Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 6:25:47 PM EDT
SO is contractor-employed (non-sworn, civilian) kitchen supervisor in State prison.
Facility has the usual gun lockups for CO staff while on duty, at base of watchtowers.

SO wants to be able to have her gun in her car to/from work, and lock it up at facility while on duty (major no-no felony to leave it in car in lot; vehicles subject to search at any time). Very rural area for commute, and in any case I want her to have her gun.

CO in charge of firearm training states unequivocally that State law forbids a non-sworn from using facility lockup for gun. (I cannot, as yet, locate such a statute.)
SO's company HR rep is going straight to Warden to ask permission or policy, as CO above won't allow his authoritay to be questioned.

Any insights?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked as a nurse briefly in a Prison

I got written up for some brass I had left in my car

Id wager odds are not very good to even be allowed to have it on premises to get it to a lock up 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked as a nurse briefly in a Prison

I got written up for some brass I had left in my car

Id wager odds are not very good to even be allowed to have it on premises to get it to a lock up 
View Quote
I did a rotation at Lewis for 5 weeks. They do random shakedowns on employee vehicles from time to time. A gal had a spent 22 casing in her car; almost got fired for it. The answer to your question is hell no.

Another big no-no is cell phones. You can leave it in your car, but not on the yards. Rumor was they go for $750-$1k with the inmates. Read a story about some dude that smuggled some in via peanut butter jars.

Story about an inmate that modified an AM/FM radio that they can buy at the commisary to pick up the frequency used by the officers' radio. Guess they have lots of time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]
No. DOC is paranoid of everyone, even there own staff. Of course if they paid better they would retain better people and probably have less issues of corrupt staff, but that's a whole other issue. They should provide lockers for staff to place there weapons in so they can exercise there constitutional rights but like most government agencies, they aren't concerned with rights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all for the insights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top