Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2016 3:40:40 PM EDT
My wife and I will finally have some time off at the same time in late December so we're thinking of taking a trip somewhere local (we have about a week). We've lived in Az for two years now and neither of us have ever been to the Grand Canyon or Sedona so that's where we're thinking. One or the other or possibly both.

The question is, how are they in the winter? Miserable? Awesome? Easily accessible? Is one better to visit during the winter than the other? What is there to do?

Been Googling and it seems most that have been to the GC during winter have enjoyed it so that's good.

Any advice you guys have would be great. Thanks again dudes!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, they will be quite a bit colder than you would think.  

You may catch them on a mild day, but its a crap shoot.  Sometimes it snows in Sedona and is incredibly wonderful.  a couple years ago, I had nothing going on on Dec 25, so I went hiking in Sedona, weather was perfect.  not cold, but not warm... just right.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sedona would probably be ok, GC is already seeing -4.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sedona would probably be ok, GC is already seeing -4.
View Quote

Really?

eta: well shit, just saw -2 yesterday last night.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Dress warm,  really cool to see under a fresh layer of snow.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Grand Canyon -5 below two days ago.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Grand Canyon is awesome in the winter, much nicer than summer. Less tourists, more color.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
GC in the winter is awesome!!  South rim is open all winter.  The cool thing is, unless you are hiking down into it, you pretty much stay on the edge and are near multiple hotels, restaurants, and bars.  

This is from last November(2015).  We got a room at Maswik lodge and did Thanksgiving in the El Tovar dining room.  

It snowed on us the second day.. this was looking down into the canyon.

The wife and I

Half sunny, half snowy from the Lookout tower

Sedona would be awesome too.  I would stay up Oak Creek Canyon like the Junipine Resort, or you can stay in Sedona proper.  Bring a 4x4 or go on a jeep tour.  There are a few VERY good restaurants there.  We like Rene and Creekside.

Might I also suggest Cottonwood.  They have to very very nice boutique hotels(Iron Horse Inn and The Tavern Hotel) and tons of wine tasting within walking distance as well as wineries near by off of page springs rd.

With a week, you could do both places very easily as well!

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Snow in the canyon gives it a whole other perspective. Hopefully some sticks for you while you are there.

Comfort wise you'll be fine if you dress accordingly.

The only concern I'd have for you is the commute up to the canyon. Just keep an eye on the weather, as i17 near flag and the hwy north of Williams can get slammed to a standstill pretty fast.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GC in the winter is awesome!!  South rim is open all winter.  The cool thing is, unless you are hiking down into it, you pretty much stay on the edge and are near multiple hotels, restaurants, and bars.  

This is from last November(2015).  We got a room at Maswik lodge and did Thanksgiving in the El Tovar dining room.  

It snowed on us the second day.. this was looking down into the canyon.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5815/23272954902_e54fd07fd5_h.jpg

The wife and I
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/687/23250991891_5c6e679fe3_b.jpg

Half sunny, half snowy from the Lookout tower
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5829/22755582643_b50bd1293c_h.jpg

Sedona would be awesome too.  I would stay up Oak Creek Canyon like the Junipine Resort, or you can stay in Sedona proper.  Bring a 4x4 or go on a jeep tour.  There are a few VERY good restaurants there.  We like Rene and Creekside.

Might I also suggest Cottonwood.  They have to very very nice boutique hotels(Iron Horse Inn and The Tavern Hotel) and tons of wine tasting within walking distance as well as wineries near by off of page springs rd.

With a week, you could do both places very easily as well!
View Quote

I remember the thread about that trip. Looks great; thank you!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Snow in the canyon gives it a whole other perspective. Hopefully some sticks for you while you are there.

Comfort wise you'll be fine if you dress accordingly.

The only concern I'd have for you is the commute up to the canyon. Just keep an eye on the weather, as i17 near flag and the hwy north of Williams can get slammed to a standstill pretty fast.
View Quote

Yeah we're from up north so we're used to cold.

I'll keep an eye on road reports. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Took the dogs up to Mt Lemmon this weekend to get ready for a chilly Grand Canyon. Felt good.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top