Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 1:34:35 PM EDT
Is there anyplace that's better suited to live in AZ, year round for asthmatics?

I'm 56, single, leg amputee, no dependents, and can afford $150k to buy.

Would prefer somewhere away from snow, yet near organized shooting(both pistol and rifle).

Thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Prescott has the best air in the continental US according to the ALA.

You're welcome to find a place to hand your hat if you vote red, otherwise we're full.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Moved to Dewey/ prescott valley last summer from the communist state of NY myself. Great area for gun people and while allergies are hitting hard right now asthma appears well controlled comparatively. ( I work in medicine so see lots of both)
For shooting in the area you will be in heaven- constitutional carry no permit required class 3 full cap magazines many gun shops
For shooting there are four options close:
Chino vallley Prescott sportsman club. Conventional linear range 100 yard rifle and 50 yard pistol. This location is wheel chair accessible if you need that both the range and bathrooms. They shoot mostly bullseye type competitions but the range is open most every day of the week with a range officer present. They can be a bit over the top with some safety issues ( open bolt indicators, have to remove gun from storage container on the line no drawing from holster )
Yavapai recreation league about 20 minutes south of Prescott itself. Awesome range with multiple action shooting bays and they run uspsa steel challenge idpa and icore there, a pistol match pretty much every weekend. Terrain is a bit rough if you were wheel chairing it and only porta potty but one is wheel chair accessible
There are two commercial indoor ranges one in Prescott the other Prescott valley- easy access for both simple 50 foot indoor ranges. Not sure about Prescott but pv location is pistol calibers only
Many locals simply drive out into the national forest land set up targets and shoot but I have not dialed into that yet. Problem there is sometimes due to wildfire concerns will close forest to shooting for prolonged periods of time.
Also we are only about 90 minute drive from the massive ben Avery shooting center just north of Phoenix where lots and f shooting goes on.
Regarding living here Prescott proper can be pricey but the surrounding towns of Dewey Prescott valley and chino valley are much more affordable. 150k for an nice house should be no problem. I live in the Prescott country club neighborhood ( which is actually on the Dewey/PV border) and really nice houses in a safe quiet neighborhood are about 220k, but the smaller duplexes and town houses are in the 150 range.
Also keep in mind about 20 minutes north of chino valley is gunsite ranch as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prescott has the best air in the continental US according to the ALA.

You're welcome to find a place to hand your hat if you vote red, otherwise we're full.
View Quote
No worries there....................at all. I want to be FREE......................and able to breathe easier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
@ captain127,

I couldn't have hoped for a better answer to my question(s)! Thank you very much.  

My biggest obstacle will be having a revision on my stump, and then getting fitted for a new leg. It's covered by NYS Workers Comp. I'll have to see if that's accepted in AZ.

My housing search is on!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@ captain127,

I couldn't have hoped for a better answer to my question(s)! Thank you very much.  

My biggest obstacle will be having a revision on my stump, and then getting fitted for a new leg. It's covered by NYS Workers Comp. I'll have to see if that's accepted in AZ.

My housing search is on!
View Quote
Worst case we do have a world class airport a little south of Prescott if you need to fly back on occasion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top