Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 5:07:34 PM EDT
This question is for the guys that actually hunt, fish, hike, camp etc.

I have verizon because I have always found it to have the best coverage when I'm out of the city. If I fall and break an ankle while fishing a small creek 10 miles of the main road on the rim I want the best chance of being able to make a call or at least send a text.

My wife is trying to get me to get on her TMobile plan. It would be cheaper for both of us, but I don't want to give up the coverage I get with verizon.

What plan are you guys using and are you happy in respect to my question. I don't care if you have some cheap plan that always has 4 bars at the mall. How is it once off the main roads and out of the city?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When I worked at SRP we had T-mobile(then switched to verizon for the coverage).. it was useless at most of the outlying sites.  Things might have changed in the last 2 years, but that was my experience.

You could always go with the cheaper plan, then use the money you saved and then some more to get a delorme inreach satelite messenger/rescue beacon that will work wherever you see sky.
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

my dad takes an inreach se when he goes backpacking, its pretty neat.  I was able to text my wife from the middle of nowhere.  They have plans that are pretty cheap reocurring, or you just pay them as you need it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
T MOBILE SUCKS , I have T Mobile and the coverage in out lying areas sucks . Verizon is the best in AZ .
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Tmobile has probably the worst coverage in the area
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread might be relevant to OPs interests.

WARNING: Requires venturing into GD. You've been warned!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I hike, camp and work between Flagstaff and south of Tucson. Verizon is the only carrier that has worked for me everywhere I go in AZ. I had T-Mobile before Verizon and I would drop calls in areas others with Verizon did not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have AT&T because I worked for them.  We went camping back in May up on the Rim and had absolutely no coverage.  We had to ask some stranger to use their Verizon phone to call the folks we were supposed to meet up with.  We will be switching to Verizon shortly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If that's your reason, stick with Verizon. I've had both, and I absolutely hate Verizon.

I'm on T-mobile now (and I love it primarily because I'm not getting screwed by Verizon every month),
but I was on Verizon before. There's literally no comparison between the two once you get out of
big cities and large-ish towns, T-mo will go to zero bars, and Verizon will still have coverage.

Also, in NE AZ, T-mo has even more limited coverage and your primary coverage is actually roaming
through Cellular One (which seems to have a lock on GSM-based coverage in NE AZ). This is an issue
because while postpaid will roam fine there, prepaid often will not work.

For point of reference, in the past month I've covered most of northern AZ along I-40 (Flag,
sunset crater, over through Holbrook, Snowflake, Show Low, etc.) and had virtually no coverage
on T-mo once I was more than a mile or two out of town. No such problems with the Verizon phone
in the past. When I forced my phone over to Cellular One I got decent coverage starting around
Snowflake through Show Low and no problems in the towns themselves.

Also, if you're really getting into the boonies, you might want to pick up a ham radio license,
you'll get coverage from that using a 2M radio no cell provider can touch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had Voicestream/Tmobile for 16+ years.

Verizon is your best bet outside of town. It works a lot better in the far North (Cave creek) part of the valley, and on i17 and 87 outside of town.

You should also consider looking into amateur radio as a backup plan for hunting/hiking. A $15 license and a $40-100 one time radio purchase gets you a whole hell of a lot of connectivity over most of the state.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Verizon is best.  Alltel was the best by far, especially out in the sticks, but AT&T bought them up and replaced the awesome Alltel coverage with shitty AT&T coverage.  I really miss Alltel .
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Is Verizon on par with speed to AT&T?  I had to switch from Verizon about three years ago because my ex-gf lived in a home where only AT&T worked.  Happy Valley and 53 Ave.  

I noticed after going to AT&T that the overall speeds on the net where faster.  

If this has improved, than I'll probably go back once my AT&T plan is up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Verizon on par with speed to AT&T?  I had to switch from Verizon about three years ago because my ex-gf lived in a home where only AT&T worked.  Happy Valley and 53 Ave.  

View Quote

AT&T has the fastest network. They're also right neck and neck with Verizon for the best coverage in the valley as well. That's why I have AT&T...primarily the faster network, and no one's coverage is better in the valley either (where my phone is used 99 percent of the time). I also get a bundle deal for having both AT&T and DIRECTV.

That said, and as many others have already said, I know Verizon kicks ass up in rural northeastern AZ. I'm on the Rim a ton, Heber, Show Low, Greer, Snowflake, Strawberry, etc. My buddy with Verizon always gets better service than I up in those areas. That said, it seems like AT&T has maybe added a new tower or something around the Rim area fairly recently. For years, I just got spotty service in very particular areas up there. I've been up two weekends in the past month now, and got pretty good service all over those last two trips. Who knows.

And, yes, T-Mobile is terrible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

AT&T has the fastest network. They're also right neck and neck with Verizon for the best coverage in the valley as well. That's why I have AT&T...primarily the faster network, and no one's coverage is better in the valley either (where my phone is used 99 percent of the time). I also get a bundle deal for having both AT&T and DIRECTV.

That said, and as many others have already said, I know Verizon kicks ass up in rural northeastern AZ. I'm on the Rim a ton, Heber, Show Low, Greer, Snowflake, Strawberry, etc. My buddy with Verizon always gets better service than I up in those areas. That said, it seems like AT&T has maybe added a new tower or something around the Rim area fairly recently. For years, I just got spotty service in very particular areas up there. I've been up two weekends in the past month now, and got pretty good service all over those last two trips. Who knows.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2 on all this. I've had Att since back when it was Cingular. Some friends have slightly better coverage with Verizon on the rim, but not enough that it makes me want to switch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<snip>

Also, if you're really getting into the boonies, you might want to pick up a ham radio license,
View Quote

This. Repeater coverage in AZ is amazing to say the least. I can't think of one spot in AZ I've been in that I couldn't access a repeater.

Some studying, $15 to take the test and a $30 hand held transceiver is all you need to have excellent emergency/non emergency comms out in the "boonies".
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Repeater coverage in AZ is amazing to say the least. I can't think of one spot in AZ I've been in that I couldn't access a repeater.

Some studying, $15 to take the test and a $30 hand held transceiver is all you need to have excellent emergency/non emergency comms out in the "boonies".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

I've always wondered how that works. Like does someone hear you and call 911? Does DPS listen to freqs?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, then I'll stay with AT&T.  I'm supposed to go up to the rim in November, but I have a feeling the group I'm going with won't pick a very remote spot.  I don't get to go there much anymore, so I'd rather have the faster service here in town.

I always felt that Verizon was too congested, henceforth the slower speeds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've always wondered how that works. Like does someone hear you and call 911? Does DPS listen to freqs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

No, you access a repeater (receiver/transmitter) located on a mountain top, the same as you would to communicate with other ham radio users.  The repeater rebroadcasts your signal at a great distance than simplex would.  Some repeaters have phone patch system you can access with a keypad on the radio.  It's been years, but usually it's something like pressing the # key, or maybe a code.  Once you access the patch it'll give you a dial tone and you simply dial the phone number.  Most of them are limited to a few minutes access.  911 IIRC will not limit your time.

ETA: So when you call someone, others will hear your call.  Any ham radio user listening will hear what you say.  We used to use it to check in with family (wife, GF, ect..) and let them know we were safe back in the 90s.  It's not a private system.  Dialing 911 will allow unlimited time so you can be helped.  DPS/Police won't have access unless they just happen to be hams.  Only people usually listening are ham users.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can call 911 yourself via autopatch, or ask if theres anyone listening to help. Often the repeater will seem like it's
dead and no one is listening, and you can even ask for stations and get no reply, but if if you say it's an emergency
people will suddenly pop up. There's also a thing called long-tone zero (you just press the 0 button on your keypad for 10
seconds) that will trigger alarms if the repeater (or listeners) support it.

For AZ from Phoenix northwards, there's a linked repeater system called RimLink that pretty much lights up the entire
state, but IIRC doesn't have an autopatch. If you declared an emergency on Rimlink though, 99% chance someone would
answer, there's a lot of ears on those repeaters (9 total including the 440MHz ones.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm suddenly interested in HAM radios!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Tmobile has probably the worst coverage in the area
View Quote
This.  I have Verizon and hunt all over.  Actually stopped carrying a radio most of the time.   Tmobile, my wife dropped calls daily in my frigging backyard.  They actually asked if we had tall trees.   Seriously.  We switched the next day.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Verizon is best.  Alltel was the best by far, especially out in the sticks, but AT&T bought them up and replaced the awesome Alltel coverage with shitty AT&T coverage.  I really miss Alltel .
View Quote

I used Alltel due to it having the best coverage in Az. Verizon aquired Alltel, then rented the tower bandwidth to other carriers (which is what Alltel did in the first place). Verizon is the best for overall coverage in the sticks, just watch out in the south boarder area, they will try to switch you to telephonica and charge you international roaming.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I used Alltel due to it having the best coverage in Az. Verizon aquired Alltel, then rented the tower bandwidth to other carriers (which is what Alltel did in the first place). Verizon is the best for overall coverage in the sticks, just watch out in the south boarder area, they will try to switch you to telephonica and charge you international roaming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I was in one of the areas that got divested off to AT&T after Verizon bought Alltel, I should have said that rather than AT&T buying Alltel, you were correct that Verizon bought Alltel. I wish I had been able to simply convert over to a Verizon plan, but all I had ever used in Arizona was Alltel, and I just assumed I would get the same service I got with Alltel. Pretty naive of me, and I was disappointed for quite a while.I ended up switching over to Verizon after a couple of years after I just got tired of not being able to use my phone more often than not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's another AT&T bonus...they now include free Mexico roaming in their plans.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Switched from ATT&T to Verizon and the coverage difference is noticeable. Verizon works very, very well in this state.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]
AT&T is advertising that they are within 10% of Verizon in coverage and half the price . If that is the case I am switching from T Mobile to AT&T . Anyone have AT&T and likes it ????
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Any ham clubs in the NW valley? Know next to nothing about it. My wife's late grandfather did it, but I only met him once. Looks like fun, and something to flush money into.

ETA: tmobile is good in the NW valley. Once you get into the mountains (read: hills) around Westwing, it flippin' sucks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm suddenly interested in HAM radios!
View Quote

C'mon in..the waters fine.
ARFCOM Ham Radio beginners thread.

Then wade into the forum. Ask any question and you will get a no BS response. The best ham forum on the 'net.
ETA - Arizona repeater Association Repeater map.

There is another linked system called EAARS (Eastern Arizona Amateur Repeater System I think) that has coverage all over eastern AZ down to the Mexican border IIRC. It's been years since I've been on that system.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Outside of town:

Verizon = Best
T-mobile = Bad but getting better
ATT = bad
Sprint = you have to be F'in kidding me.

Inside town:
Everyone is about the same (T-mobile is cheapest), except Sprint, which also sucks in town.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had Sprint and Verizon here in AZ. Verizon hands down is the best. I had closed my Verizon account and just used my sprint work phone as my personal as well to save money and after 6 months I couldn't take it anymore and went back to Verizon.

Check out their prepaid plans. I now pay $65/month after tax for unlimited talk/text with 5gb of data. I think the speed is throttled down after you use 2 or 3gb tho. When I originally went back I was paying $48/month for unlimited talk/text with 2gb of data and they give you an extra gig if you sign up for autopay.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I took my verizon phone over to pageplus wireless
They use the verizon network without all the verizon bs and costs
I'm on the $30 plan now becuase I dont use that much data.
I have never had an issue with coverage.

But I dont like contracts or payment plans for phones.

*eta: its online mostly or supported by small shops so if you can't figure out a sim swap you may be better off with one of the big4
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Stay away from Sprint and T-Mobile. They are cheap for a reason and certainly not cheap enough to justify using them.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have AT&T because I worked for them.  We went camping back in May up on the Rim and had absolutely no coverage.  We had to ask some stranger to use their Verizon phone to call the folks we were supposed to meet up with.  We will be switching to Verizon shortly.
View Quote

I retired from tem as well and tried to be loyal. It was a well intentioned mistake. AT&T coverage is just plain awful in northern AZ.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Pick up a Find Me Spot GPS locator.
From it you can check in that you are OK, it will send a pre designated e-mail to the recipients of your choosing, and there is a 9-1-1 button.
Yes the cavalry will ride and find you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top