Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2017 11:12:16 PM EDT
I am moved in and working in Cottonwood now. On my way from Sedona to Cottonwood this AM I saw some nice sized pronghorn and it made me want to go after one. So how difficult is it to get a bull elk or pronghorn tag? Someone was telling me that the Pronghorn tags are fewer and more difficult to draw than elk?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Bull elk tags are hard to get maybe every 5 to 6 years or longer depending on what unit you put in for.
Antelope are even harder to get
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The draw for elk/antelope just took place. You will have to wait till next Feb. to apply. Antelope usually needs 18+ points to draw. You can draw a cow elk tag almost every year. Late rifle bull about every 2 to 4 years depending on unit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The choicest bull elk tags will take awhile to draw.  Cow tags and late season bull are easier.

Expect to wait a couple decades to draw an antelope tag.  

Some people get really lucky and draw impossible to get tags on their first try but don't count on it.  Archery and muzzle loader hunts will increase your odds a little.

If you want a decent antelope or bull elk tag you need to put in every year to build up your points.  Once you accrue a lot of points you will eventually get a tag.  If you just put in for cow elk every year you will get drawn often enough that you will never have enough points to have a really good shot at one of the trophy elk tags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm curious, why are antelope tags so hard to get? From my experience they are rather plentiful in my area (Prescott).
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
There's only 825 Antelope tags given out. Probably 50K people trying to draw one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious, why are antelope tags so hard to get? From my experience they are rather plentiful in my area (Prescott).
View Quote
My understanding is that AZ manages antelope more for quality (trophies) than quantity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
As I understand it, AZ antelope herds are very small (a dozen maybe) and antelope fawns are all born on almost the same day, and are able to run with the herd within hours, so a small pack of coyotes can eat almost every single fawn in the herd as soon as they hit the ground, then go back to eating rabbits and ground squirrels for the other 363 days of the year, so the herd cannot grow.

Whereas that same size pack of coyotes eating rabbits 363 days a year can hardly make a dent the fawn crop of a herd of hundreds of antelope out on the great plains.

Poole
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
P-horn are much more difficult to get drawn for than elk. Some elk elk hunts are nearly impossible to get drawn for tho (Ex. GMU 1, 8, and 9 early rifle or archery hunt) while many others are easier to get drawn for. Pending on what you want (Bull or cow). Cow tags are much easier to draw than bull tags obviously.

If you want a P-horn tag in the next 5-10yrs, I would put in for archery hunts. Be warned tho, archery pronghorn is very challenging but very doable. Otherwise, you can always run up to WY and shoot a couple up there. They have a much higher population there compared to here. A lot goes into pronghorn management.

AZ Pronghorn and elk applications for 2017 are done. The next draw will be in winter of 2018 for these species.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've lived here for 31 years.  If you want to hunt elk - CO.  If you want to hunt Pronghorn - NM.  If you want to not get drawn for elk & pronghorn, shoot coyotes and archery deer hunt your ass off - AZ.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
172,736 total elk/ antelope applicants applied for 25,613 elk/ antelope permits.

Good luck, I don't have it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually can reel in a elk tag every other yr. It really comes down to what hunts you apply for. There are leftover tags for Kaibab right now. Its a tough hunt, but still an opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Took ten years of intermittent apps but I got drawn for 6b rifle bull.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I usually can reel in a elk tag every other yr. It really comes down to what hunts you apply for. There are leftover tags for Kaibab right now. Its a tough hunt, but still an opportunity.
View Quote
Have you ever seen an elk in any of those units?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I personally have not. But some my buddies have. I might grab one of those tags for something to do. Kinda cheap tag.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I personally have not. But some my buddies have. I might grab one of those tags for something to do. Kinda cheap tag.
View Quote
I'll think about it just because of the price and it's a good excuse to explore the Kaibab.

I've heard tales of elk in the apple orchards in Wilcox and until a few years ago there was a cow elk that hung out with the cattle off I-10, a little east of Texas Canyon, so I know they make it out of their normal range.

Does anyone know what the temps are like in the 12's and 13's during the summer months?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Whats funny is there have been elk getting down to gila bend and almost yuma in previous years. They didnt survive i dont think. But stuff i have heard from school and other sources.

I would hunt 12a and b in the rut if i get the tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top