Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 2:41:09 AM EDT
My engine is leaking from the valve cover, and I was wondering how easy is it to replace the gasket on my car? It is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. I figured I could save $120 on labor cost by doing it myself. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but I do want to learn how to do some basic maintenance on my own. Anyone have any advice? 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely. Be sure you have all the tools for assembly before disassembling (specifically a torque wrench). If you need a torque wrench and cannot manage to borrow one, you might as well just pay the $120 and let somebody else do it unless you need the torque wrench anyways then go ahead and buy one and knock it out. I have a nice digital 3/8 Snap-On torque wrench I'd be willing to assist you with if you happen to be on the west side of town.

Matt
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Buddy just did this on his Kia Sorrento and it got a little messy - everything plastic he tried to take off was crispy and broke.  Brackets, clips, sensors, front engine cover, etc.  Successful in the end, but he ended up doing a timing belt change as part of "valve cover gasket" job.

I say go for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd definitely DIY. Even if you have to buy a manual and tools, you'll still probably be ahead in the end + you have a new tool or two.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll take the other side, do you need the car in a hurry?  If it can sit for a week or two while you overcome any unforseen issues (I assume you have a day job and can mostly work on it during the weekends), go for it.  If being down for a week or two is a PITA or causes your significant other to yell at you, pay the $120 in labor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll take the other side, do you need the car in a hurry?  If it can sit for a week or two while you overcome any unforseen issues (I assume you have a day job and can mostly work on it during the weekends), go for it.  If being down for a week or two is a PITA or causes your significant other to yell at you, pay the $120 in labor.
View Quote
Agree with that but a valve cover gasket should be a one weekend job even with some unforseen issues, unless you have to order another part.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
More likely a 30 minute job and 2 beer breaks
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agree with that but a valve cover gasket should be a one weekend job even with some unforseen issues, unless you have to order another part.
View Quote
13 year old front wheel drive car basking in the AZ heat?  see comment above about plastic parts breaking which might include vacuum tees, wiring sockets and sensor housings.  Nothing I do ever goes strictly to plan.  I'm all for working on your own car, but if you only have one car, it sure makes it hard to run for parts if something unexpected happens.   Which could be as simple as getting the wrong parts from the shop or needed a new bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top