Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2017 11:22:22 PM EDT
I'm in the middle of selling my house.  Buyer's inspection noted that a couple of the windows have acrylic in them instead of glass.  Yes, I knew that because I did it. Broke a couple panes over the years and I work in the sign industry, so acrylic was cheap and available.  Buyer wants the acrylic replaced with glass.  

Out of all the issues the house has (built in '67), this is their ONLY request.  So, I'm going to hop to it.  

These are aluminum framed, single pane windows.  Glass is about 1/8" thick.  From about 20"x24" to around 36"x40".  I can replace the glass myself, but I just need to get some cut.  Any recommendations on who I can call to have glass cut to size in that thickness (and how is glass thickness measured??), non-tempered?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You can probably get the glass cut at ACE, but how about the little plastic retainer pieces that die as soon as you look at them? Don't know if Ace will have them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Where you at OP?

There is a place on Country Club in Mesa called Arcadia Glass that could probably do it.  I've never used them, just driven by a bunch.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where you at OP?

There is a place on Country Club in Mesa called Arcadia Glass that could probably do it.  I've never used them, just driven by a bunch.  
View Quote

House is near I-17 and Thunderbird
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Brice,

Not sure if you got your issue taken care of, but this is a company we've been using for years. Best prices in town, and the will cut the glass while you wait. Can't say enough good stuff about them.

https://cheaperwindowglass.com/
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey Brice,

Not sure if you got your issue taken care of, but this is a company we've been using for years. Best prices in town, and the will cut the glass while you wait. Can't say enough good stuff about them.

https://cheaperwindowglass.com/
View Quote
Thanks!  But fucking sale fell through.  Fuck FHA loans.  If you're selling a house, DO NOT accept FHA loans.

They tied us up for a freaking month.  We were supposed to sign closing paperwork this morning.  

At 4:45 on Friday the other realtor called and said the appraisal came in $12,000 lower than contract.  They used comps that were 5 miles away.  Comps in the neighborhood with similar houses were 10-20k higher than our contract price.  They refused to use them.  It's a joke.  I was pissed beyond belief.  Buyer was begging us to lower the sales price.  I told them to come up with $12k down or keep looking.  

So--- Ridiculously glad I hadn't invested any money in doing the stuff they wanted done.  With FHA you don't even get $1 of earnest money.  They get to keep every penny.  

So, back on the rental market it goes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
That does suck big time. I know we went through hell selling our rental. Our issue was with the window-licking agent and mental midget tennants. Really long story, but in the end, I didn't go to jail for murder. I guess I do possess a bit of self control.

Quoted:

Thanks!  But fucking sale fell through.  Fuck FHA loans.  If you're selling a house, DO NOT accept FHA loans.

They tied us up for a freaking month.  We were supposed to sign closing paperwork this morning.  

At 4:45 on Friday the other realtor called and said the appraisal came in $12,000 lower than contract.  They used comps that were 5 miles away.  Comps in the neighborhood with similar houses were 10-20k higher than our contract price.  They refused to use them.  It's a joke.  I was pissed beyond belief.  Buyer was begging us to lower the sales price.  I told them to come up with $12k down or keep looking.  

So--- Ridiculously glad I hadn't invested any money in doing the stuff they wanted done.  With FHA you don't even get $1 of earnest money.  They get to keep every penny.  

So, back on the rental market it goes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Well....  Maybe there's hope after all.

Somehow my real estate agent got to the lender.  Proved to them that the appraiser seemingly intentionally used fucked up comps and refused to listen to reason.  Lender scheduled a new appraisal with a different appraiser.  We'll see what happens....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a Glass company just down the road from your store on Cave Creek (ABC Glass).   I've bought window pane glass and mirrors from them for years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well....  Maybe there's hope after all.

Somehow my real estate agent got to the lender.  Proved to them that the appraiser seemingly intentionally used fucked up comps and refused to listen to reason.  Lender scheduled a new appraisal with a different appraiser.  We'll see what happens....
View Quote
Miracle of miracles....

The FHA reconsidered and convened some sort of panel of appraisers who reviewed the new appraisal and the correct comps.  Appraisal came in where it needed to be!  

I didn't end up having to fix the glass...  We got the buyer to waive the replacement because of the delays...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top