone in the nation.  My wife is an USAF brat and was in her thirties before she had lived in the US longer than in Europe / Asia.  We have found Gilbert about ideal for family life.  I grew up in NW Phoenix, and was bored out of my mind.  My own kids, wired into their social networks, are rarely so dissatisfied.

Gilbert shuts down for the night each evening at 8:45 p.m.  Persons without children are typically bored to restlessness.  For standard professional hours, a commute to Phoenix from Gilbert would be more difficult than from other areas.

Anecdote: Gilbert is much like a bedroom community chocked full of information and medical professionals.  A decade ago, when Banner Gateway Hospital was under construction, the power was out at the intersection of Baseline and Higley.  The informed, efficiency minded population approached the 7 lane, 4 way stop in the appropriate fashion.  Traffic throughput was FASTER than with the sensors and lights of the intersection, typically.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
2x ammo tax for you!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#24]
So what's the deal with all these pigeons?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll take you off reading OP. I've been here three years and still exploring!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#26]
AAR (this was snipped from an email to my folks)

I feel much better about the relocation, Chandler is a very nice place.

Everything is clean, no trash on the sides of the freeways/roads, roads don't have potholes, didn't see any illegals hanging about.

Anyways, weather was fine, but I could see how it could get really hot.  Everything is brown/tan/beige.

Tons of stores/restaurants/grocery stores/amenities around that area.

People seemed nice, traffic wasn't too horrible on surface streets, and not many people drove like maniacs.

I was surprised by the amount of manufacturing in Chandler, Intel and Honeywell have big campuses.  Lots of high tech stuff.

The rest of Chandler is made up of big neighborhood developments, tons of homes upon homes.

Lots are small, neighbors are close.

Pigeons seems to be a problem, lots of anti-pigeon strings on roofs.

We saw 14 houses with the realtor, since the market is hot right now, there seems to be a lot of inventory, but they get snatched up quickly.

We were looking at homes from $350K to $450K, 2400sq ft up to 4600sq ft.

Kind of disappointed at the upkeep, a lot of houses you could tell had been beaten on, especially since they're only 10+ years old.  Patched drywall, beat up baseboards, etc.

So all in all, we saw a bunch of houses, the adage Location, Location, Location plays a part.  The closer you are to mall, restaurants, etc, the higher the price and the less sq. footage.  The further out in the boonies gets you a bigger house, but less stuff around you.

I'm leaning more towards the former, than the latter.

We didn't make any offers on any houses since none of them blew our skirts up sufficiently.

Our realtor out there says we'll be in a better position anyways in 3 weeks, since we'll be closer to closing and our contingency offer will hold more weight the closer it is to closing.

She was great, knew the area, and was fun to check out housing with.

To wrap it up, nice place, nice people, nice houses if you can be patient and find one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll take you off reading OP. I've been here three years and still exploring!
View Quote
Cool man, thanks for the offer!

One of the things I'm looking forward to is meeting up with some Arfcommers and having them show me the ropes around that area.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Post up when you get settled. I've been here almost 20 years and have only scratched the surface when it comes to off-roading.

So much to explore, so little time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Post up when you get settled. I've been here almost 20 years and have only scratched the surface when it comes to off-roading.

So much to explore, so little time.
View Quote

I still want this so bad!

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is this the house you closed in on? Looks very nice.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's the one, we just went under contract today.

The backyard sold me.

We're flying out May 4th for the inspection, hopefully we like it.

View Quote
wheres it at?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
wheres it at?
View Quote

Highland Ranch development
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Welcome to AZ! Being here on the forum I think it's safe to say you enjoy shooting? You already have the cuisine part down!

Tons of places to explore, outdoor activities all over. Great place to hunt, fish, hike, ride, shoot, etc. 

Once you land Im sure we can arrange a proper welcome to AZ get together of some kind! A long range shoot, or some NFA goodies in the desert. Wife and I are in 297, so not terribly far away.

As a "Welcome" gesture we would be happy to show you around and share our local knowledge. My profile email is a good way to reach me should you have any questions.

Wife and I are both avid shooters, enjoy motorcycles, ATV/UTV, camping and hunting, scuba diving, and good food (though Im on a no shit diet for a bit so not alot of that going on!)

Dont hesitate to reach out for questions, pointers, or just every day questions.

Again, welcome to the Valley!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Welcome to AZ! Being here on the forum I think it's safe to say you enjoy shooting? You already have the cuisine part down!

Tons of places to explore, outdoor activities all over. Great place to hunt, fish, hike, ride, shoot, etc. 

Once you land Im sure we can arrange a proper welcome to AZ get together of some kind! A long range shoot, or some NFA goodies in the desert.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Welcome OP!
When August rolls around and the heat cooks you to a nice medium-well come up and visit the crew in Prescott.
Lots to see up here and 20 degrees cooler than 'the valley'.

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Highland Ranch development
View Quote
Nice! That's about a mile down the road from me. I'm in Morrison Ranch, Desert Place (Guadalupe Rd & Sossaman Rd)

Welcome to AZ!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice! That's about a mile down the road from me. I'm in Morrison Ranch, Desert Place (Guadalupe Rd & Sossaman Rd)

Welcome to AZ!
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice place, plans to do all tile downstairs or keeping the split with the carpet?  Garage is already tricked out so not much left for home improvement projects it seems.  Other than securing your backyard given it opens to the street and the potential riff raff you might have from down the street.  Get some good polarized sunglasses for driving.  It still amazes me how much traffic crawls driving towards the sun in the afternoon because people don't use visors or sunglasses or both here.  Not like we don't have 300 days of sunshine and half of them over 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nice place, plans to do all tile downstairs or keeping the split with the carpet?  Garage is already tricked out so not much left for home improvement projects it seems.  Other than securing your backyard given it opens to the street and the potential riff raff you might have from down the street.  Get some good polarized sunglasses for driving.  It still amazes me how much traffic crawls driving towards the sun in the afternoon because people don't use visors or sunglasses or both here.  Not like we don't have 300 days of sunshine and half of them over 90 degrees.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Make sure to go eat at Joe's BBQ in downtown Gilbert!

Its one of the best

Joe's Real BBQ
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#43]
How did the house look? 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So what's the deal with all these pigeons?
View Quote
Buy a pellet gun... if you can do so safely you can blast the shit out of those tree rats.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How did the house look? 
View Quote
You see how the title doesn't have Under Contract in it any more?

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Back to square 1?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well shit... Anything we can do to help?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay, here's the skinny.

Flew in and went to look at the one house we thought we wanted and were under contract.

Once we saw it in person and the High School, we decided that it was just not the one for us.

Eject eject eject.

So we went and looked at another house that I had my eye on.

This time it was the one for us.

Behold, me blowing PERSEC and OPSEC:

Click To View Spoiler  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Stay with it. Things are really competitive now, and it may take multiple attempts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Okay, here's the skinny.

Flew in and went to look at the one house we thought we wanted and were under contract.

Once we saw it in person and the High School, we decided that it was just not the one for us.

Eject eject eject.

So we went and looked at another house that I had my eye on.

This time it was the one for us.

Behold, me blowing PERSEC and OPSEC:

Click To View Spoiler  Nice!!
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top