Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 4:25:53 PM EDT
Well, this might be about to change.

Private sale.
an H&R Garand.  It looks to be in nice shape, but there is wear on the receiver and on the muzzle where it seems there is a shiny ring, most likely from where a bayonet has rubbed.  The wood seems "rough" not worn smooth.  I have no idea if it is all matching etc.  So, is a H&R Garand worth $900?

it includes a sling... wooohoo
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Kinda like asking, what is a old Chevy worth. You do not supply near enough info to make a accurate estimate. May be a welded drill rifle worth little or a correct HRA
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a good one from the CMP for much less.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my M1 from CMP about 18 months ago. I paid $630.00 for a field grade delivered to my door. Where ever you get it from, buy one! Good fun!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Might be worth that.  Just sold an H&R to a friend for $700.00.  Sorry to see it go, but I had to fund another gun, and I have others.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah, the problem is, I don't really know much about the gun, not sure if it is all H&R or if the wood is for the gun.  I have no idea of the ME and TE.  The muzzle looks ok, but who knows.  I think I will offer less as it seems now to be a bit high.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
A HRA that is a  mixture of parts the price is still what they sell for on the open market. Thats not what you need to be concerned with. If you dont need anything about Garands you need to take someone with you that does. Offering less still isnt a deal if its a relcaimed drill rifle or welded receiver
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah, the problem is, I don't really know much about the gun, not sure if it is all H&R or if the wood is for the gun.  I have no idea of the ME and TE.  The muzzle looks ok, but who knows.  I think I will offer less as it seems now to be a bit high.
View Quote
IM me any questions you have on how to disassemble, etc. Make sure the OP rod isn't jacked up. Look at the OP rod slot on the receiver, make sure it isn't warped. Take a 30 caliber round of some sort and try to drop it into the front of the barrel; if it goes in all the way, the barrel is worn. The whole operation of that rifle is like butter so if there is any sluggishness, eject.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IM me any questions you have on how to disassemble, etc. Make sure the OP rod isn't jacked up. Look at the OP rod slot on the receiver, make sure it isn't warped.
View Quote

How would he know what to look for in a op rod?
I have never ever heard or ever seen a warped op rod track. Its impossible
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How would he know what to look for in a op rod?
I have never ever heard or ever seen a warped op rod track. Its impossible
View Quote
I've seen a warped OP rod track. When someone is shooting full power commercial ammunition that isn't for the Garand combined with a rifle that has seen a lot of action, will jack the rifle up good. You can tell easily because the action will be sluggish.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Impossible, the op rod would fail before the receiver track
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
As in pop out while shooting? Yep, that will happen.

I just noticed your location. New Arizonan, prospecting the area, or former Arizonan?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Garands come in several grades of quality (drill, rack, field, service, correct, collector, specials) . Remember the gun is a used military weapon and will show wear and tear.  Almost every Garand out there except for  few never issued rifles will have been through a depot rebuild one or more times in its lifetime. Rebuilds may or may not have correct stocks. If it shows different patina that is normal. If it is all one consistent color then it has been through a major rebuild and has been re-parkerized. I would suggest you go to the CMP site  forums, post pictures and ask questions. That's where the experts hangout.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the track is jacked up, the op rod may have also failed and been replaced. You need to inspect and test out the gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
so... I bought the Garand.  Paid $700.  I may have bought a giant turd, but who knows.  If anyone knows someone I could take it to who really knows Garands, I can run down to the valley, or anywhere else this weekend and get someone's perspective.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
so... I bought the Garand.  Paid $700.  I may have bought a giant turd, but who knows.  If anyone knows someone I could take it to who really knows Garands, I can run down to the valley, or anywhere else this weekend and get someone's perspective.
View Quote
Just go see Bill at the Trading Post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top