Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/16/2016 2:20:11 PM EDT
While I believe in the right for an individual to pick their own poison, and understand the business opportunities that are ready for the next wave of entrepreneurs, I'm voting against the measure to legalize weed in AZ.

I don't want Arizona to step towards becoming Colorado-esque, with a dispensary on every other corner and the influx of people related to marijuana tourism.  I work in music industry and see first hand the type of people that flock to Red Rocks for Pretty Lights or Phish concerts.  (Admittedly a broad generalization) They are not the citizenry I want surrounding my daughter, influencing her with behavior accepted as cultural norm.

People can get access to weed through their doctor - cool with me. Once the rest of the states in the southwest adopt the leagalization before us, good. We can join the party at that time after the novelty of it all wears off.  Now is too early to join the marijuana hype club.

There will always be a black market for this, legalized or not and is not a strong enough argument for me to buy into at this time.

But, this is all, like, just my opinion man.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
100% pro legalization.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
personally, i could care less about weed.  i never done it, but i dont smoke in general as well.  but something just makes me thing this is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I believe in the right for an individual to pick their own poison, and understand the business opportunities that are ready for the next wave of entrepreneurs, I'm voting against the measure to legalize weed in AZ.

I don't want Arizona to step towards becoming Colorado-esque, with a dispensary on every other corner and the influx of people related to marijuana tourism.  I work in music industry and see first hand the type of people that flock to Red Rocks for Pretty Lights or Phish concerts.  (Admittedly a broad generalization) They are not the citizenry I want surrounding my daughter, influencing her with behavior accepted as cultural norm.

People can get access to weed through their doctor - cool with me. Once the rest of the states in the southwest adopt the leagalization before us, good. We can join the party at that time after the novelty of it all wears off.  Now is too early to join the marijuana hype club.

There will always be a black market for this, legalized or not and is not a strong enough argument for me to buy into at this time.

View Quote

you are soooo not living up to your screen name.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

With more states legalizing, there will be less "tourism". More freedom is always more better. Just like gun owners, you'd probably be surprised at how many people you interact with on a daily basis use marijuana in some form or fashion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Libertarian in me is on board with legalization, but this measure is not just that.

It is just more crony capitalism.  Sets up a marijuana control board like the liquor control board to regulate the dispensaries.  Only currently licensed dispensaries will be able to apply for licenses for new stores.

Also in the fine print it basically prevents anyone from being prosecuted for any offense if under the influence of marijuana.

There is lots to not like in the proposition, hopefully people will read it before voting.

If it just decriminalized possession and use I would vote for it.  I will vote no on this one.

Doesn't directly affect me anyway, I work in aviation, random drug tests and all that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Libertarian in me is on board with legalization, but this measure is not just that.

It is just more crony capitalism.  Sets up a marijuana control board like the liquor control board to regulate the dispensaries.  Only currently licensed dispensaries will be able to apply for licenses for new stores.

Also in the fine print it basically prevents anyone from being prosecuted for any offense if under the influence of marijuana.

There is lots to not like in the proposition, hopefully people will read it before voting.

If it just decriminalized possession and use I would vote for it.  I will vote no on this one.

Doesn't directly affect me anyway, I work in aviation, random drug tests and all that.
View Quote

Can you cite the portion that it "prevents someone from being prosecuted for any offense if under the influence"?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Hahaha! Nice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
you are either FOR freedom or against it
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

From a truly libertarian standpoint, yes you're right.

But this is a vote on one particular issue that I feel would bring an influx of people to the area that are against other freedoms that we at ARF hold up highly - so this is a vote specfic to the issue, Not one against blanket freedom.  Such is the state of our current democracy.  Voting for the marajuana measure isn't going to suddenly make our nation libertarian or attract conservatives to the state. This measure while allowing people to legally do a taboo thing, establishes significant regulation and increases the reach of legislation relating to the issues, expanding or changing the governments role - among other things.

Again, while I beleive we should work in this direction in the future, NO on the issue for now is where I stand.  Follow the lead of other states first and see if it's something we really want in our state, and let the novelty pass and the liberal  hippies settle down somewhere else first.

Others please share your argument, either way, because I also see the hypocracy for deliberately voting against expanding freedom of choice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what all the open borders and sanctuary city people say also.

They cherry pick and support only the federal laws that they like and disregard the rest.

You are either for rule of law or against it....
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, definitely not for legalization of weed!

If bob marley liked it, I definitely hate it!

And komifornia loves that garbage! I grew up in the horror show!

No thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They cherry pick and support only the federal laws that they like and disregard the rest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, most of the liberals that I had to interact with loved that garbage. Dope was some kind of symbol of freedom to them. They loved the idea of breaking the freedom hating laws that prevented them from using it. Yet now, they want the government to make it legal?!

Liberals are such champions of freedom.

If that's freedom, I take the oppression.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
What happens to the tax revenue from sales at pot shops? The commercial that is out with the Governor of CO. Stating they saw nothing, is pretty powerful. Does it go to roads, schools and the like?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when they pass gun restricting laws you will be all for it, right ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not!

I am for freedom, hell - I'm all about freedom.

But I'm also about rule of law.

I have no problems with States Rights - so if you want a currently federal criminalized substance to be legal then decriminalize it at the federal level first.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm also against it for the Crony Capitalism.

The real purpose of this bill is graft, patronage and government controlled monopolies for the politically connected.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
last thing I want to see is pot needles all over the place.

Damn weed junkies!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you cite the portion that it "prevents someone from being prosecuted for any offense if under the influence"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

36-2860. Possession, personal use and production of marijuana, marijuana products, marijuana accessories
and industrial hemp; definition

B. A PERSON MAY NOT BE PENALIZED BY THIS STATE FOR AN ACTION TAKEN WHILE UNDER THE
INFLUENCE OF MARIJUANA OR A MARIJUANA PRODUCT SOLELY BECAUSE OF THE PRESENCE OF METABOLITES
OR COMPONENTS OF MARIJUANA IN THE PERSON’S BODY OR IN THE URINE, BLOOD, SALIVA, HAIR OR OTHER
TISSUE OR FLUID OF THE PERSON’S BODY.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

36-2860. Possession, personal use and production of marijuana, marijuana products, marijuana accessories

B. A PERSON MAY NOT BE PENALIZED BY THIS STATE FOR AN ACTION TAKEN WHILE UNDER THE
INFLUENCE OF MARIJUANA OR A MARIJUANA PRODUCT SOLELY BECAUSE OF THE PRESENCE OF METABOLITES
OR COMPONENTS OF MARIJUANA IN THE PERSON’S BODY OR IN THE URINE, BLOOD, SALIVA, HAIR OR OTHER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No thanks!
View Quote

Right? Fuck that guy. All he does is sing about loving your neighbors and being a good person. What a fag, am I right?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The real purpose of this bill is graft, patronage and government controlled monopolies for the politically connected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

America is nothing but crony capitalism anymore.

No one has any business telling anyone else what to put into their bodies. Period. Especially when that substance isn't even as bad as alcohol which is legal.

Who cares if there is a dispensary on every corner?  Alcohol is sold on almost every corner. People really have that as a concern?!

I get that it may bring some more leftists but we need to deal with them on individual issues. You don't take away freedoms because you're afraid granting them will bring groups that oppose you. Taking away freedoms because of X?  Is this what America has come to?!  

Sorry. That's one of the most unamerican things I've ever heard. Voting against this is voting against freedom. The excuses I've heard is just obfuscation. If it brings some anti gun retards then we whoop their ass in the polls. We do it on each individual thing.

America is certainly not the home of the brave. I've known that for a while. But not to vote for something because you're scared because of who it might bring in and not the freedom being granted is crazy.

Not that it matters anyway when Hitlary steals the election and starts WW3 with Russia pot will be the last of our problems.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Id like to be one of the last states to do it if possible.  I dont want tens of thousands of potheads moving here and voting for derp.  I also dont want a pot renaissance where usage increases because its cool and legal.    At this time ill vote no on making it a legitimate recreational business.   I would support decriminalization for possession and thats it.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

America is nothing but crony capitalism anymore.

No one has any business telling anyone else what to put into their bodies. Period. Especially when that substance isn't even as bad as alcohol which is legal.

Who cares if there is a dispensary on every corner?  Alcohol is sold on almost every corner. People really have that as a concern?!

I get that it may bring some more leftists but we need to deal with them on individual issues. You don't take away freedoms because you're afraid granting them will bring groups that oppose you. Taking away freedoms because of X?  Is this what America has come to?!  

Sorry. That's one of the most unamerican things I've ever heard. Voting against this is voting against freedom. The excuses I've heard is just obfuscation. If it brings some anti gun retards then we whoop their ass in the polls. We do it on each individual thing.

America is certainly not the home of the brave. I've known that for a while. But not to vote for something because you're scared because of who it might bring in and not the freedom being granted is crazy.

Not that it matters anyway when Hitlary steals the election and starts WW3 with Russia pot will be the last of our problems.
View Quote

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I care if a dispensary opens on every corner.  I don't like what it has done to Colorado in regards to the novelty of being first to market - heavy influx of Pot-Tourism.  For me it's still too early - I'll support this measure once our neighbors have it in place and the novelty of it all wears off.  Keep California (and those who made California) in CA.

Full text of prop 205 here: http://apps.azsos.gov/election/2016/general/ballotmeasuretext/I-08-2016.pdf

To the above that stated all criminal charges relating to MJ, solely for use of MJ: that particular code is "notwithstanding other law"... So, you can still be charged for driving while under the influence of MJ - it's blatantly stated in the first section of 36-2852.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Id like to be one of the last states to do it if possible.  I dont want tens of thousands of potheads moving here and voting for derp.  I also dont want a pot renaissance where usage increases because its cool and legal.    At this time ill vote no on making it a legitimate recreational business.   I would support decriminalization for possession and thats it.  
View Quote

Right here with you.  Fully agree.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
This should have legalized it through the state legislative, with it on the ballot it won't surprise me to see AZ go blue for a Senate seat and President. Your single issue left leaning pot heads, who usually can't be bothered to go vote, will be voting in this election. In just about any state that is enough to swing pendulum the wrong direction.

The biggest mistake that Republicans have made is allowing pot legalization to go to the ballot.

I will not be surprised if it is legal in all 50 states in the next 4-8 years.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same.

It should be decriminalized, but this is a poorly written bill.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you smoke a joint, it's in you for a while. Let's say 7 days for a occasional user. The THC is metabolized back to baseline in several hours, but the metabolites persist, fat soluble.

The bill states I cannot get a DUI for MJ intoxication if they draw blood and find metabolites solely. I have to be glassy eyed, 'stoned,' or some other factor.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#29]
OK so iv heard if you use Marijuana which is legalized by the state, its still illegal on a federal level.  Which in turn means you need to answer yes to question 11 E on the 4473.

Is that true?  Seem like it to me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This should have legalized it through the state legislative, with it on the ballot it won't surprise me to see AZ go blue for a Senate seat and President. Your single issue left leaning pot heads, who usually can't be bothered to go vote, will be voting in this election. In just about any state that is enough to swing pendulum the wrong direction.

The biggest mistake that Republicans have made is allowing pot legalization to go to the ballot.

I will not be surprised if it is legal in all 50 states in the next 4-8 years.

View Quote

+1

But since this will pass.  We can only blame the stupid, want to control everything you do politicians for having a voter dreamed up law.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK so iv heard if you use Marijuana which is legalized by the state, its still illegal on a federal level.  Which in turn means you need to answer yes to question 11 E on the 4473.

View Quote

Yes.  No CCW and no transfers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I voted no on it before I saw this thread. I recently watched a huge documentary on the early years of legalization in Colorado and the swarm of Democrat hippies that came. I don't care if people smoke the devils lettuce but I want less Democrats here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I voted no on it before I saw this thread. I recently watched a huge documentary on the early years of legalization in Colorado and the swarm of Democrat hippies that came. I don't care if people smoke the devils lettuce but I want less Democrats here.
View Quote

Colorado has a different climate and economy then AZ. Most of the pot tourists have already moved to Colorado, Oregon or Washington.
Since California also has full legislation on the ballot I doubt you'll be seeing them come to Az for anything other than why they come now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

With the number of states voting on legalizing it this year or in the next few.  People wont be moving as much for pot.  

While I don't care for how this proposition is written.  One thing that is rarely talked about is then number of people not in jail for pot.  I know in Colorado, this has had a huge effect on the private prisons.  Which to me is big win.  Plus if this frees up officers to work on other crime cases I'm for it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#35]
VOTED TO LEGALIZE IT YESTERDAY AND HAVENT SMOKED POT SINCE HIGH SCHOOL IN THE 1980'S ----BETTER TO BE TO FREE THAN NOT FREE ENOUGH --- PPOEPLE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT CONCEALED CARRY WITH NO PERMIT AND THE MURDER RATE WENT DOWN --- THE PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING TO DRUGS ARE GOING TO DO THEM ANYWAY MIGHT AS WELL SELL CLEAN POT AND TAX IT ---
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOOD

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#37]
POLLS SHOW THAT CALIFORNIA IS GOING TO PASS  - WONDERING ABOUT NEVADA --   40 MILLION PEOPLE IN CALIFORNIA THEY WILL BE SELLING THE HELL OUT OF IT -WONT BE SURPRISED IF THE STORES HAVE SHORTAGES -- AND LAS VEGAS WILL HAVE MORE VISITORS FROM AROUND THE WORLD IF POT IS LEGAL--  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Tobacco smoke causes cancer, but pot smoke cures it? WTF?!

Nope. You want to be a weed-smoker, go yonder. California ain't full, yet. And when the Big One hits, goodbye!

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Put a good legalization law up for a vote and I'll support the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm on the same page as OP.

Not opposed to MJ use in principal.

I have more concern over the second order effects with respect to valley demographics.  IMO our societal makeup is already "borderline" with respect to overall politics and (to paint a broad stroke) concentrations of just plain-old general weirdoes. I'm hesitant to support anything that has significant potential to further degrade things.

Also what's the potential fallout with respect to cartel activity altering their "business model" to make up for the decline in MJ demand from Mehico?  Is it a factor? Isn't it?  I dunno..
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#43]
The War On Drugs gave us Gonzales v. Rich
That ruling has further been used as basis for smashing your gun rights.

As a cop I'll say that Alcohol and its problems are way worse than anything that marijuana by itself causes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The War On Drugs gave us Gonzales v. Rich
That ruling has further been used as basis for smashing your gun rights.

View Quote

A million time That.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#45]
As you look around you notice a real shift / change in things in this country. The millennials and gen x are going in a different direction than ever B4. We are now turning into a Socialist nation with the gays and transgenders demanding and getting what they want . Add to that an invasion of illegal aliens from the third world being encouraged to break our immigration laws by the Obama administration and the cartels making a fortune on cheap drugs and human smuggling . It is no wonder things are fucked up . IMHO you are not going to stop people from getting high . I am in favor of really cracking down on hard drugs like meth , cocaine and heroin and making the punishment for sale much more severe. However weed is no worse than booze and booze is legal . So IMHO lets make it legal and at least get the tax revenue .
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#46]
All the people I know from the HTF who have a MMJ card are silent, no one wants to get that perms ban.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No thanks!
View Quote

I voted no, FBHO, FHRC and FCALI
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but you legally cannot have a weapon transferred to you if you  consume Arizona legal marijuana.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh noes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I cannot imagine using drug money to benefit education.  Don't we stand for something?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top