Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 2:03:28 AM EDT
Hey guys, I was on my way back from payson the other day and saw some guys heading off west of the bush highway on that dirt path with steel targets in the back, opposite way of the lake. I had always thought that area was closed to shooting and was wondering if that was right. The reason I ask is it's very close to me and would be a very short drive to go shooting. Anyone know if it's GTG or no go?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes that area is closed when the fire danger is high but lots of people go down there and shoot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes that area is closed when the fire danger is high but lots of people go down there and shoot.
View Quote
Thank you,
Thats good to know since it's so close. For some reason I always thought it was off limits.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The area from 87, west on Bush Hwy all the way into Mesa on Power road is a no target shooting area. The areas north of Butcher Jones in the Tonto NF, like where you go through the gate at the end of Butcher Jones parking lot, are open to target shooting.

It gets extremely busy back there especially on the weekends and shooting won't be too safe. Weekdays during the hot summer months are OK as there aren't any snowbirds to contend with.

I recommend going a bit further north on 87 and turn onto Four Peaks road, go back in a mile or so.

ETA - I see the area east of Bush, north of Butcher Jones is "open", but look for any signage prohibiting target shooting anyways.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
People shoot at sycamore creek all the time unless it's closed because of fire danger.
I assumed that was the area we were taking about which is at the intersection of the Bush highway and Beeline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top