Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 10:09:51 AM EDT
Hi there,  I'll be visiting Scottsdale coming this May on business with a little leisure time to boot.  Just wanted to ask from a locals perspective on fun things to do in the area, or worthy hikes to check out.  Will be there for 5 days with 2, maybe 3 days open to do as I please.  Will be bringing the girlfriend along as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn...I'll be home on leave in April.

North Scottsdale or South?

Doesn't really matter but Dillon's, Scottsdale Gun Club and U.S. Auto Weapons are in North and within a few miles of each other (U.S. Auto & SGC are literally next to each other).

There is an impromptu car show every Saturday at The Pavillions; people bring their rods, bikes, etc. and park 'em.

Charleston's is among my favorite restaurants; awesome ribs.  Carlsbad Tavern (South) is another favorite.

Not is Scottsdale but worth doing is Squaw Peak Mountain; Camelback Mtn is nicer but a bit tougher and the trail isn't as easy to follow.

There might be an event (like Barret Jackson) at Westworld.

Once I'm home (in 4 days!) I'll think of some more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Eat at Barrio Queen and Frank & Lupe's  
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
musical instrument museum

desert botanical gardens

an aquarium and butterfly museum (I have not visited, but family members were disappointed)

drive thru the desert

hike camelback, south mountain park, cave creek,

eat at Famous Dave's

Poole
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I've shot plenty of MG's stateside and elsewhere; but the experience would be awesome for the girlfriend!  And who doesn't want to shoot an MP5 again?  Thank you for that! :)

Quoted:
Damn...I'll be home on leave in April.

North Scottsdale or South?

Doesn't really matter but Dillon's, Scottsdale Gun Club and U.S. Auto Weapons are in North and within a few miles of each other (U.S. Auto & SGC are literally next to each other).

There is an impromptu car show every Saturday at The Pavillions; people bring their rods, bikes, etc. and park 'em.

Charleston's is among my favorite restaurants; awesome ribs.  Carlsbad Tavern (South) is another favorite.

Not is Scottsdale but worth doing is Squaw Peak Mountain; Camelback Mtn is nicer but a bit tougher and the trail isn't as easy to follow.

There might be an event (like Barret Jackson) at Westworld.

Once I'm home (in 4 days!) I'll think of some more.
Shucks, we won't be there on a Saturday at all.  Will note the restaurants and hikes mentioned.

Quoted:
Eat at Barrio Queen and Frank & Lupe's  
Noted!

Quoted:
musical instrument museum

desert botanical gardens

an aquarium and butterfly museum (I have not visited, but family members were disappointed)

drive thru the desert

hike camelback, south mountain park, cave creek,

eat at Famous Dave's

Poole
Botanical gardens sound good.  We have a large music museum up here, probably skip that along with Famous Dave's (have that, too).  Noted on the hikes and drive.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump just in case any other input.. be there this weekend!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
-Frank lloyd wright house in Scottsdale.

-Tombstone Tactical
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL, can't believe someone said to eat at Famous Daves.

You want some BBQ? Travel to Phoenix, Little Miss BBQ ( or BobbyQ's for a nice atmosphere)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL, can't believe someone said to eat at Famous Daves.

You want some BBQ? Travel to Phoenix, Little Miss BBQ ( or BobbyQ's for a nice atmosphere)
View Quote
Famous Dave's was laughed at internally.  Turns out one of the girlfriends lady friends is about 30 minutes away.  I'll make that suggestion!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Famous Dave's sucks.

Botanical gardens is pretty lame too.

The phoenix zoo was pretty cool.

Bobby Q's for bbq, or Santan Flat if you want to eat some good ribs around a fire at the base of a mountain.

There was a reptile convention this weekend, there is typically something going on all the time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
It's going to over a hundred this week so if you go hiking do it early and be back early.
Every year lots of people have to be rescued from the trails because of the heat
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's going to over a hundred this week so if you go hiking do it early and be back early.
Every year lots of people have to be rescued from the trails because of the heat
View Quote
Noticed that, not sure if we'll make it given no car transport for this trip.  We went to the gun club today and rented the CZ Scorpion Evo.  Girlfriend had a smile a mile wide.  Her first exp shooting FA.  Made me respect my SBR a lot more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top