Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 3:25:39 PM EDT
Soon I will be moving to an area where I won't have cable, and add to that I am sick of the ridiculously high prices for TV (currently have Cox and Direct). I've been trying to do some research on streaming TV (Sling, Roku, Android, etc) but with my ADD, it makes my head spin trying to figure out what's what, and what the costs end up being since some channels/apps require subscriptions. Then. on top of all that, I need to get a signal. It seems that Verizon might be my best option using a Hotspot and Jetpack. Otherwise, it sounds like I have to use satellite internet, and from everything I've heard about that is it's similar to going back to the stone age dial-up modem speeds.

Anyone doing the streaming TV? Advice?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I got tired of paying the high price as well, I have Roku, like it a lot, I buy netflix and MLB baseball, otherwise I use the free stuff, like on nowhere tv I get channel 3 tv news in the morning. Not sure how it would work with sat. internet services, I can't believe it would work well, I have a basic suddentlink cable connection for internet, and run it off that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for Roku, between netflix, amazon, hulu, lucas off road racing, and the "secret" roku channels I have all the television I need. I also have a hd antenna at the house for local news and channels.  Been without cable for years.

I can also vouch for Verizon jet-pack.  We use that and our roku stick while at the cabin with no internet service, works good but goes through data fast.  I used to run a ps3 in the hotels through a verizon jetpack as well, playing battlefeild.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
In regards to the jet pack, is it 10 Gb or 22 GB when it potentially starts to slow down? I am considering the Roku Ultra, but need to check a little deeper about the Jet Pack. Need to make sure we are going to have enough data. Even though we don't spend a lot of time watching TV, I would hate to have any of my shows start lagging/restarting.

We don't watch a lot of movies, but there are certain TV shows we like. Not sure how TV shows eat up the data vs movies.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Netflix and Sling. Sling pisses me off during high traffic times because it will pause and buffer, but for the price and the channels my kids like I will tolerate it.

ETA: streamed through Apple TV hard wired to my router so I know it's not a connection issue
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for Roku, between netflix, amazon, hulu, lucas off road racing, and the "secret" roku channels I have all the television I need. I also have a hd antenna at the house for local news and channels.  Been without cable for years.

I can also vouch for Verizon jet-pack.  We use that and our roku stick while at the cabin with no internet service, works good but goes through data fast.  I used to run a ps3 in the hotels through a verizon jetpack as well, playing battlefeild.
View Quote
What are these Secret Roku Channels? I have Roku and know not of what you speak!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are these Secret Roku Channels? I have Roku and know not of what you speak!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can find listings of the "secret" channels with a quick google search.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my fire tv with Kodi
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]
We watch either Netflix or a jailbroken Amazon Firestick with Kodi.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I here great things about kodi, have not had the opportunity to check it out yet though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I here great things about kodi, have not had the opportunity to check it out yet though.
View Quote
Kodi, is easy to get started.  Plenty of youtube video's out there showing how to.  Challenge is keeping it working.  Every time they make a change you have to hope they keep the plug in up to date. Plus it
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
We jettisoned direct TV when we moved.  I got tired of having it for close to two decades and having them reward their new customers with super deals but ignoring their loyal, long standing customers. Plus, all the cable and satelitte providers are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Streaming content is the wave of the future. So for the last few years we use an HD digital antenna for local stations along with Netflix.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Centurylink blows. Cox has you by the balls for the internet/TV package. I'm paying $120/mo for regular cable and whatever the medium speed cable internet. It would be $80/mo without the TV. We watch enough regular TV shows that it's worth the extra $40/mo to be able to watch OnDemand throughout the week.

I'm pretty heavily invested in Amazon prime. The Amazon fire stick has worked out really well for us. I've pretty much watched everything decent on Amazon, but they do have some pretty decent original series that come up every couple months. Their $5 movie rentals are worth it too.

Netflix on the fire stick has been decent as well. They really upped their game within the last few years.

Hulu hasn't been worth it so far.

HBO/Showtime/Cinemax are easy enough to buy subscriptions through amazon. I'll start that back up once Game of Thrones comes back this summer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't watched tv in at least 6 yrs, all I got is Netflix and there's nothing on
It that I haven't seen 2 or 3 times
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the insight. Looks like streaming will be the way to go, just need to find a decent way to get internet up there.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Streaming content is the wave of the future. So for the last few years we use an HD digital antenna for local stations along with Netflix.
View Quote
ditto on this^^^^^. this is the same set up I have and it offers plenty of entertainment for me. I catch the news in the morning and sit back at night with a movie.

Bruce
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Roku + Plex here, I have basic cable for the express purpose of wifey gets her football fix.  Otherwise, $480/yr for cable is lame.  $480/yr so she can watch five or six games a year is lame.  I want to dump cable 100% -- anyone have a solution for watching NFL (preferably live) streaming?  Have a Fire TV but dumped it in favor of Roku.  Ran Kodi on it, but adult channels were too easy to find (worried about the kids).

Give me a football streaming solution so I can dump cable.... You will be my hero.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Cut the cord about 2 years ago when we moved.  

Right now we are running COX Internet (120 Mbps).

I have HD antennas on the TV's for the local channels.  On 2 TV's I have a Chromecast hooked up to stream most of our content.  We have Netflix and Hulu Plus (only have Hulu because the a lot of my wife's shows are on Hulu). Also, most of the major networks and HBO and such all support Chromecast streaming in their apps.

We also have a NAS Server that I load all of our movies onto.  We can stream the movies to any of the cell phones or TV's in the house.

I tried Sling TV but hated that everything I wanted to stream to the TV, it wouldn't let me.  It would say that due to copy right issues, that I could only watch it on my Phone or Tablet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We watch either Netflix or a jailbroken Amazon Firestick with Kodi.
View Quote
This is the correct answer. Jail broken firestick is how tv is suppose to be. One time fee of about $50 and internet service.

Anything you want. Anytime you want. Just like using the internet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm using PS Vue, and I really like it. You get some (but not all) of the local Phoenix stations as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Sort of related. First day without DirecTV. I am using an HD antenna and am in the process of setting up Roku.

New channel that I discovered on the antenna, H&I. Heroes and Icons. I watched the Rebel, Maverick, Black Sheep Squadron, Star Trek. Cool station.

CSB 

Setting up the Roku later.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I use Netflix and Amazon Prime, plus Youtube and other stuff via the Amazon Fire box.  Works great.

Haven't had cable TV in several years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#22]
We just shit canned CenturyLink internet and their PrismTV for Cox 150mb and a Sky Stream box with Kodi, Amazon, Netflix and a bunch of others. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I REALLY like my Firestick with Kodi, it exceeded my expectations.
Get some of the legal add ons and you can stream everything from sports to live web cams from around the world.

I like sitting back, drinking beer and watching the drunks on Bourbon street.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know how much it is but you can get the NFL Sunday Ticket without having DirectTV.

Like others I Got tired if DirectTV raising rates because of being an existing customer. BS. After I moved they tacked on another 2 year "agreement" because I was near the end of the contract. Never mentioned inthe conversation. Cheaper to pay the early cancellation fees. Now we went with Cox and after being told there was no activation or install fees i got hit with a huge bill with all sorts of fees. Luckily i am not under contract but suspect some sort of fees exists for canceling.

I may have to look at the HD antennas and stick with Netflix and others. We have a streambox with Kodi, will take some getting used too but may be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like my fire tv with Kodi
View Quote
^^^For the win!

We "cut the cord" about 3 months ago with the help of Kodi (or an Android TV box ~$100). Best part? It has the stuff Netflix does, even Netflix originals. It's super simple. Even got the other half to learn how to use it. We just have an internet bill now and no $130 dtv bill.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Like others I Got tired if DirectTV raising rates because of being an existing customer. BS. After I moved they tacked on another 2 year "agreement" because I was near the end of the contract. Never mentioned inthe conversation. Cheaper to pay the early cancellation fees. Now we went with Cox and after being told there was no activation or install fees i got hit with a huge bill with all sorts of fees. Luckily i am not under contract but suspect some sort of fees exists for canceling.
View Quote
When I had Cox Cable, I found that if you went into one of the Cox Stores, they bent over backwards to help you and waived all kinds of fees.

If I called Cox on the phone, they wouldn't do crap.  I even had the Cox Store employee tell me to never bother calling into Cox.  He said the Cox Store had a lot more leeway in making deals, etc.

Not sure if there is a Cox Store near you, but might want to drop in and see what they say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top