Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2016 10:16:36 PM EDT
My wife wants us to vacation in Rocky Point over Thanksgiving weekend. We've never been there before, and would like hotel recommendations from those of you that have been there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I once stubbed the f*ck out of my toe on the concrete Mexican box spring at the Viña del Mar.  That's the "Vine of the Sea" (the seaweed).  Otherwise was Rocky Point OK.  But I think that was in the 90s.

You might wanna wait for other recommendations.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Playa Bonita.

The old original on the beach to the best of my knowledge.  Great patio and many good times.

If you have a camper, stay at The Reef, down the beach on the other end.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Las palomas.  Very nice.  Great beach and pools.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I recommend not going
If you do go, have some cash to give up when your robbed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Playa Bonita.

The old original on the beach to the best of my knowledge.  Great patio and many good times.

View Quote

No more camping on the beach at The Reef.. and to that note, "The Reef" as we know it is no longer there. The RV park on the one side is still available. "The Reef" is now "Wrecked At The Reef" and is at the entry way for the new mile+ pier where they expect cruise liners to dock.

I would recommend looking at AirBnB to see if there are houses or condos available, that is usually the way to go. We used to tow the RV's down all the time, but it is a bit of a hassle for a few days. For Thanksgiving this year we booked a house on the beach.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I recommend not going

View Quote
I agree.

Don't give money to corrupt countries, and don't go to countries where you will be raped and robbed.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree.

Don't give money to corrupt countries, and don't go to countries where you will be raped and robbed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recommend not going
I agree.

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No more camping on the beach at The Reef.. and to that note, "The Reef" as we know it is no longer there. The RV park on the one side is still available. "The Reef" is now "Wrecked At The Reef" and is at the entry way for the new mile+ pier where they expect cruise liners to dock.

I would recommend looking at AirBnB to see if there are houses or condos available, that is usually the way to go. We used to tow the RV's down all the time, but it is a bit of a hassle for a few days. For Thanksgiving this year we booked a house on the beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Playa Bonita.

The pier project is over and falling into the ocean.  Now it's more of a bolder infested fishing dock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recommend not going
I agree.

Like the US?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Like the US?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recommend not going
I agree.

Like the US?

Sure ****tard, when's the last time a mayor was executed by drug lords in the US? I used to love Baja by motorcycle, but they can have their shithole of a country now.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure ****tard, when's the last time a mayor was executed by drug lords in the US? I used to love Baja by motorcycle, but they can have their shithole of a country now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recommend not going
I agree.

Like the US?

So the US is lily white perfection?  No corruption,  rape, or robberies?  Do you even new york, California, or maryvale bro?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife wants us to vacation in Rocky Point over Thanksgiving weekend. We've never been there before, and would like hotel recommendations from those of you that have been there.
View Quote

I have nothing constructive to say other than....Bandwagon.  It's like The Love Boat boat for Phoenix socialites and keeping up with the Jones's.

With that said, whatever place has the Grand Myan I hear is the place to hashtag all your Instagram vacation pics and Facebook from...
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I will be staying at the Grand Mayan from Nov 12 to Nov 19th.  I will be back in PHX on 11/14 but ill be down there that whole week if anyone wants to drop by.

On the 15th, I am looking to rent a Fishing boat for the day.  It is $510 and there are two of us so far.  If you want to spend a day catching big edible sea monsters, come on down.

Also, Rocky Point is probably one of the safer places in Mexico.  They dont have the drug corridors going through there.  They had one murder there 5 years ago.  And it was a local.  The place is a tourist trap and they dont want to lose those tourists.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:39:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the replies.

I found out the day after I posted that I was being laid off, so any trips are on hold for who knows how long.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I found out the day after I posted that I was being laid off, so any trips are on hold for who knows how long.
View Quote

Damn, that blows.  Good luck with your job search.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe you can get a job down there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
We have had our own place on the beach at La Cholla for 30 years.  We feel very safe there.  Safer than in either Tucson of Phoenix.  We suggest the Pa Paloma hotel.  They have a nice restaurant and beach.  However our two favorite restaurants are the Lighthouse and Maria Bonita at the edge of the wharf.  The lighthouse has a hard road to find but is worth it.  Next door to it is the Captains Table which is better for parties.  Take a bunch of dollar bills to give to the red cross folks.  Travel durint the day.  At night just stay on the main streets.  Actually I have gone on to side roads many times in Penesco and have never been accosted in any way.  Get insurance in Ajo at the big service station if you come from Phoenix and at Lukeville at the gas station if you come from Tucson.  DO not travel in Mexico without insurance!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
San Carlos/ Guaymas is nicer, but doesn't have the party scene that some want. At least that's my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I recommend not going
View Quote

When was the last time you where in Mexico?

Those of us who've been their often and have family there know that the media hype and doom and gloom isn't the whole truth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Those of us who've been their often and have family there know that the media hype and doom and gloom isn't the whole truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recommend not going

Exactly, since all the Gang Hype there have been no Gringos hurt in RP except a couple who rolled their dune buggies on the sand hills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top